ganue (daughter and sons) 1993 MX-3 GS-SE

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
wytbishop

Re: ganue (and sons) 1993 MX-3 GS-SE

Post by wytbishop »

My SE has the power group and sunroof with heated seats but no A/C...figure that out!!!

I did find out the other day that it is wired for A/C. At least there is a harness for the A/C button in the vent.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
acexl

Post by acexl »

i wonder wh would they leave A/C out? i mean its an Special Edition....suppossed to have all u need/want .....how's AC not basic priority?.....tho i have to admit.....i dont really use my ac, but if its raining outside not having AC is such a pain, so yeah just when it rains i find myself using it
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Two points to the Protege guess. And, yes, this was on Craigslist a little while ago...

Lookee here:

Now I have two issues:

1) Gotta take those damned labels off
2) My 17 yr old was right
1993 GS SE - "slow" (Stock) - SOLD
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1993 GS SE - acquired 4/28/2013, SOLD February 28, 2015

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
2009 Mazda5 Grand Touring
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

My SE has black heated leather seats, cruise, all pwr options, sunroof, MTX, no a/c.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

OK - Status of SE #2:

Exhaust off, interiror being purged of previous owners bad smoking habit (cleaned up great now just needs a pound of baking soda or something), underside cleaned up, falsified LX badges gone, old engine and trans almost ready for removal.

Summer Plan:

1) JDM Eunos 800 (I assume) KLZE curved neck (of course) Arrived 3 June 2009
2) MX-3 flywheel from existing engine Done
3) MX-6 or Probe GT clutch (need ideas if this is NOT the way to go) Done
4) JDM MS-8 (I assume) LSD Trans (plus modified halfshafts if needed) Done (splines are the same, carryover halfshafts)
5) Brake replacement as needed Done
6) Struts?? Done (sort of)
7) Tires Done
8) Oh - KL-36 ECU - ok its for an auto....we'll see if the list is right that its ok for a manual Done
9) Stick with the JE50 VAF or change. Guys....guys???......GUYS!!!!?? Done

On point 4, there is a controversy on the list. Seems that there are some who think the LSD won't accept stock MX-3 halfshaft as is and some that say its a plug-in. I'll let you know what I find in a couple weeks.

============================================
Update June 3, 2009:
Controversy over - I got the trans and the splines are the same as all MX-3s...no VIN numbers on trans or engine so I cant trace the origin of the trans...I am assuming it is a from JDM MX-6...for those skeptics, I verified the LSD - both outputs turn the same direction!!!
=============================================

Comments please?????
Last edited by ganue on September 16th, 2009, 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1993 GS SE - "fast" (Curved neck KLZE, OBX headers, custom 2.5" exhaust, KL36 ECU, Exedy Probe GT clutch, KL36 LSD - the real one, Lantis Type R lefthand halfshaft - unfortunately worth mentioning)- SOLD

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

acexl wrote:i wonder wh would they leave A/C out? i mean its an Special Edition....suppossed to have all u need/want .....how's AC not basic priority?.....tho i have to admit.....i dont really use my ac, but if its raining outside not having AC is such a pain, so yeah just when it rains i find myself using it

To order a SE without AC was possible when the car was new. I drove a Laguna Blue SE here in BC a few years back and it didnt have A/C either. I questioned the owner about this and he said that when he bought it off the original owner years back he asked the same thing. That original owner said that he had the car ordered with NO a/c as he didn't think it was necessary for the mild climate in the Vancouver region.
ganue wrote: MX-6 or Probe GT clutch (need ideas if this is NOT the way to go)
Thats what you want yes, to save money get a exedy clutch kit from eBay for a probe. Got one in my car, works good, light pedal an is cheap.
ganue wrote: Oh - KL-36 ECU - ok its for an auto....we'll see if the list is right that its ok for a manual
There are now arguments on PT that the 36 is actually the manual tranny ECU. Either way, it will work no problem Or you can save a few bucks and get your k8 chipped to proper specs.. email probegtze @ hotmail.com for more information.
ganue wrote: Stick with the JE50 VAF or change. Guys....guys???......GUYS!!!!??
Stick with JE50 with chipped ecu or with kl31/36.
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Thanks for the replies - that narrows down a few things - I just requested the Exedy clutch from a fellow member so nice timing..!!!

