supercharged 1.6 sohc

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
kego

supercharged 1.6 sohc

Post by kego »

okay so i have seen there is some dicussion as to a supercharged 1.6 sohc. is there any definite way to make this work with out some major customizing? is it cost effective?
Savin

Re: supercharged 1.6 sohc

Post by Savin »

kego wrote:is there any definite way to make this work with out some major customizing?
No
kego wrote:is it cost effective?
No
The cheapest/easiest way to make power from the 4-cyl has been discusses many many times. I'll let you search on that.
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
kego

Post by kego »

i have but i like superchargers
Savin

Post by Savin »

You're not going to get any significant gains of HP though. Some people have turbo'd the sohc to impressive numbers, but I've only heard of that through other members on the board.
Even the few supercharged klze's out there don't really do any better than a turbo'd ze (from what I can tell) I think the only reason people do it is for the sound the supercharger/belt make.

If you have the time/money/skills to do it, then go for it! I'd like to see it done.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

Savin wrote:You're not going to get any significant gains of HP though. Some people have turbo'd the sohc to impressive numbers, but I've only heard of that through other members on the board.
Even the few supercharged klze's out there don't really do any better than a turbo'd ze (from what I can tell) I think the only reason people do it is for the sound the supercharger/belt make.

If you have the time/money/skills to do it, then go for it! I'd like to see it done.

how do you figure? boost is boost. it doesnt matter if its from a turbo or supercharger. whats the difference between 8 psi from a s/c to 8 psi from a turbo?

ANSWER: a turbocharger has lag. a supercharger is active at lower rpms. you will get same HP numbers with both but the power band will be longer with the supercharger.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Savin

Post by Savin »

Yes, boost is boost, that's why i said a supercharged ZE was similar to a turbo'd one, people make similar amounts of power, correct?
But What I'm saying, Kego probably wants to SC the stock SOHC. Wouldn't it make sense to upgrade the internals to withstand significant amounts of boost for prolonged periods of time? If he were to use the the motor he has now (without upgrading internals), don't you think it would be wise to keep the boost low?
With a car only having 88hp stock, then putting on low boost (to protect it) it wouldn't see much gain. I can't really remember, but didn't the old turbo kit for the SOHC only put it to around 130hp? Or am I just thinking nonsense? I'll look back at older threads and post what I find, that would give a general idea on power...I think.

If my thinking is wrong, then it is...and I'll just delete my posts later...
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Your thinking is not wrong, why would you supercharge a stock SOHC I don't know.

Kego's posts have been annoying me...maybe its just me.
Savin

Post by Savin »

Ok, I did a little searching. I don't like to, but luckily I posted in the thread I was trying to find.
JWT turbo'd a SOHC on a stock bottom end. Got it to run 11's.
I don't know what else to say in regards to SC'ing a SOHC aside from the sound the belt and SC make.

Meh...
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=68834&hilit=sohc+tu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=67061&p=479948#p479948rbo+turbo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Turbo better...
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

projectzemx3 wrote:
Savin wrote:You're not going to get any significant gains of HP though. Some people have turbo'd the sohc to impressive numbers, but I've only heard of that through other members on the board.

how do you figure? boost is boost. it doesnt matter if its from a turbo or supercharger. whats the difference between 8 psi from a s/c to 8 psi from a turbo?

ANSWER: a turbocharger has lag. a supercharger is active at lower rpms. you will get same HP numbers with both but the power band will be longer with the supercharger.
Depending on what Turbo and supercharger you are talking about, psi does not equate to power.
The amount of air that the compressor flows does.
A bds 6-71 flows much more air than an eaton m62.
It also depends on which type of supercharger. a vortec style supercharger has a linear power curve, where as a roots style has the much more desirable instant torque..
Even though they are both types of forced induction its comparing apples to oranges.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You guys also forget the paracitic loss from a supercharger. It's like an A/C compressor, your alternator or your power steering pump, it requires power to driver the supercharger, while a turbo is literally free power, just using the energy from the exhaust gases to spin the turbine.

If you make 8psi on a turbo or 8psi on a supercharger, you'll make the same HP at the crank, but from the crank that's where you're whp will be different.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
kast2L

Post by kast2L »

this is some what off topic but much later down the line i plan on doing the supercharger as someone previously said for the sound mostly and the lower end tq because since most of the things im doing to my car is giving me top end power and losing lower end power, but from my understanding you can get much more power from turbo than SC but the SC won't wear on your engine nearly as much and is safer.
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

NOOB QUESTION:

What about a supercharger AND a turbo? Is it doable? I ask cause I'm not entirely sure how superchargers work. And I'm not asking about just for the 1.6 specifically either. Just wondering.
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
nos92mx3
Supporting Member

Post by nos92mx3 »

Thassodar wrote:NOOB QUESTION:

What about a supercharger AND a turbo? Is it doable? I ask cause I'm not entirely sure how superchargers work. And I'm not asking about just for the 1.6 specifically either. Just wondering.
Possible yes, probable not really.

run a properly sized turbo and youll be much happier in the long run.
kast2L wrote:this is some what off topic but much later down the line i plan on doing the supercharger as someone previously said for the sound mostly and the lower end tq because since most of the things im doing to my car is giving me top end power and losing lower end power, but from my understanding you can get much more power from turbo than SC but the SC won't wear on your engine nearly as much and is safer.
horsepower is horsepower, turbos arent safer than superchargers and vice versa.
Nd4SpdSe wrote:You guys also forget the paracitic loss from a supercharger. It's like an A/C compressor, your alternator or your power steering pump, it requires power to driver the supercharger, while a turbo is literally free power, just using the energy from the exhaust gases to spin the turbine.

If you make 8psi on a turbo or 8psi on a supercharger, you'll make the same HP at the crank, but from the crank that's where you're whp will be different.
yes there will be some parasitic loss from driving the supercharger pulley.
But what alot of people also dont understand are compressor maps, and that 8 psi from one turbo to another and from one supercharger to another are not the same.

PSI dosent break parts, Power does.
92' Rs-t b6t/De - RIP

93' Rs-t BPT - Sold

03' WRB wrx Wagon - Current
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

i know the supercharger is a extra load on the engine which reduces its power, but what are we looking at here? maybe 3 horse? you will make that back with the s/c plus more.

turbo's are restrictive to the exhaust (especially the amount of piping needed to run them in our cars :shock: ) that lowers power too....
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

however the post about the engine only having 88 horse stock so if you added low boost for safety, would only bring it up to 130 made me laugh so hard.

the best power mod you can make out of your b6 powered mx3, is to remove the b6.

Return to “Forced Induction”