Who knows anything about lung cancer?

Off-Topic Discussions
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Who knows anything about lung cancer?

Post by fowljesse »

Recently, a radiologist found 4 masses in my lung. All they could tell me was that it is either scar tissue from an infection, or tumors, and the tumors could be cancerous.

I had a friend who was 2 years older than I am, in good health, that was sick for about a month. We made him finally go to a doctor, and he died of cancer in about 9 months. About 1 month ago, a good friend who was about 45 wasn't feeling well, as he was getting ready for work, and he laid down, and died of a heart attack, so I'm kind of paranoid.
I have an appointment tomorrow to see what my insurance will cover as far as further diagnosis.
I want to know if anyone here has seen this process of dignosis/ etc... and would have insight into what I can make the doctors do.
I lived with my grandmother, when she was not feeling well, and it was like pulling teeth, forcing the doctors to do their job, and finally find cancer in her, and treat her. They kept blowing her off as a cranky old lady that didn't know what she was talking about. I believe that she would still be alive, if they'd listened to her. I don't care if they think I'm a hypochondriac. I just want to be sure they do everything they can to prove what it is in my lung.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
boosted_bullet

Re: Who knows anything about lung cancer?

Post by boosted_bullet »

:shock: wow man...i hope its not.

but my mom has lung cancer,emphzima (however you spell it)and asma.
i think she was diagnosed 3 years ago. besides a nebulizer i dont think shes
taken any treatment for it. shes smoked for decades (and amazingly still does).
my moms almost 50 and hasnt been defeated by cancer!
hope this story helps in someway...
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

My moms been in medicine for 30 years. I can ask her for some advice if you like. Let me know if you want anything specific, or just what to expect.

1st question: Are you a smoker or very close to people who smoke on a regular basis?
2nd: Have you been exposed to chemicals?
3: Have you ever had a job where you might breath in questionable particles for an extended time?

They could very easly be benign.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Thanks, guys. It is good to know that your Mom is still smokin' (not that I think that's the best idea :wink: ).

I have only smoked socially, meaning I'll have a couple drags a month (Literally) when out with friends. I can only take up to 3 drags. I smoked other things rarely, but even less than cigarettes. I have worked with chemicals once in a while, but carefully. I used to blow glass, including usingmetal smoke to color it, but the place was well ventilated.
I had a job delivering nuclear medicine, and there was a spill in the lab. That day, when I did my scan, my geiger counter clicked alot more around my thyriod. I was fired shortly after, and since then my T1, and T7 (<I think) uptake in my Thyroid is off (high, I think).
Here are the radiologist's findings:
There is a calcified nodular density, left upper lung field, most likely related to old granuloma, or hamartoma. there is borderline hyperinflation of the lungs. cardiac silhouette is normal size. No acute infiltrates are noted.
Impression:
No acute findings identified.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
wagZE

Post by wagZE »

damn man, scary stuff I know I got injured a year or so ago & the x-rays found a lower lung nodule I have been too spooked to get another look. Especially cuz I smoked chron for 10+ years & cigs for 3.. Anyways hope its not nothin serious man. Scary stuff.
1 mx6 88 LX auto 2.2l 4cyl
2 mx6 93 LS saved from junkyard SOLD
3 Mx6 96 M edition blow a ze part it
4 Mx6 96 gold LS paint n lights auto SOLD
5 mx6 red fresh paint clean, sold
1 mx3 92rs sohc auto rota c8s h&r
2 mx3 93 gsze bought w/ mods
3 mx3 93 GSze mtx swp act stg3 str8 nek im eibach kl36
4 mx3 GS SOLD-
6 mx3 white gs jdm swap'd SOLD
*5th mx3 blk GS clean title modded DD*
1 PGT 97 blk, garaged clean sold
2 pgt primered 5 spd KL SOLD
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Well both those conditions I believe are benign, as most lumps are, so that's a good sign! It's always best to get seen ASAP as time is crucial and decisive in these situations. You've had some crazy jobs, any day at work that involved a geiger counter wouldn't be for me! Good health to you sir.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I suggest you check it out, Wag!
I got a primary care doctor, and she's looking into it...
I'm going back in a week.
The Granuloma is benign, but the Hamartoma could be malignant.
Thanks for the good wishes!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Your thyroid absorbs iodine. Radio active iodine is one radioactive material that nuclear power stations can release. Usually the treatment to protect a thyroid from absorbing the radioactive iodine is to take iodine, flood your system so the thyroid is saturated and can't absorb any of the radioactive stuff. Do you know what the stuff was in the lab? Remember, the shiney parts are mine. :D You know I'm with you Bro.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I don't know what exactly was in the lab.. All I know is that I'd pick up level 4 radioactive material at the airport, and they'd mix it with something, and usually put it in syringes, and I'd take them to the Hospitals in lead. Each one was wrapped inabout 1.5" of lead. That was about 19 years ago.
I got my Thyroid checked, and will get the results in a few days.

Return to “Off-Topic”