porting out IM any difference?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
trick69

porting out IM any difference?

Post by trick69 »

hey guys I know the VRIS works on resinance and I don't want to hinder with it to much because it's efective. But does any one have any pointers on porting the IM, and is there any gains. Also these thermal spacers from Outlaw racing anyone use them? I'm looking to get some real power out of a de N/A. Say 190hp. I'm a small block chevy guy. Fuel injection isn't new to me though I'm a good mechanic I'll trade information with anyone thanx guys
mazdamx3freak

Re: porting out IM any difference?

Post by mazdamx3freak »

the spacers are only good for keeping your IM temps down and if you port out your IM to square ports like on the millenia the spacers will smooth the tranisition so to say. But from my experiance if you cut out the vris butterflys, hollow out the internal chambers that devide the ports and knife edge/ borded 68mm TB will net you the most gains through out the powerband exspecally topend.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

mazdamx3freak wrote: But from my experiance if you cut out the vris butterflys, .
Blasphemy, sacrilege, heresy, go out and lick your car battery for even thinking such things. What about the 4,000rpm vris kick? It would be gone forever. Crimes against automotive engineering. :lol: I want Outlaw spacers :(
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm a Mouse Motor guy myself..
If you port it the right way, you'll make gains.. If you start with a KLG4 IM, you have more to work with (better flow than DE, and more thickness than the ZE AND it will fit :wink: ), and closer to original VRIS points than the ZE. Everything you do to the intake & exhaust will change the optimum VRIS points, but if you're serious about getting power from a DE, you need an engine management system, which will allow you to change them, anyway.
I'm going for 200WHP with my DE, but it's highly modified, and practically a ZE, anyway. I believe I will have it when I get dyno tuned.
P.S. Check out my worklog, and let me know if you have any questions.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
trick69

Post by trick69 »

whats a klg4 intake and what did it come on?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It came on 1998-2002 626es. Maybe other later 2.5L V6es. Mine came from a 2002 626. They can be ported to flow better than a ZE can be ported (there's more material to remove).
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”