KLZE Fuel economy questions

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
solo_ryder

Re: KLZE Fuel economy questions

Post by solo_ryder »

Dont have a engine in the car, but I was running a stock bodied mx3 with a amp and sub box for weight adders. ebrake was not rubbing and I was running 5w40 synthetic
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

i am using heavy weights for race car longevity, synthetic 75-140 for the gear box and 20w 50 for the motor, seems to be a happy little car with these weights i'm sure if i went to lower viscosity could gain like 5-10 wheel hp but i was tired of burning stuff up quickly and seems to work for me. also my car weighs 2450 lbs some room for improvement. also a side note when i was getting 25 mpg i had 4 tires non mounted, 1 full size spare, tool chest, full size jack, jackstands and chemicals and other misc car parts probably more closer to 3000lbs or so with me in the car
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

my hwy fuel economy is down because i rev so high. 205 40 17 tires, the overall diameter of the tire is smaller then my stock 205 55 15 ones. it revs a noticeable amount higher and my hwy gas mileage is down because of that. k8 for now but maybe your tires are too small like mine. i can blame everything on the car till my face goes blue for my bad gas but in the back of my head i know its an issue with my right foot.
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
DimaK

Post by DimaK »

well forst off put your bloody cat back on, cuz you grand grand grand children will be paying for clean air because you wanted .25hp on on you 180 nothing horsepower car, second about fuel milege
take a can of seafoam and seafoam the car http://www.youtube.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; search word seafoam, and theforget about regular, 30mpg+easy, shift at 4 grand, and keep the foot off the gas when cruising, tap it, almost like cab drivers do, i used to deliver pizza and i was getting better fuel milege then a toyota tercel
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

projectzemx3 wrote:my hwy fuel economy is down because i rev so high. 205 40 17 tires, the overall diameter of the tire is smaller then my stock 205 55 15 ones. it revs a noticeable amount higher and my hwy gas mileage is down because of that. k8 for now but maybe your tires are too small like mine.
Those are what I'm running, but I've also got a ZE too.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
RX8SE3P

Post by RX8SE3P »

Sorry to bump old thread...

I have a KLZE straight neck

KL31 cams
Running 98 octane fuel
No cat
Car not running so great at the moment (not so powerful)
Gear changes strategically (put in 5th at 20kmph if going on massive downhill)
10W50 oil

So far got about 350KM and have just under a 1/4 of a tank. I hope to hit 400 before it reads empty, which requires usually about 35L to fill.

For Americans - I hope to get 250 miles off about 9 gallons. 27 miles to gallon is what I am kind of getting with the ZE. Almost the same if not better than the K8. :lol:
1995 Eunos 30x KLZE
Worklog
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:
My setup is a KL01 Curved-Neck ZE. KL36 ECU with a JE50 VAF, changed to a Probiantor in a K8 ECU, modified-to-fit OBX headers with new 02 sensors, 2.5" crush bent exhaust with a Magnaflow high-flow cat and no resonator, stock FPR with a low-pressure Walbro 255LPH fuel pump. Original Mx-3 tranny with Mx-3 flywheel. Usually running Sonoco 94, or the highest octane I can get.
How can you have a low pressure walbro pump?
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Must be nice, I get around 200 miles per gallon (turbo untunned driving like i stole it)

When it comes to power tho, who cares about gas mileage right? lol
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

WhiteFinish wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:
My setup is a KL01 Curved-Neck ZE. KL36 ECU with a JE50 VAF, changed to a Probiantor in a K8 ECU, modified-to-fit OBX headers with new 02 sensors, 2.5" crush bent exhaust with a Magnaflow high-flow cat and no resonator, stock FPR with a low-pressure Walbro 255LPH fuel pump. Original Mx-3 tranny with Mx-3 flywheel. Usually running Sonoco 94, or the highest octane I can get.
How can you have a low pressure walbro pump?
Cause one exists.

There's the 255LPH HP (High-Pressure) WAL-GSS342 and the Non-HP (if you want to call it that) WAL-GSS-317

Maybe calling it a low-pressure pump isn't correct, but it's not a high-pressure. The HP's are known to blow the stock FPR. Most don't been to know that there are 2 version of the 255LPH
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

Aaah... nice to have learned something again :)

But what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Worklog
Worklog click
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

hgallegos915 wrote:Must be nice, I get around 200 miles per gallon (turbo untunned driving like i stole it)

When it comes to power tho, who cares about gas mileage right? lol
WTF?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

WhiteFinish wrote:Aaah... nice to have learned something again :)

But what are the advantages and disadvantages?
Good Q. The advantage to the non-HP is that you can use your stock FPR and not blow it up ;)
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Solo, if it makes you feel any better, I'm averaging about 9mpg. :oops:

That's city, of course, with constant hard driving. KL-31/ZE with a millenia intake. New plugs, wires, etc. Headers, mostly stock catback. No A/C. OBD-II K8 ECU with JE50 vaf. Yes I know it's awful; I just ordered a KL-02 VAF and AFPR to see if I can lean it out.

It's so rich right now I'm fouling plugs.

I literally get about 170km on a 50L tank.

So.. hope that helps. :lol:
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

nightfire wrote:Solo, if it makes you feel any better, I'm averaging about 9mpg. :oops:

That's city, of course, with constant hard driving. KL-31/ZE with a millenia intake. New plugs, wires, etc. Headers, mostly stock catback. No A/C. OBD-II K8 ECU with JE50 vaf. Yes I know it's awful; I just ordered a KL-02 VAF and AFPR to see if I can lean it out.

It's so rich right now I'm fouling plugs.

I literally get about 170km on a 50L tank.

So.. hope that helps. :lol:
OUCH!! Man that sucks, hope you get it leaned out soon. I know my first ZE swap on the stock K8 ECU was horrible, I was getting about 12mpg I think.
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

When would your fuel economy be better?
When driving with vris1 and 2 open or closed?

Worklog
Worklog click

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”