how many of you have a supercharged k series motors in here

A Forum For All Forced Induction Systems Topics Such As Turbos, Superchargers and Nitrous Oxide.
bc93mx3

how many of you have a supercharged k series motors in here

Post by bc93mx3 »

i am looking for ideas on the transfer shaft location for the mx3. i was wondering if any of you have a mx3 that has a shaft driven supercharger. if you have an m62 that would be even better.

please post pics if possible

probe set ups wont work due to our upper radiator inlet

(remember i want mx3 k series set ups only)
onlytrueromeo

Re: how many of you have a supercharged k series motors in here

Post by onlytrueromeo »

SC's don't really work very easily on MX3's. There is not alot of room in the engine bay, and you are better off going w/ a turbo - you will get more HP for the same amount of money!

If you search a little, you will find that this has been discussed many many times! If you are seriously intent on doing it, best of luck.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

There is a video of a guy who has one on youtube. That is about it. Noone else really has done it. I almost did a A/C location SC setup, but I ended up selling the kit. :shrug: That would be the easiest way to setup a SC setup on a mx3.

If you want more power, turbo would be the way to go as there are more parts available, but if your interested in supercharger only then you have some custom fabbing ahead of you.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

if you do it, do the ac mount s/c. so much cleaner, easier to fmicool and its not shaft driven which is just disgusting.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
bc93mx3

Post by bc93mx3 »

a m62 will not fit in ac location without major mods to the frame of the car so thats out. i dont want a turbo because i am building the car for road race and autocross, i dont want the lag. shaft driven m62 is only option.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

bc93mx3 wrote:a m62 will not fit in ac location without major mods to the frame of the car so thats out. i dont want a turbo because i am building the car for road race and autocross, i dont want the lag. shaft driven m62 is only option.
How will it not fit? I have fit one there myself and it fit fine and it was NOT a clutched version with the stubby snout. It was a larger cone shaped pulley and it still fit. The only issue you MAY run into is the rad being in the way, however the MX3 has just as much room against the frame as the probe/mx6 on that side of the car.

If you think it will not fit then get a M45, that will still work on a 2.5L motor efficiently enough up to 7-9 psi range.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Turbo lag is the result of poor turbo selection.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Robx1r

Post by Robx1r »

a small enough tubby would have no lag whatsoever as ya only get really laggy when you go for the big tubbys.
you could compramise get a medium intake side and mate that to a smaller exhaust side therefore more voulme and faster spooling time!!!
bc93mx3

Post by bc93mx3 »

there is 8 inches of clearance between the block and the lower radiator support. the m62 is 5 1/2 to 6 inches wide not counting the plumbing and mounting brackets. if you move it up you are into the radiator and the oil filter relocation kit (the block not the screw on). if you lower it you are dragging it on the ground worse case and best case you can see it hanging out and looking like s**t. not to mention that the front header is directly in front of the intake side of the s/c so sucking all that hot air kills the efficiency. front mount you are thinking. well seeing how the clutched m62 in the ac location produces alittle over 3 lbs of boost (look at sashas posts on probetalk for calculating boost output) a front mount will lower the boost even more.

this is why a transfer shaft is a better way of s/c.

as far as turbos go, i already have the m62 so turbos are out.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

bc93mx3 wrote:there is 8 inches of clearance between the block and the lower radiator support. the m62 is 5 1/2 to 6 inches wide not counting the plumbing and mounting brackets. if you move it up you are into the radiator and the oil filter relocation kit (the block not the screw on). if you lower it you are dragging it on the ground worse case and best case you can see it hanging out and looking like s**t. not to mention that the front header is directly in front of the intake side of the s/c so sucking all that hot air kills the efficiency. front mount you are thinking. well seeing how the clutched m62 in the ac location produces alittle over 3 lbs of boost (look at sashas posts on probetalk for calculating boost output) a front mount will lower the boost even more.

this is why a transfer shaft is a better way of s/c.
I disagree. The shafted versions are not very reliable if you ask me. I have dont hours of research on this before assembling my kit and the shaft idea is not the best idea in the world. Especially when it comes to piping in that cramp area of the engine bay. I think that the probe kit would work, but you also need to look at belts slipping and the overall reliablity of that setup.

When I had my MBX oil relocation kit mounted on my 93 GS, I have a ton of room for the charger when I had it mocked up in there. There are some tight bends for the piping yes, but it can be done.

As for the header heat.. simply mock up a simple sheet steel shield of wrap the charge pipe with header wrap to contain the air charge.

As for the boost pressure, no matter what setup you have there is gonna be low boost just becuase of the stock pulley size on the m62 clutched charger and any loss through the FMIC (1-2psi). I asked Aldorin off PT to see if he can make a OVERDRIVE crank pulley for me as that would bump up the SC's output considerably, he agreed that if money was provided he could probably get machine one up for me. I would look into that route if you are attempting the AC mounted setup which can be done. Don't look at the dimensions of the SC, just take it and mount it in that space, its tight but it can be worked.

As for teh Sc hnaging to low. When I had it mounted in a reasonable position it hangs no lower then the AC compressor or the oil pan on the car normally would. I wouldnt be to worried about bottoming it out on the ground considering there are people running IC pipes UNDER there crossmember for some of the Paxton setups that I have seen.
bc93mx3

Post by bc93mx3 »

i disagree with you. you will never get as much boost out of an over sized pulley on the crank then you will with the shaft. with the shaft you can vary the pulley sizes to get almost any boost level you want within the capability's of the charger.

show me a pic make me a believer that it will fit because i dont think it wil
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Well how much boost do you want? lol, get a custom pulley for the SC then, that will yeild the boost you need.

If I had a pic of my old charger mounted in my car but I do not. But until you try this yourself you cannot say it will not fit. It is possbile with the proper fabrication.
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

There was a guy on this site awhile back that had a S/C KLZE and was running 12.6 or something in the ¼ mile. Try searching for that car, I cant remember the name of the guy though.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

^ mazdamaniac - Jeff abraham's
it was a very nice car with and even better supercharger setup he used to have a website called http://www.mazdamaniac.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; with all the info on the build. I dunno if its still around anymore though.

Return to “Forced Induction”