Shifting is sticky?

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
cthb533

Shifting is sticky?

Post by cthb533 »

I just put a new transmission in last week because the syncro's were going bad and two of the forks were worn out. Now it's hard to shift. It goes into gear smoothly without any grinding, the shifter just feels like there is a lot of friction. Side to side movement is sticky. If I move it left or right and don't engage any of the gears, when I take my hand off the shifter it's slow coming back to center.

I put in new bushings
B&M Short Shifter
New Clutch
New throwout bearing

I had the problem with the shifter falling through the floor, but I made something to hold it in place. I just checked the bolts to make sure they weren't to tight, and even with them super loose it still had the same problem.

Any Idea's? Bent shift linkage? I put two quarts of tranny oil in, is that enough?
projectzemx3

Re: Shifting is sticky?

Post by projectzemx3 »

where the short shifter bolts to the linkeage, if that bolt is too tight you will get these symptons.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
cthb533

Re: Shifting is sticky?

Post by cthb533 »

It seams to have cleared up. It's been doing this all week. I loosened that bolt today, without moving the car the symptoms still remained, but once I got out and drove it a bit (With the now looser bolt), the shifting became smooth as silk.

Thanks!

Return to “Transmissions”