Knocking into second gear

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
jkbreazeale

Knocking into second gear

Post by jkbreazeale »

My wife owns a 95 MX-3 with what I think is the B6-DE motor mated to an automatic tranny. While driving, the car seems to just stay in first gear unless I let off the gas for it to shift into second or it tachs out and knocks into second. It doesn't matter if the AC is on or off. I have not checked the fluid of filter yet on the tranny. Mazda won't give me a straight answer. I personally think the bands need to be adjusted but I fear that the worst is possibly going to be the torque converter. Any ideas?
1993 MX-3 RS (my project car) http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3815854 <- Check out my Cardomain!
1995 MX-3 RS (wife's project car)
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Knocking into second gear

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Check the fluid, but if it hasn't been changed in the last several years, change it.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Just as a warning, these auto trannies tend to... um... well...

suck.

They break before anything else usually, and they are mucho $$ from mazda. Hard to find used and working.

Best of luck.

Ryan
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
tineke

Post by tineke »

My 96 1.8 v6 k series auto has the EXACT same issue. I let it go on procrastinating about the problem and when to fix it ect. Now the car is in the tranny doctor office getting looked at because for the last week,the car also began to shift slowly like it was thinking about shifting then would shift. Reverse feels in neutral then gives her all by herself. It would sporatically redline to 8 rpm's say if I was turning a corner fast or punched on the gas to merge into traffic,when I let off the gas,problem stopped of course.
The car just had an oil and tranny fluid change on the 6th(I think they put the wrong fluid in my car). Prior to that the fliud was continuously topped up with dextron 3.
There is a tranny fluid leak that is sudden and major.(so it is very possible I was running her dry and not even knowing it)
Today on my way to the tranny doctor,it wouldn't get our of first gear and the rmp's were extremely high and it sounded like the engine was going to blow up , so I eased off the gas and barely applied any pressure to the gas.I couldn't go faster than 10km/h all the way to the shop.
Half way to the shop I turned around to go home and put more tranny fluid in as I thought I would be stuck in an intersection, and headed out to the shop again..the problem didn't go away.

Get er looked at before you run into something like this.
Tineke 96 mx3 v6 black beauty

Return to “Transmissions”