Possible Fire Hazard Spyder Head Lites

This forum is for discussion of topics relating to MX-3 lighting such as Headlights, Tail lights, Accessory Lights, Interior Lights, Etc. For example, Rear Euro Altezza Style Tail lights, Headlight units, LED's, HID's, Bulbs, Interior lights, Neons, Strobes, Auxillary Lights/Fogs or anything filament and gas discharge related.
Also anything dealing with the elctrical system.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Possible Fire Hazard Spyder Head Lites

Post by Daninski »

I was installing my Spyder projector head lights and the white LED wire fell off. Upon inspection it became appearent that the three white wires going into the black heat shrink with one white wire comming out had not been soldered or twisted or connected in any way. The only thing holding the three white wires to the one white wire was a 3/4 inch piece of heat shrink. Totally unacceptable. The black wire is configured the same way so if the hot (positive) wire 'falls' out of the heat shrink there's definitely a risk of an electrical fire. I suggest everyone check there lights and either solder or use some kind of connector then reseal the connecting. I plan on soldering mine then heat shrinking it.
Stupid thing is why didn't they just leave one wire long and the other two could be connected to it.

One white wire in, three were coming out. blaa

As an after thought; anyone having trouble with their lights flickering simple put a slight twist on the 3 knive edge connections in the blue plug.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Possible Fire Hazard Spyder Head Lites

Post by Daninski »

I really can't believe no responses. There's no one tonite on line who has/bought spyder projector lights?
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I havnt hooked up the LEDs/halos yet. I prob won't ever hook up the LEDs. I'll hafta look into this problem.
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

I've bought them, but I didn't notice. When I do the work on my altezza bulbs later this week I'll look into the situation.
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Bump. I just want anyone who bought them to check there lights out for wire integrity. If they're simply heat shrink wrapped together then you need to fix that.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

thanks for alerting the community... :?
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

Mine seem to be fine, I'll have to check 'em. That's some pretty lax QC.
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

I think everyone is just turning a blind eye to this since they were "SOOOO GREAT and much better then the other ones". I have checked my ebay ones... there all solderd and well placed in.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

colinsmx3 wrote:I think everyone is just turning a blind eye to this since they were "SOOOO GREAT and much better then the other ones". I have checked my ebay ones... there all solderd and well placed in.
Wow colin, way to rub that in everyone's face. :lol: But seriously, I think you should just drop the whole thing, nobody cares which one is "better" anymore.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Colin serves up a fine plate of crow. Cold just the way we like it. Fu*k you colin, but I meant that in a nice way. :D :lol:
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I specifically checked this when I was installing mine as one of the European buyers mentioned that the LED's came out really easily and mine were reasonably well made. Average EBAY quality...not amazing, but not poor either.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I'm very impressed with the lights but who ever wired them is a total nob. You never just shrink wrap any wire.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

ahaha love you all! :love2: This debate will go on forever... well as long as we keep finding flaws of both designs! Then again there aftermarket of course they will cheap out and cut corners to cut costs! :love2:
ImageImageImage
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

Mad Cow wrote:
colinsmx3 wrote:I think everyone is just turning a blind eye to this since they were "SOOOO GREAT and much better then the other ones". I have checked my ebay ones... there all solderd and well placed in.
Wow colin, way to rub that in everyone's face. :lol: But seriously, I think you should just drop the whole thing, nobody cares which one is "better" anymore.
i don't think he understands that when SuperK was saying how 'superior' the spyder lights were, he was just joking around bc he, SuperK, had the spyder ones, and also he was trying to rally ppl for the GB. so colin's kinda playing ping pong without a partner here...
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

No I am not I just stated a fact! :lol:
ImageImageImage

Return to “Electrical & Lighting”