Change your wheel bearings!

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
nightfire

Change your wheel bearings!

Post by nightfire »

My rear wheel bearings had been thrumming for the last 6 months or so, getting progressively worse. Finally I broke down and ordered a set, and installed them last night. It was about a 3 hour job because I had to transfer the ABS gears to the new hubs (since non-abs hubs are much cheaper).

What a difference.

The car feels like it's floating, now. Everything seems effortless. And it's so quiet it's eerie. Between that and my new shift linkage, it feels like a brand new car!

In fact I can hear a couple new creaks that I hadn't noticed before because the wheel bearings were making so much noise.

If yours are original, I highly recommend changing them. In all it was about $100 shipped, plus 3 hours of time. If you're transferring the ABS gear you'll need a gear puller, and a press will definitely make things simpler. I used 2 strut spring compressors (one on each side) and it took about 15-20 minutes per hub.

One of the most cost effective upgrades/repairs I've ever done.
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
SuperK
Supporting Member

Re: Change your wheel bearings!

Post by SuperK »

Amen, Amen!

It's like putting butter on your crot.... You know what, it's just quiet. Let's leave it like that.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

You spelled "Kraut" wrong.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
nolig2278

Post by nolig2278 »

what kind of noise was it
94 RS to BPT
2.5 FMIC
MicroSquirt
2.5 Exhaust
[url=https://gilon.levinsonltd.com/mx-3.html[/url]
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Its like a brake squeel almost.

To check your bearings..

Jack up the car..

Check for vertical play in your wheel, turn it, check again, turn it.. check again, until the wheel is check 360 degrees.

If you have play, change the bearing.

They have to be machine pressed in and out.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

I didnt machine press mine, a shop hammered them in with ome sort of weird contraption they had... kinda like a tube on top of the bearing.

Do you need to press the rear ones too I assume?
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

Lets say this.. they SHOULD be pressed in ;)

Sorry Hector, I've never taken the rears apart or had to replace them.
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

You only need to press the front ones in. The rears come as a complete unit you bolt on; just need to pull the caliper and remove the 32mm nut.

However, if you choose to go with non-abs hubs and you want ABS, you'll need to transfer the ABS gear. You can do it with a simple gear puller (no press) but it is a pain.

Also the shound isn't really like a brake squeal (at least for me) but more like a rumble or thrumming. It almost sounds kinda like using studded tires on pavement.
- Gord
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
Volones

Post by Volones »

I'm getting a sound like you describe, but it increases when I turn (either direction). Do you think it's the same thing? I'll check for bearing play this weekend either way.
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Volones, if the sound is only when you turn, it's prob. your axle CV Joints! I'd look into fixing this ASAP, otherwise you could sieze one and itl make it harder to get out, mmore expensive to repair, and could leave you stranded!
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

The sound is a constant, not a repetitious click or stutter. It's a "wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo" that changes in pitch as you put weight on one side or the either (which changes from woooooo, to Mrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr or something similar during heavy cornering on the bad bearing. Yay for SuperK sound effects!)
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

That definitely sounds more like wheel bearings. Does it get louder at high speed as well?

Unfortunately if they're on the front, you'll need to have new ones pressed in (unless you have a bearing press).
- Gord
Volones

Post by Volones »

onlytrueromeo, it's definitely not the traditional CV axle clicking sound. What I'm hearing can be better described as a...
RuumRuumRuumRuumRuum
This sound varies in tone with speed so as I accelerate it sounds like this...
RuuumRuuumRuuumRuumRuumRuumRumRumRumRumRmRmRmRmRm
When I go around corners like interstate on ramps or 30mph corners (i LOVE 30mph corners btw), or similar sweeping curves, the sound gets louder like this...
RuumRuumRuumRumRumRumRmRmRmRmRmRmRmRmRmRmRmRmRmRm
I hope that makes sense, I was inspired by SuperK :)
Current Hypermiler, future EcoModder.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Could definitely be wheel bearings, but could be a couple other things too.

Check to see if anything is rubbing - when's the last time you checked to see how your springs were doing? My friends car made a rubbing noise and he had a broken spring pressing against his wheel.

I've also heard that when bushings go really bad or an endlink is broken it will throw the position of the wheel in question out of wack, and could make it rub against something.

Goodluck! Best thing to do is to identify where exactly the noise is coming from on the car, and from what side, keep trying to narrow it down!
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

And not to inject some horrifying nightmare scenarios but .... have you checked your transmission oil level recently? The CV shafts are always spinning at front-wheel-speed, so if your tranny bearings are shot (ie. differential.. would change around turns) that might also make that kind of sound. I'm not sure on that though.

Probably just the wheel bearings, or yeah - maybe a spring rubbing the tire.
- Gord

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”