1992 Mx-3 wont start.

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
ninnemann

1992 Mx-3 wont start.

Post by ninnemann »

I just bought this mazda from a kid. He did a recent engine swap and the distributor seems to be from a mitsubishi something. The distributor is the exact same as the mazda but im confused as to whether the ignition module is built into the distributor or not. The car turns over im just not getting any spark. Everyone that I talk to seems to think that it is the ignition module. Any suggestions?

-Kevin
- Kevin
92EmeraldDream

Re: 1992 Mx-3 wont start.

Post by 92EmeraldDream »

It is the ECU, if I were to try to get it to start find the fuse box and adjust the timing.
92' Mazda Mx31.6L Rs with catback exhaust,struttower brace currently disabled with some frnt end Damagehttp://element.searchpluswin.com/?cmd=s ... &rb=930734[URL=http://element.searchpluswin.com/? ... .jpg[/img]
[/url]
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

92EmeraldDream wrote:It is the ECU, if I were to try to get it to start find the fuse box and adjust the timing.

lol what? why would he adust the timing? its not getting a spark what does that have to do with timing? for all he knows the disty is timed perfectly, that doesnt answer why it doesnt spark.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Dude replace your distributor or just swap out the coil located inside of the distributor disregard ^^^^ Also make sure you dont need a disty rotor it could be as simple as that, and she should start or at least you will have spark.. maybe you should check into a HEI mod... Good luck
ninnemann

Post by ninnemann »

thanks for all of the advice. I am trying to avoid replacing the disty if I don't need to. I am going to replace the ignition coil tomorrow hopeing that's the problem. I replaced the rotor but I'm not 100 percent sure that its on correctly. I will turn it and try that, the old rotor seemed pretty beat. I think it was done. now if the problem was the ecu wouldn't the rest of the car be malfunctioning?
- Kevin
ninnemann

Post by ninnemann »

my coil isn't inside of the disty, its bolted to the side of my fender. now if there is another coil besides that one then its different story?
- Kevin
ninnemann

Post by ninnemann »

I've been planning on the Hei mod but that won't fix my problem will it? it would just ensure that it doesn't happen again?
- Kevin
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Is it a 4 cylinder or V6? If it's a V6 and you have an external coil then either someone already did the HEI mod, you could also have a KLZE distributor. Does your distributor cap have 7 or 6 plug locations? And do you have a 6-pin and a 3-pin connector or just a 4-pin?
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
ninnemann

Post by ninnemann »

It's a four cylinder. There is no external coil. nor is there an external module. So therefor there is no HEI mod currently. I have heard from alot of different people that an HEI mod is the only way to prevent the problem from happening again. It's not a KELZE, it clearly has mistsubishi symbols on it. Im pretty sure that it is the 6 and 3 but not posotive. I am replacing the coil tomorrow hopefully that will fix the problem. Other wise I am going to start looking for a new disty (if anybody has any idea of a good seller; new or used; please let me know).
- Kevin
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

What do you mean by Mits symbols? Nippon denso is on a lot of parts. Tell us the model number of your disty. Should be something like TOT57271.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ninnemann

Post by ninnemann »

i dont have the disty on hand. but the number is like GE-------- something.
- Kevin
Andy2486

Post by Andy2486 »

is it even trying to turn over. cause i had a similar prob were it would try to turn over but would not bought a brand new dist for 165 new plugs and wires timed it and it started right up...... and is it getting fuel also faulty fuel pump could be the case just a suggestion
ninnemann

Post by ninnemann »

It's trying to turn over. I ordered a new disty. And i will try that. Do you have to re-time it after replacement? Im not getting any spark, so I'm dealing with that problem before I check to see if im getting fuel.
- Kevin
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Jump TEN and Grd and check the timing. Most Disties are in the middle of the slot just for a starting point. Your RPM should be at 650 with TEN and grd jumped. If it isn't adjust the screw on the top of the TB untill it is. Once you take it out of Diag mode it'll return to around 700rpm.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Your Disty must start with TOT
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”