Trend Micro PC-Cillin AV Network Probs??

Please post here any content related to fighting viruses on the internet. (ie. Internet e-mail headers to help track down virus infected computers in the MX-3 community.)
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Trend Micro PC-Cillin AV Network Probs??

Post by perhapsadingo8yerbaby »

My Home Network setup consists of 5 puters running behind a Lynksys 8 port router (with their standard firewall) that's connected to a highspeed broadband cable-Internet connection. No wireless, it's all hardwired on CAT5E cabling. All 5 puters are configured into a common MS workgroup to allow file sharing between PC's. All are currently running Norton AntiVirus and for 2 months I've been running the eval version of PC-Cillin AntiVirus on just one PC for test purposes.

Problems: Until I uninstalled my eval copy of PC-Cillin, I could not access shared folders residing on the Cillin PC from other PC's on my home network. I couldn't even SEE the other puters in my MS workgroup when trying to look from the PC that was running Cillin. Before un-installation, I was getting a "network path not found" whenever clicking a shared folder if that folder resided on the Cillin PC, even though I could see that shared folder from another PC. Hope I described that enough to make sense here.

All probs cleared up once Cillin was uninstalled. All networked PC's could then be seen from every other PC and all shared folders between networked PC's could be reached. Is this problem possibly because of a PC-Cillin default firewall config and is the firewall configurable to allow shared file access between networked PC's running PC-Cillin? I'm considering replacing Norton AV on all my PC's when my Norton License expires next month but not if this issue can't be resolved.

Appreciate any help available from y'all with TrendMicro knowledge. I really liked the program in all other respects and it blew Norton away.
Nd4SpdSe

Re: Trend Micro PC-Cillin AV Network Probs??

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

That is a Pc-Cillin issue with the firewall, but there is a way around it, my boss had that problem but I didn't encounter it, but i may have had my firewall disabled since i'm beind a router anyway...i'll ask the guys at work

[Edit]Dude! I didn't know where was an Anti-Virus Forum, i though this was in off-topic[/Edit]

<small>[ July 09, 2004, 08:58 PM: Message edited by: Nd4SpdSe ]</small>
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Hey thx for checking. Worst case, I can always google around for an answer or even download a fresh eval copy, replicate the prob and troubleshoot the firewall issue with a bit more patience. Last time around I was gettin so PO'd at being blocked from my shared files I just blew PC-Cillin away before thinking doh! bet it was a firewall related prob w/Cillin. The probs I had were occuring even when Cillin AV was disabled but not yet uninstalled. Good firewall if I can just get it to let ME thru... :cool:
MX3-Freak

Post by MX3-Freak »

Well, I had the same problem. So on mine I told it to always trust the i.p of every computer on the network. Works fine for me now. :shrug:
Stock 1995 RS - Creek Blue
Car Meanins:
Honda: Hang On, Not Done Accelerating
FORD: Frequently Overhauled, Rarely Driven
Mazda: Must Always Zoom Down Asphalt
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I talked to the guys and they don't havea definite answer, but its some sort of settings in Pc-Cillin
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
perhapsadingo8yerbaby

Sounds like it's worth it to download another PC-Cillin eval copy and take the time to do what I shoulda been patient and tried in the first place... change/verify that the trusted IP settings gives shared file access strictly between PC's on my LAN. That would def solve the prob I was having. Thanks!
jeomancer20

Post by jeomancer20 »

Never heard anything a problem like this before. This was very bad because there are many files that are affected.

Post by cthb533 »

This might be kinda late, but just for future reference, if you can't see some of the locally networked Windows PC's then Try this:
(XP Instructions, but should be similar for other versions of windows.)

Go to start and open up Control Panel
Switch the control panel into Classic View, if it's not already there(Should be an option in the panel on the left side of the Window)
Open up network Connections
Right click on the connection you are using to get out to the network (Local Area Connection # or Wireless Connection. the one you are using will generally have the status set to Connected.) and go to Properties.
Under the General Tab, Click on the Install Button, about halfway down the page on the left.
Select Protocol and click Add
Select Microsoft TCP/IP Version 6 and click OK

Worked on our Network. Wont hurt anything on your's. GL
-Cody
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Actually, there's a few steps that I've had to use many times with XP to get them to recognise each other:

- Enable the guest account
- Share at least 1 folder on the computer, and/or enable sharring
- Make sure the computer's are setup under the exact same workgroup name

Return to “Anti-Virus Forum”