94 4cyl replacing a 93 4cyl

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
koppit

94 4cyl replacing a 93 4cyl

Post by koppit »

Hey guys,

Just a few questions, I'm buying a motor from someone out here, with a blown head gasket, in the hopes of fixing it and droppig it into my car (110k less, hells yes). I have a 93 sohc right now, and his engine is a 94, which I haven't actually seen yet. What do I need to worry about?

The things I'm thinking about are engine mounts, transmission mounting bolts lining up, sensors, electrical, belts, etc.
Does anyone know if this going to be a difficult swap?

Thanks in advance!
Silver 1994 GS
Black 1993 RS

projectzemx3

Re: 94 4cyl replacing a 93 4cyl

Post by projectzemx3 »

93 speedo is cable driven and the 94 are electric. might need the 94 gauge cluster.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
koppit

Post by koppit »

Is the sensor for the speedo mounted on the transmission? If so, since I'm not replacing the tranny, would I be ok?
Silver 1994 GS
Black 1993 RS

Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Yes it is and your ok for the speedo sensor then.
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Don't buy it. Buy a BP :) I made the mistake of replacing the motor with another stock motor. Biggest waste of $500 ever.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
koppit

Post by koppit »

$100 is my damage :twisted:
Silver 1994 GS
Black 1993 RS

Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

u can place a b6de in place of a b6me..

u don't have to worry about the mech, speedo cable idk y they brought that up.. nubs

the ? is the wiring part ur current wiring harness and ecu will not run the B6de 1.6 dohc correctly

u'll need to the ecu and wirring harness, maf and other oem BS.

given that u do that there still a chance that it my not even turn on or run right since a u maybe not know what the hell ur doing no offense... and not to many or maybe even a hand full even tried to attempt what u want to do..

if ur insistent in being different go ahead but the cost factor will hurt ur pocket..

so with that said unless u have the time, knowledge, MONEY nothing cheap about a mazda.. as some people might know that..

ur best swap to a dohc is the 1.8 dohc BP and the ecu and wiring harness easy as plug and play.. cost me 700 back in O5.
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
koppit

Post by koppit »

Now that's an answer I was looking for.

I'll check with the guy to see if he still has the ECU, as well as any sensors, etc. Maybe I can pick up some parts here. The engine has 170k on it, so for $100 imho it's a pretty good deal. The cost of a head gasket & maybe some rings, a water pump, and a wiring harness/ecu might work out to be pretty good. I've done two engine swaps before, both on dumb-estics, it's just different every time, you know what I mean?
Silver 1994 GS
Black 1993 RS

Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

replacing the rings is tearing into the motor itself if ur going to that u minus will rebuild the whole bottom end given that ur going to need to take it apart,,

im telling ur go with a BP swap get more power be faster than just doing a dohc 1.6 swap..

the bp is obd 1 compatible with ur sohc than the dohc the dohc mx-3 are i think a hybrid obd1-obd2 mix up if u ask me.. thats y the bp swap isn't plug and play in the 94+ model mx-3

thanks for the comment
(12.4@118@18psi) 92 MX-3, KIA (BP-DE)Swap, Electromotive TEC II Standalone, 8,200 Rev Limit, Custom Intake/Exhaust Manifold, 1,000cc PTE Injectors, Custom Fuel Rail, Aeromotive FPR, 80MM Holley TB, MSD 8.5MM Wires, NGK V-Power #8, SC6262 Turbo, 3 in. DownPipe, Tial WG/BOV, 600HP PTE FMIC, 2.5IN Intercooler Piping, EQUUS/Autometer KIA G-Series Tran, Extreme ACT Clutch, Built BP in starting process.
koppit

Post by koppit »

The head itself is currently apart from the block, so I don't think it'll be too hard to take off the oil pan and unscrew some pistons, but like I said before, every engine is different, and obviously you know these better than me.

Two last questions then, how easily accessible is the ECU, and would I have to swap out any wiring going into the interior?

If you think it's too much work, I'll look for a BP to rebuild, or a 92-93 sohc.

Thanks for all the info.
Silver 1994 GS
Black 1993 RS

Limegreen mx-3

Post by Limegreen mx-3 »

easier said than done check this out a lil insight on what u want to do http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=57778" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

its not to much work the problem is getting it to run properly and u might get urself into something u wish u didn't get into kicking urself in the butt i should have went BP..

ur the owner u know what u want and ur going to do what u want to do regardless what people tell you.

coming from a from a sohc owner, i sure am glad that i went to the bp swap i have never look back..

yeah the dohc might seem like a steal but when it comes with the extra oem BS that the sohc and bp don't need to run with u'll see what i mean..

the choice is urs ur the boss..

by the way r u auto or standard
koppit

Post by koppit »

It's a standard.

I scrapped the idea, I'll look for another engine to rebuild, thanks for the advice!
Silver 1994 GS
Black 1993 RS

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”