Engine bucking while accelerating in 1st and 2nd gears

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
onebrickshy

Engine bucking while accelerating in 1st and 2nd gears

Post by onebrickshy »

Hi there.
I just bought a '94 GS 5speed, and it runs well... although the guy said the EGR was clogged and needed to be cleaned... so the idle is turned up higher... I turned the idle down to normal and it would stall every now and then, so I turned it back up... anyway, when I'm pulling away in 1st, it bucks badly, like when someone is first learning to drive standard, and they're not giving it enough gas or whatever when they're trying to pull away... then in second gear it still bucks, but I gotta get it up fast enough to get into third gear, then in third gear it bucks a tiny bit at first, and then smooths right out... on the highway it runs like a champ, it's good on gas, lot's of power all through the revs in the higher gears.... shifting down, in second sometimes it bucks and sometimes not... it seems to not buck when I'm under power going around corners in 2nd, and it's worse when the engine is cold... any ideas anyone?
Tommy

Re: Engine bucking while accelerating in 1st and 2nd gears

Post by Tommy »

Check your Ignition Cap/Rotor
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

I would also bleed your clutch line and check to make sure it has proper pedal engagement.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Mine kinda does that too, is it through the whole RPM range or only lower RPM's?
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Check spark plugs. Also check for air leaks and make sure your idle is correct. Fix the EGR, or remove it! Lots of threads here on how to remove it - just plug the holes basically. To clean it, take it out and use lots of carb cleaner.

Do a general tune up!
andy

Post by andy »

Sounds like the plastic accordian looking part of your intake is cracked. This usually happens in a hard to see place.
As you accelerate the crack opens up and causes the car to buck. most noticeable in first and second but will also
do it in the other gears as well. The open crack is letting in unmetered air.
Could also be a spark issue,plugs,wires,cap,or rotor.
onebrickshy

Post by onebrickshy »

Andy wins!!! It was in fact a majorly cracked air intake accordian thing... letting in unmetered air... some electrical tape got me to pick a part quite nicely! Thanks to everyone who replied, I'm running like a top now!
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Haha I can't believe how common this is! I had the same thing and it was indeed the accordian, I happened to have a spare that I replaced it with and problem solved.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Yeah, those things crack, especially now that our cars are getting old. If it cracked somewhere, it'll probably crack again later. Eventually you might want to just get a CAI and get rid of the stupid rubber altogether.
_-Night-Shade-_

Post by _-Night-Shade-_ »

Whisper wrote:Yeah, those things crack, especially now that our cars are getting old. If it cracked somewhere, it'll probably crack again later. Eventually you might want to just get a CAI and get rid of the stupid rubber altogether.
Plan on doing that soon, just contemplating between two styles.
--------------------------------------------
[WORKLOG] [FOR SALE] [Wishlist] [Feedback]

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”