how to find tdc

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
92MX3

how to find tdc

Post by 92MX3 »

need to find how to get to tdc on a 92 mx3 1.6. i advanced my timing on my car to get it to start and now it is running but has no power, and is back firing if someone could help me out with this problem would be great. thanks
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: how to find tdc

Post by fowljesse »

If the mark on the crank is lining up with 0°, and you think it's still not TDC, or aren't sure if it's BDC, take the spark plug out of #1 cyl. and put something in there (I used an extra long ratchet wrench extension with a rubber nipple on it). Turn the engine over with a wrench on the crank pulley until the impliment of your choice at it's highest point, and put a line on it. Then move the crank wrench back, and forth until you find the very highest point. This is tricky, because within a few degrees of TDC, the crank will move more, and the piston will move less. This isn't the best way to find absolute TDC (If you needed to make a new mark on the crank pulley), but is the best way for what you're doing.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”