[GI] Shift gates with, or without short OEM knobs.

Do you have an MX-3 related item for sale? Post a quick note here.
fowljesse
Supporting Member

[GI] Shift gates with, or without short OEM knobs.

Post by fowljesse »

Here is a prototype for an MX-3 shift gate for the OEM shifter. It will work on short shifters, but I will probably make another pattern for them. I got an Ebay gate from Rekognize, and it SUCKS! I don't know how he made it look so good in his pics. It doesn't fit at all. EDIT: It was for the '94+ style console :lol:

About my design:
The MX-3 doesn't have a "shift pattern" that can be put into a gate. Fortunately, in a way, the pattern is so tight that there's no room for the "fingers". I can make a fake pattern, if wanted. For this one, I used a plastic that matches the console, and looks OEM, but can make them with anything, including Aluminum (polished, brushed, matte, etc..), Carbon Fiber, Plastic (shown), Wood, Smoked Plexiglass to be underlit... Anything you want.

The OEM shifter uses that entire square space.

Here it is in 1st gear:

There is a lower plate that hides the ugliness in there. No matter how close you look, you can't see anything in there, unless you get a little flashlight, and stick your face between the seats :wink: .
These will be held in place by the original piece that holds the bottom of the boot in place.

While messing with this, I didn't like how awkward the OEM shifter looks, being so tall, so I drilled out the knob, and tapped it, so now it sits a good inch lower, so I'll sell these in another thread, and in conjunction with the gates.

This is with the "short shift" knob. I painted the part that would hold the boot. I can feel the slight change in the throw, too :)
Pricing will, of course, depend on the material, and how many people want it in that material. I can match the Ebay price, for the plastic ones.

As always, input is appreciated!
Last edited by fowljesse on January 26th, 2009, 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
se7en

Re: [GI] Shift gates with, or without short OEM knobs.

Post by se7en »

I think the reason that the ebay one didn't fit is because you have a early style interior, and the ebay ones are designed for the 1994 and new interior.
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

OH! I didn't know that. I guess I'll have to get ahold of a newer car to make these for them.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
rekognize

Post by rekognize »

forgot to tell you it's only for 1994+ :mrgreen:
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

Ill take one of the plastic ones, What will the price be shipped for one of the plastic ones to the US?
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I appreciate the enthusiasm :D
I'm working on making it so there's not a square hole. It'll be a few days, but I think I can send it to you for $20 shipped.
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

Let me know when they are completed, I want one!

Return to “MX-3 Related Items For Sale/Trade”