KLG4 IM Clears the MX3

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hppwdn

KLG4 IM Clears the MX3

Post by hppwdn »

I had a spare KLG4 IM at the house so I decided to test fit it on the mx3 last night to see if it clears the brake fluid reservoir. For those that aren't familiar with the KLG4, it's the solid lifter 626 motor from around 1998+. It has a straight neck IM that's similar to a ZE IM, but it has round runners to match DE heads. A couple probetalk guys did some research and determined that if you port match the G4 IM to your ZE heads it will get comparable performance to a ZE IM.

Well, I put it on last night just to see, and the KL TB throttle linkage clears the brake fluid reservoir by a microscopic amount, but it does clear, and works. For your intake piping you'd either need a tight 90 degree elbow, or relocate the battery. This looks like a great option for those that wanting to use a straight neck IM.

I took some pics, and a video of the linkage going up and down. I'll post those when I get home tonight and upload them.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: KLG4 IM Clears the MX3

Post by Custommx3 »

Ya, but what about engine shifting? It will probably hit it then :(.
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

You'll see in the pics. The linkage falls in the the little indentation under the ridge if the reservoir. Kinda hard to describe until I get the pics up later, but it has some wiggle room front to back.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Fowljesse has a G4 IM on his car, he will post up some pics when he sees this. I was considering running a G4 mani some time ago when I first got my curent KLZE... But never ended up getting it.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

solo_ryder wrote:Fowljesse has a G4 IM on his car, he will post up some pics when he sees this. I was considering running a G4 mani some time ago when I first got my curent KLZE... But never ended up getting it.
yeah I was just about to mention fowljesse's... I don't believe he has had any problems with it...
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yeah!
It's been on for about 4 years, with Phenolic spacers, and a strut brace. If you use a DE TB, you turn the linkage upside down, and it clears easily. Also, the VRIS points are closer to the DE ECU points, so if you don't get it chipped, it's not as big of a deal.

Here it is with the battery in there:

Here's one I took when bypassing the IAC. You can see how much clearance there is, and imagine the TB there.

Here it is with a 45° bend instead of the 90°, since the battery is in the back.

In case you're wondering, it has megaSquirt, so I took out the MAF, and IAC, and that's the MAP sensor in the elbow.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Here's the pics and video I got yesterday. I didn't do anything with the DE linkage, I left it exactly as it comes on the tb.

In this one you can see there is a decent amount of space between the linkage and the reservoir.

And here's a link to the video of the moving back and forth to open the tb.
http://www.iceyrecords.com/drew/mx3/200 ... C10371.AVI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jesse,
Have you driven any cars with a straight neck and compared the powerbands to the G4. I've done a lot of testing at the dyno back and forth between the curve neck and the straight but never had a G4 IM to test with. I personally like the curve neck vs the ZE because the powerband is shifted a little to the left. I wonder if the G4 is a little better compromise.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

I have a DE in my car so Im gonna pick one of these up now that I know they have the oval ports ! :love:
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

hppwdn wrote: Jesse,
Have you driven any cars with a straight neck and compared the powerbands to the G4. I've done a lot of testing at the dyno back and forth between the curve neck and the straight but never had a G4 IM to test with. I personally like the curve neck vs the ZE because the powerband is shifted a little to the left. I wonder if the G4 is a little better compromise.
It's funny; I've only driven my 2 GS's.
Here's a link to a dyno sheet of my car with the KLG4 IM. It has good low end.
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.ph ... ilit=+Dyno" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I hope your engine mounts are solid. Mount flex could drive that linkage into your reservoir. thanks for the pics. :D
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

JWMX3 wrote:I have a DE in my car so Im gonna pick one of these up now that I know they have the oval ports ! :love:
klg4 mani is square port..
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

hppwdn wrote:It has a straight neck IM that's similar to a ZE IM, but it has round runners to match DE heads. A couple probetalk guys did some research and determined that if you port match the G4 IM to your ZE heads it will get comparable performance to a ZE IM.

i think they are round ports. and that is severely close to that master. i know a way to get rid of all that stupid linkeage.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

projectzemx3 wrote: i think they are round ports. and that is severely close to that master. i know a way to get rid of all that stupid linkeage.
Sounds like 'Red Neck' time. :welder:
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I modified the K8 linkage and put it on the ZE TB. The same thing would help with this I think. I honestly wouldn't like to have the linkage that close to the TB.

Jesse what TB and what linkage are you using with that IM?
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I'm interested in the linkage solution, although mine works great. I'm just curious.
The G4 ports are oval, but there's plenty of thickness to port them out to match ZE heads, and bigger..
It's your average DE TB and linkage, I think it came from a '93 626.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”