I hate to ask such a dumb question- I did search lol

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
lowflyinmx3

I hate to ask such a dumb question- I did search lol

Post by lowflyinmx3 »

Please don't flame me because I did search but was also having some problems with my internet at the same time. I have a 94 GS and I'm looking at buying a 95 probe gt for a DE swap. My car is OBDII right and the 95 probe is OBDII right? So i should have no problems really swapping them out. I keep reading stuff about the cooling and oxygen sensors, but the years and remarks were all over the place. I have no problem working on my harness but i was just curious if it would be more work with this engine then with another. I searched and yes i went further than the first page but I never seen anyone come out and say if a 95 would work with my 94. Any help would be appreciated. thamks
Mazda.... What happens in the parking lot, stays in the parking lot
nightfire

Re: I hate to ask such a dumb question- I did search lol

Post by nightfire »

If you have a '94 GS then you've got OBD-I. Not to worry though. The engine itself doesn't care about OBD-I/II, so the swap is possible even if the PGT uses OBD-II.

Basically at worst you'll have to buy a new VAF ($50-100) and maybe distributor. O2 sensors aren't part of the engine, so it depends on what parts of the exhaust you swap over. Personally I'd recommend buying a cheap set of ebay headers (~$100 now) since changing out the rear manifold is a serious pain with the engine in the car. Headers come with 2 O2 bungs, which matches the OBD-I ECU requirements, eliminating one more thing to worry about.

Coolant sensors won't be a problem. If anything, you'll have more on the engine than you need.

After the swap you'll have to chip your OBD-I ECU, but that I know little about, since I've got a '96.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: I hate to ask such a dumb question- I did search lol

Post by Daninski »

The 95 Probe is probably OBD1 as well (check to see if the ECU is three plug or four, four being OBD2) so use the Probe disty and ECU with the KLDE as well as the KL02 VAf from the Probe. 94's are a funny animal. PM solorider and ask him what the differences are. I believe the wiring harness may be different.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”