Got the KL36 ECU so I'm ready to go....there's just one thing....

I want to GIVE AWAY -FREE- the existing stock K8, 5 speed, and computer.

[UPDATE June 29, 2009 - all the transplant spares are gone!!! Gone to a new home where they can be used by a knowledgeable fellow member!!!]

I can't post on the FS forum yet so I'll do it here.

Here's everything I know:

1) Engine and trans will be out of the car in the next 2-3 weeks (please look at my posting date here...)
2) Engine did start and run BUT definitely sounds like the previous owner lunged a rod due to lack of oil
3) Car was flatbedded to my house - never have shifted the trans but static it seems ok through all gears. The only hint I have is that only about a cup of thick black lube came out when we drained it....
4) I have to pull the flywheel off the existing engine but all else is someone's for the taking.
5) Oil pan and maybe a few other things will be removed (but included) just for the curiosity satisfaction - I'll take pictures if there is anything to be seen
6) Disty and EGR may be pulled as well as any other bits to help revive the car when the ZE is in
7) LOCAL PICK UP ONLY!!!!! Did I mention local pick up only?
8) 134K miles on the clock
9) For clarity - ITS ALL FREE!!!
10) No interest in parting anything out - junkyard or your yard...

I think that's it....oh - car is in beautiful Waterford, MI - about 4 hours from Toronto...for my geographic neighbors...

Ask questions....
Last edited by ganue on June 29th, 2009, 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
muttpower
antispam: No

Post by muttpower »

hmmm...mx3 lx??? is that anything like a mustang gtr, or an SER SPEC V Honda??? LOL. Just incorrect badging. But at least they kept it in the mazda family
1992 MX3 GS (My Project Toy)
K8DE, see web site...too many mods to list, but still growing.
2006 Dodge Durango (The Family-Mobile)
Every time you race a Honda Civic, a kitten kills a retard.
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

OK - Engine's out as of today. The boys took it out with the trans.

And what remains is a big ZE hole......:

And its been cleaned up since the picture was taken....

Trans was separated, K8 flywheel removed and waiting for the 2.5L.....

Again - engine and trans are available FREE!!!

We pulled the oil pan and front valve cover and found nothing out of the ordinary. The engine will run, but please know there is a notable CLUNK CLUNK and the previous owner told us he "ran out of oil". The lower end seems to be fine - rods, pistons all seem to be in place and smooth, although a few oil pan bolts broke in the process of removal....

Front cams are fine and all valve "buckets" look ok....must be something in the rear head....
Last edited by ganue on June 4th, 2009, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Replace the factory "Quick Couplers" on the coolant lines at the firewall where they enter the heater core. They are a 15 year old plastic ticking time bomb.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
ganue
Supporting Member

Post by ganue »

Nice catch - don't see that writtten up too much in the various ZE installation topics......

Thanks....

1985 RX-7 GSL-SE - SOLD
2003 VW GTI 1.8T
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Not everyone breaks the quick couplers but they're a PITA to replace w/ the engine in! wytbishop, did you get your direct from mazda or find another car model that will work? I couldn't get the Ford ones I found to work, they were similar but too different.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I brazed a barbed fitting onto the heater core. If the heater core ever blows I'm selling the car. That's a job I refuse to do.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

Wyt, If it blows I get dibs!!
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

onlytrueromeo wrote:Not everyone breaks the quick couplers but they're a PITA to replace w/ the engine in! wytbishop, did you get your direct from mazda or find another car model that will work? I couldn't get the Ford ones I found to work, they were similar but too different.
I stumbled across these connectors at a a regular auto store... I think they were just a generic one for chevy's or something but it was identical to ours.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”