Spyder/ carpart4u write-up NOW with HID!

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Evo_Spec

Re: Spyder/ carpart4u write-up NOW with HID!

Post by Evo_Spec »

do you have HID's in? that might be what the clicking is from
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

No HID's. Just standard projectors. I think the clicking will go away when I get the connectors wired properly. I think it's the intermittent connection of the connector that's causing the relay to spaz out.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I had a similar problem with my pass. side connector being kinda loose, I just rammed it in real hard and that seemed to take care of the problem... until today, I swapped out the H1 Highs for silverstars while the lows were on, the connector wiggled a bit and the lows when on, off, on, off... and stayed off, for good.

My ballats got 13.5 VDC going in, but nadda on the AC side coming out, well... the pass side jumps around a bit, not more than 5 or 6VAC, but the diver side reads 0.

I think the quick on off somehow fried my ballats :(
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

Cut the wires and solder them in directly to the headlight harness wires. Don't fool with the stock harness itself. Cut it all out, solder, tape.

Solder solder solder! MUCH superior connection.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

Well s---, I soldered absolutely everything else. I guess those connectors will be gone when I get some new ballasts.
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

Oh, I forgot to mention. I checked my Mom's Mazda6 on the weekend, it has HID lows and separate halogen highs. The lows stay on when you hit the high beams, so I'd say hooking up our projectors the same way should be all kinds of road-legal.
Shades

Post by Shades »

I haven't kept up with this thread but I noticed the sticker on the side of my headlights that says "Not for HID"... huh?
JoN - Ex-Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Apprentice
1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

you have Ray's or the other style? I didn't notice a sticker on mine.
Shades

Post by Shades »

I have Ray's... I'll get 'em off again cause I have to fix the plugs, but I'll take a picture.

Don't HID's run at a lower wattage than halogens?... therefore, lower wattage-lower temperature?

RACING BP fully built with Twin Scroll GT3071R TURBO @ +30psi - Specs and Pictures

Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

Lower wattage maybe, but lower temp? I doubt that's the case with HIDs. They seem crazy hot to me. I took some pics of the steam comming offa 'em after I wshed the car, never saw that with my halogens :shock:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29622478@N ... 4/sizes/l/
Shades

Post by Shades »

Now I'm a little scared to put mine in if it's gonna be doing that. Cause these headlights are just plastic, and plastic tends to melt under high temperatures.

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Mine didn't have that sticker. I've been running the HIDs in the Option Racing housings for several months now, but not in very hot weather yet.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Bolverk

Post by Bolverk »

Quick question: since you tapped into the turn signals for the halos and LEDs, do they flash when you signal?

I don't mind if the LEDs flash, but I'd prefer it if the halos stayed on with my parking lights. I don't want the halos flashing during the day when I'm signaling.

EDIT* Okay, after lots of searching I may have figured it out. But I'm not real sure as it seems the wire colors are different in different years or regions. There are three wires going into the turn signal: black for ground of course, red with a green stripe and a solid green wire. Now my question is, which wire is for the parking lights and which is for the turn signal?

Also, do you guys think the LEDs look better if left on with the parking lights or used as turn signals?
1992 Mazda MX-3 GS KLZE
xSocialx

Post by xSocialx »

Well I'm pretty sure the red with the green stripe is the parking light because I took my side marker off today and the side marker just had black being ground obvs, and the red and green strip.

I'm having a really hard time wiring up my pair from option racing. Can anyone head over to the topic I created titled sometthing like "AHHH Need help with vertical LED's". Sorry for the thread jack but this lights are ticking me off!
Newfie_dan

Post by Newfie_dan »

My only beef with the writeup is the use of those crap blue scotch locks, they are wire destroyers and probably the most piss poor method of hooking wires together, I really wish more ppl would solder and shrink tube their work those connections make way for corrosion like nobody's business not to mention that they actually cut the wire you are connecting to. So my advice is to do it right and solder them over those cheap crappy connectors.

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”