Disty replaced, HEI with coil mod done, still stalling?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
JNeil

Disty replaced, HEI with coil mod done, still stalling?

Post by JNeil »

Ok guys, I'm getting really frustrated..

My car started stalling, highway driving, city driving, idle, whenever, sometimes it just wont start.. So I came on here and found the HEI mod, did that but it didnt help, so I did the coil mod as well, still didnt help.. It stalls and after 5 minutes or so it will start up fine and continue running for 5 minutes or an hour its totally random. The only other thing that is weird about the car is when it is cold when the VRIS activates the car loses a bunch of power for about a second before it starts to pull.

I then got the distributor replaced, total money spent trying to get problem solved = $2000... Now it has not started twice, same problem.. Hasn't stalled while driving yet but I need to get this crap fixed, does anyone have any suggestions for what to check to find out what's wrong with this thing?

P.S. It's a 1993 precidia 5spd, any other information that could help I can provide upon request.

Please if anyone can give me some tips to figure this out it would be a huge help, thanks in advance!
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Disty replaced, HEI with coil mod done, still stalling?

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Have you disabled the stock ignitor and remove the coil inside the distributor? Could be fuel related, maybe the filter, fuel pump, or most common would be the fuel pump relay.

Our old '90 626 had an issue with a bad ground in the engine bay for the ECU. We had an issue with our '99 TL where it's a poor contact in the tumbler for the key. My buddy's '98 GS400 is now doing that same thing, but I haven't heard that happen on an Mx-3 yet.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
JNeil

Re: Disty replaced, HEI with coil mod done, still stalling?

Post by JNeil »

I never removed the coil from inside the distributor I just deactivated it by cutting that metal thing inside the disty, I just replaced the whole thing though less than 2 months ago I figured that it should be a good distributor as it's either new or rebuilt (not sure which, I didnt do it myself).

I'll do some research on the fuel system stuff maybe that it what it is, would it not stay stalled for longer though if the fuel wasn't making it to the engine, also I thought fuel problems would make it run like crap after it started again?

Oh and maybe this is important, the car when warm idles at about 300 rpm and quite often bogs very lightly, but lightly at 300 rpm is nerve racking I always think it's going to stall and then sometimes it does.. Any other suggestions?

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”