A bunch of Throttle Body problems (Idle, leaks)

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
vansolrick

A bunch of Throttle Body problems (Idle, leaks)

Post by vansolrick »

First off I need to mention that I am not using the stock Throttle body that came with the car. My buddy and I replaced the stock TBI with a TBI from a 95 MX-6 2.5L to my stock manifold (K8 Motor). Overall my problem is with high Idle and leaks between the TBI and the manifold. Here's what happened in order of what we have done.

1) First we removed the old TBI and spacer and set it aside. We removed the TPS from the K8 TBI and applied it to the MX-6 TBI.
2) After using a cracked gasket with some silicone compound to seal it, and firing it up, we noticed air leaks. We added one more coat of the silicone gasket maker and left for the night.
3) Next day around noon I fired up the car and it had no more leaks.
4) Upon test driving, I noticed the Idle was high (about 1.5K RPM), and it would spike up to about 3k RPMS and back down to about 1.5K RPMS every second in neutral. When I released the clutch it would continue doing this and the car would drive smoothly for the first second, then choke as if I weren't giving it enough gas, then speed off as if I were gunning it (however I did not make any change on the throttle).It would keep doing this
5) I figured it was the ISC valve causing the throttle spikes because it was stamped with "KL47" and decided to swap my previous stock one onto the MX-6 TBI (stock ISC valve is stamped something like K8"
6) I fixed the jerking problems with the idle spikes, however I have air/vacuum leaks again right at where the TBI connects to the manifold (possibly due to my crappy paper gasket that I cut out), and the idle is still a little high (about 1K RPMS warm). I tried turning down the idle but I have the screw tightened all the way.

Later todayI'm going to try resealing a new gasket (finding gaskets for these cars are hard over here! :P ) and hopefully once it is set I will try to go from there.

Has anyone heard of someone bolting on an MX-6 TBI to a K8? Is it possible that it is letting in too much air? Maybe the leak is causing the higher idle this time? I always thought the computer would be able to regulate that with the vacuums using the sensors. However I'll try to post part #s later once the sun is up :)

Anyway this is my first post outside the intro section.

Thanks!

**EDIT: I know some of the things I posted in here may seem like common sense fixes but I just wanted to be really certain on what I'll do next because I didn't find much info out there about people doing TBI swaps with a slightly larger one from a MX-6.

UPDATE:

Ok the leaks stopped. I'm guessing the silicone seal just needed more time to completely seal. The idle seems to have also improved. On start it's around 1K Revs (probably just due to the cold air) but after 5-10 min of driving it drops to about 700 revs. Hope it stays this way!
caruscar

Re: A bunch of Throttle Body problems (Idle, leaks)

Post by caruscar »

If you are using headers than no problem but if not take that TB off. That setup is used like i had it with K8 but headers with straight pipe straight threw. you need more aire flow out. What happens if that car does need all that air comming in. Now on the top end you feel the power. Put Headers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”