Exhaust

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
wytbishop

Re: Exhaust

Post by wytbishop »

That exhaust manifold has a additional piping to install a Turbocharger. Unless you have a turbocharger to bolt to it, it will have a great big hole in it...where the turbo goes.

Dig?
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
neli_nael

Post by neli_nael »

yes but turbo manifold is not the same as exhaust manifold.
94 mx3 rs
92 mx3 gs curved neck klze SOLD
93vtecklr

Post by 93vtecklr »

I have to say i disagree about the benefits of headers on K8's. I'm running a set of aftermarket probe headers on my K8, were on my ZE (RIP, long harrowing story), and even with the pennance of HP added I still pass stock K8's with ease. Mind you, in my neck of the woods, there's not a lot of mx3 fans unfortunately. In line with better intake, I run the headers, 2.5" magnaflow hi-flo cat, 2.5" piping to 8" resonator, to a magnaflow dual tipped muffler. The headers in my opinion have definately made a (small, yet noticable) difference.
1993 Blaze Red SE, 17" blackie's, b+m sts, 45 deg 3" exh pipe/intake tube, K8ZE, aftmkt probe headers, magnaflow hi-cat, all 2.5" piping, magnaflow muffler.
1976 Datsun 620 p/u, full airride, Firestone 2600`s, 16ga fuel cell, Optima yellow top, AZ compressor, custom tubular frame with 9in step notch, 18" 100 spokes
1955 Willys Overland 4x4 P/U, '78 LT1 350 cu.in, fully restored.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

projectzemx3 wrote:
Slammed6 wrote:
As far as exhaust, if you have a KLDE or KLZE you are going to want to run a 2.5" exhaust setup, if your sticking with the K8 then 2.25" is sufficient.
really? cause the dyno database on probetalk basically says that 2.25" exhaust on a NA KL has greater torque readings then the 2.5".
You are gonna want to go for peak HP readings and you might loose a lil TRQ in the lower RPM's but you will more than make up for it in the higher RPM's with the HP gained.

I remember reading an article in sport compact or some magazine back in the day where it broke the your exhaust piping is based off the size of your motor. They dyno'd a 2.4 liter 4-cylinder with 2" catback, 2.25", and 2.5". Made the most HP and TRQ with the 2.5". Then they grabbed a 1.6 liter 4-cylinder and did the same dyno runs with it made the most HP and TRQ with the 2.5" as well.

And i actually did 2.25" on my MX-6 when i first got it, it was OK, but a definate power difference with the 2.5" catback. I also had me and my friend race before and after and it made up a noticeable difference. Both of us had Auto, it was pretty much the same til we got up mid-top 2nd gear where i had a noticeable power advantage. Before we were dead even all the way down.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

2.5" mendrel bent was the hightly recommended norm for KL's back a few years ago. I don't know why, but everyone seems to be recommending only 2.25". I went with 2.5" crushed bent since I couldn't find any mendrel benders in the area.

I do think headers and exhaust on a K8 would hinder performance rather than gain any.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

projectzemx3 wrote:
Slammed6 wrote: and sure if your not interested in swapping a motor, then buying ebay headers for your 1.8 is worth it, they are cheap plus that look really good when you pop your hood, if you take away that useless plastic piece that runs across the rad support for stock intakes.
I don't know about the quality of cheap $70 eBay headers, but I figure you get what you pay for. Personally I wouldn't buy these. Decent ones, like OBX, would run him well over $200. And to get anything out of them he'd need a full 2.5" exhaust (cat, pipes, muffler) - so the cost would quickly bloat, and he would end up with horrible horsepower-per-dollar value. I don't know, maybe you've put $70 headers on your K8 and magically gained 50 hp, but I doubt it. I imagine maybe a 10 hp gain for K8. I could be wrong, though. If someone has K8 numbers, would be good to see.

Now, when you have a 2.5L, that's a huge difference in breathing volume, and it really benefits from having headers. This is mainly the reason most people swap in a ZE/DE before they do the headers.

I guess if at some point he's gonna get a ZE, then it would make sense to have the headers... Although he might as well just save that header money and put it towards getting the 2.5L motor first. It's just a matter of priorities.
boosted_bullet

Post by boosted_bullet »

if u have ebay headers on your k8 and your planing on swapping cant you just use them on your kl when you swap?
chicks dig the rice!

-bullet
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Yeah. That's what I said. If he's planning to do a swap, headers would make sense.

Who makes those cheap "eBay" headers, anyway?
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

ss autochrome, lol they are probably made in bulk by chinese people.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

lol i cant even pay for $70 headers....i need another job lol
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

projectzemx3 wrote:ss autochrome, lol they are probably made in bulk by chinese people.
Really? SSA headers are around $250.
Slammed6

Post by Slammed6 »

The SS Autochrome headers are quality. I've used them, as well as installed many on swaps for customers. They line up very well and look excellent. Never had a weld crack or anything.
***D-Tuned Custom KL MX-3 on Nitrous***
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Yeah, they're decent. Probably the better of the bunch.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”