v6 cylinder NIGHTMARE

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
mx3_aruba

v6 cylinder NIGHTMARE

Post by mx3_aruba »

hi all.....
i got a '92 GS with the K8-01...
i recently did a complete overhaul of it, changed piston rings, main & rod bearings all gaskets.
had the heads done, valve stem seal replaced.
recently i dropped the engine back in the car, had the timing a bit off did not start. pulled engine back out, changed timing, dropped back in started right away. but a noticed that is was not sounding smooth, thought it was timing. later i found out it was the #6 cylinder not working. pulled the plug wire out did not notice any change in the sound, pulled out plug wire #4 notice a big diff. in the sound. so my conclusion is cyl #6 is NOT firing. pulled out the plug, completely charred. when cranking the engine without plug wire on #6, than took out the plug and it wasn't wet from gas. but it doeas have a spark.

i tried taking off the fuel-rail cleaning it completely inside (since i painted it). put the rail back on the engine, started it, what do you know, all 6 cylinder where working OK. pulled off #6 spark plug wire, engine died a little. (so it was working). but after like less than a minute, it started idling a bit rough again. pulled out #6 plug wire, no diff.

so now i have this problem with my engine and i am LOST in all of this. i cannot think of any other cause to this NIGHTMARE.....

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEEEAAASSSEEEE ???
projectzemx3

Re: v6 cylinder NIGHTMARE

Post by projectzemx3 »

have you compression tested it yet? lol i cant believe you pulled the motor just to re-time it :shock:

maybe cyl 6 needs a new injector.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
kiwimx3

Post by kiwimx3 »

Sometimes its process of elimination with problems like this.

before rushing out and buying new parts Id swap a injector
from another cylinder to see if the problem moves
And also do the same with a spark plug lead.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

yeah and maybe the sparkplug itself.

also double check you connections on the disty cap.
mx3_aruba

Post by mx3_aruba »

i swapped spark plugs and swapped wires with another cylinder. i tried to change injectors but don't know how its done. and i don't wanna break anything.

yeah had to pull motor out to change timing. the cam gear markings where off..... sooo.... only thing to do is pull out motor to take off timing belt put cam gears on marks and put back timing belt.....

so can anyone help me with instructions for taking out an injector ?
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

you have to pull the fuel rail out to get at them. the fuel rail is bolted to the intake.

alot of us have re-timed our engines while they were in the car. i did it twice!
mx3_aruba

Post by mx3_aruba »

projectzemx3 wrote:you have to pull the fuel rail out to get at them. the fuel rail is bolted to the intake.

i know that part 'cause a pulled out the fuel rail several times. but i just don't know how to get the injector out. how to take it off the rail.
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

My question is why not just drop the ZE in there when you pulled it out! I mean to rebuild a K8... I have never heard of anyone doing that!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
mx3_aruba

Post by mx3_aruba »

colinsmx3 wrote:My question is why not just drop the ZE in there when you pulled it out! I mean to rebuild a K8... I have never heard of anyone doing that!
where i live (Aruba, Caribbean) there isn't any of thos engines, or any i can buy. if i get one from the US or Canada or JAP it will cost me more that 4x the price they originally sold it (S&H, import taxes 22% and all kinds of fees). so that's my reason why i decided to rebuild my engine.
klmx08

Post by klmx08 »

or atrleast a de!
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

I have the same problem , Portugal prices for a KLZE are not for poor people.
When my K8 get's his boost, i will rebuild it too 8)
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
klmx08

Post by klmx08 »

can u get a klde there if so it will be cheaper than a k8 due to availabilty , and if you are going boost it has a lower compression ratio than a ze
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I've never removed the injectos, but maybe FSM can help.

http://www.mx-3.com/manuals/showimg.php ... F2-118.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seems pretty straight forward. Just be sure to look over the manual for proper installation.

And yeah, you can do all the timing belt stuff with the motor in the car. There's sufficient room.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

klmx08 wrote:can u get a klde there if so it will be cheaper than a k8 due to availabilty , and if you are going boost it has a lower compression ratio than a ze

its ok to boost the 1.8 as well.
mazdags94

Post by mazdags94 »

I rebuilt my K8 just to learn so that when I tore apart a DE or ZE, I would have some knowldege on the internals. I didn't spend a huge amount of money. More time invested than cash. I'm glad I did though.

I have some jectors too if you need them. They're all 6 in the rails as well. Timing is somewhat of a bear but I also timed mine inside the engine bay. doing that job caused several bloody knuckles :)
'94 MX3 GS (black)-- 2.5L DE w/ straight neck IM, SSAC Headers, KYB-GR2's, Intrax Springs, CM Stage I clutch, OBX STS, filled front & rear mounts, CAI- SOLD :(
Buyer Feedback: viewtopic.php?f=37&t=62426" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=69003" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Amatuers practice until they can get it right; professionals practice until they can't get it wrong"

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”