MX3 Paint Question

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
theproducer

MX3 Paint Question

Post by theproducer »

Hello everyone!

A few months ago I purchased a 1992 Mazda MX3 for about $500 from a neighbor. Best car i've owned so far, great gas mileage, drives and performs well.

However, its got a bit of a bad paint problem.

I'm not looking for any fancy paint job, just something to make it look alot more acceptable than it currently does.
Would a job like that cost alot? Or at 150,000+ miles, should I just leave it be and start looking for another car (I was considering a used Aveo)
colinsmx3

Re: MX3 Paint Question

Post by colinsmx3 »

My opinion is.... I would rather drive that car the way it is then buy an Aveo (GM)

I have never seen this on an MX3 though... seems they had bad primer and the paint just flakes off! (happens alot in mid 90's dodges). But they would have to sand all the paint off to the metal and grind all the surface rust off.... to me it looks like a good $2500 job from what I used to see in the shop I worked at.... all said and done. Hmmm I am wondering where they got those mini fender flares!

But I think you can find a 4cy one in much better condition for about $1000 easy!
Last edited by colinsmx3 on April 4th, 2009, 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

ya holy s--- thats a lot of sanding/ surface rust to get rid of.

on a lighter note, if people can re-store rusted out cars from the 50's then we can restore a rusted out car from the 90's

invest in a good electrical grinder, or one with a good warranty, and get to work in a nice dry and weather free area like a garage. dont let bare metal show for too long tho cause moisture in the air will settle.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

I say sand that s--- down, apply primer, the spray it yourself. Flat colors will give the best results once you wet sand it + buff.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Sandblast the roof after masking off the windows.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

I recently found this post:

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=67670" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And it seems like a pretty viable and do-able paint job solution. Looked pretty good too (make sure you click the link to his actual work).

Or if you're lazy: http://www.rolledon.com/projects-f2/92- ... t-t305.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
theproducer

Post by theproducer »

Hmm, interesting method. It looks doable by me (I have no car painting or modding experience what so ever).

Would I have to sand down my car completely before doing the roll-on paint method? What type of treatment or procedures would I have to do for the rust areas?

And would it all be worth it...seeing as the car has ~151,000 miles on it?
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

Well if you read his post on the Rolled-on forums he goes into detail about what he used and what he did for the rust areas. I think he said he mostly used Rust Converter and Bondo for most of the areas that were rusted through. I'm assuming that he did sand the whole car before starting, but he doesn't go into detail on what kind of primer he used, or even IF he primed the car beforehand.

On the MX-3 topic it seems like he's still pretty active cause he posted a response to that thread recently, so you might want to send him a PM (and send me a copy of it too, heh) with your questions. I'm totally going to do this with the Steel Gray color.

http://www.rolledon.com/supplies-f21/so ... s-t191.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
mx-3_4evr

Post by mx-3_4evr »

lol 151K miles, I'm at 175K miles and she has no rust! (I took my time and fixed it)
mitmaks
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by mitmaks »

Daninski wrote:Sandblast the roof after masking off the windows.
Don't sand blast roof or any panel, you will warp it. Sanding is your best option.
Magnum s/s lines, strut bars, carbon fiber bezel, indiglow gauge, Sony Xplod, inverted c/f hood, SRD lower tie bar '93 GS SE '95 Cobra SVT #2722 '68 Charger R/T 440
http://www.cardomain.com/id/mitmaks

Return to “Appearance”