Mx-3 Rolled-On Paint Job

A forum for Appearance Discussions. (Exterior, Body Kits, & Interior)
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: Mx-3 Rolled-On Paint Job

Post by fowljesse »

Hey, Grimace, did yopu read the *Epic* thread on Moparts that started it all? If so, did you see my 33' Winnebago that I rollered silver? I also did a full sized Chevy van silver about 16 years ago, and the paint held up to Arizona summers, and 5 accidents, including the one that finally ended the van in fire. I painted part of my exhaust, just behind the headers to see what would happen. It shined after 2 years, and I had a hot rodded 350 V8 that I pushed hard. That was Home depot Rustoleum.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Grimace

Post by Grimace »

Yeah, I read every page of that huge thread. :D

So that Winnebago was yours eh? Small world!!
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

How true... when you meet Fowljesse, you realize just how small the world is....

There's a theory that you can link yourself to any person on the planet via only three people. I know Jesse who knows MiniMe who knows Austin Powers. Right? I'm connected to Austin Powers. I'm linked the the Dahli Lama through one of my substitute teachers. its interesting...

Yes, paint....
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

Ryan wrote:How true... when you meet Fowljesse, you realize just how small the world is....

There's a theory that you can link yourself to any person on the planet via only three people. I know Jesse who knows MiniMe who knows Austin Powers. Right? I'm connected to Austin Powers. I'm linked the the Dahli Lama through one of my substitute teachers. its interesting...

Yes, paint....
i thought it was 6 people. everyone is connected to everyone else in the world by at most 6 people.
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

hey fowljesse is that rustoleum paint cheaper? any experience rolling it in cold weather?
94 mx3 rs
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Really? It could be, I truthfully am not sure now that you say that.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It's actually 7 degrees to Kevin Bacon.. I mean 7 degrees of seperation. So, yeah, 5 people between me, and you.
The Rustoleum is cheaper, but the Interlux is a better deal IMO. However, either one will last virtually forever, and if not, you can slap on another coat, and Rustoleum can be exactly matched to any color. I'm thinking about putting a coat of Brightside over a coat of Rusto. I rolled mine onto the van one summer night in Arizona, without thinning it. The RV was done on a summer day in Vancouver, Washington, the same way. I just went back, and buffed out the roughness. I buffed the van so much that it literally hurt my eyes to look at it during the day, and I'm surprised I didn't get in trouble for it!

It's actually a bit easier in the cold (not too cold), because it doesn't evaporate as fast, so you have more time to work out streaks, runs, and bubbles. But be sure it's not humid! If so, block out the weather as much as possible, and put out many bowls of DampRid, all around the car, and paint in the morning, just after the sun comes up.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
cjthor
Forum Moderator

Post by cjthor »

Gotta ask...is that your Cooper S?
Jarid Perry
94 mx3 Turrrbooooo (not even close to stock) 302WHP
71 Chevy C20 (tow rig!!)
77 Jeep CJ5 (no way its stock)
06 MINI Cooper S JCW GP (few goodies) 210WHP
2008 MINI Cooper Clubman S
Grimace

Post by Grimace »

That's my wife's car. But if I'm nice, she lets me drive it. :P
We also have a minty 91 Miata that's sleeping for the winter.
angrygumball316

Post by angrygumball316 »

im def going to do this , mines red now im going to do black i think :)
Thassodar

Post by Thassodar »

You know, this was a really OLD bump, but I'm glad that the guy did bump this thread. I'm definitely going to do this now. I was slowly rationing out my money to paint my car (it's HIDEOUS) but if I can crack this out in a week (night and day) then I'm game. Especially for $400 max.

The only thing I have to do first is get the frame bent back into place from a Jeep Cherokee run-in a few years ago. Let me just say: it looked like the Cherokee was taking a dump on my car (one wheel in the air, the rest on my hood).
Hey-yo chicken on a raft.
Grimace

Post by Grimace »

Hey guys,
Just thought I'd chime back in again. The roller job is holding up great. Since I did it, I've done ~15000 kms back and forth across the 401 between Durham region and Scarborough for my commute. Anyone that knows that area knows the road is in terrible shape, torn up, lots of stones flying through the air, etc.
The paint is holding up like a champ. Sure, there are some stone chips, but that is to be expected. Beauty is they are super easy to touch up with this technique. No noticable change in lustre or anything like that. I'll upload a pic later that I took this spring after washing.
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

even after seeing how awesome that turned out, I'm still scared to attempt a paint job :lol:
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Using paint thinner aka varsol allows the paint to flow out. Usually you'd use a thinner that would "flash over" quickly so you could get to the next coat. I found painting outside in the morning is best as the dampness keeps the dust at bay and the bugs are minimal then as well. Keep the vehicle out of the sun untill it has a chance to dry and one last thing. If the paint products say Isocynate be sure to wear an organic vapour cartridge mask as Isocynates are a strong carcinogen(cancer). Don't get the product on your skin and try to keep the vapours down by ventilating the area. Don't let the vapours get into your house if children are present. end of rant. :lol:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

would i be able to get away with one quart of white blue-glo? parts of my car is red, i'll be spraying white primer on it to even out the color.
94 mx3 rs

Return to “Appearance”