And the headaches continue POWER STEERING

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
hgallegos915

And the headaches continue POWER STEERING

Post by hgallegos915 »

YAY i fixed my main seal and NOW WHAT!

Ok so I replaced my power steering oil ring with a new one, even placed a gasket, permatex that suckaa.. and it STILL LEAKS..

as a matter of fact.. it leaks MORE.

Anyone else have this problem? The fluid leaks from the BACK of the power steering pump.. its annoying.. oil puddle everywhere and my car sounds like a robot when turning.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
Dali
Supporting Member
antispam: No

Re: And the headaches continue POWER STEERING

Post by Dali »

is it leaking from the hose going into the pump, there is a copper washer that needs to go with the banjo bolt. if not there is it leaking from the actual pump? a crack.....
1993 White gs klze.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

Its leaking from the bottom side hose, its a rubber o ring gasket. It always leaks :( The only time I got it to not leak is by buying a used pump that had the hose.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

swap to manual steering its best thing i ever did
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

yeah thats my next thing to do.. did you have to pull the engine appart for that?

I saw it for 125ish on ebay for a mazda 323?
-hec

fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

323 rack with 323 inner tie rods and mx3 outer tie rods... direct bolt on. ;) use the mx3 rack mounts too. and no i dint have to pull engine apart lol
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

Ive had problems with the ps for years! and now that im manual ill never go back. but it does take getting used to at first with the diffrent lock ratios. But all the extra room and no leaks!!!! :love: Also use zx2 tie rod ends with poly bushing boots, they are very durable compaired to stock ones.
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

hey mazda. are the zx2 inner tie rods a bolt in to the manual rack?? are they same length as the mx or shorter? the 323 inners a tiny bit shorter. i ended up welding a nut on the outer tie rod links to lengthen it just a bit for added strength
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

yes the inners are 1/4in shorter than the GS ones. But when you use them believe it or not theres plenty of thred left after an allignment is done. im using 323rack,323 inner rods, zx2 outers. and I am 100% within oem GS specs
fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

ooo zx2 outers! i thought u ment inners.. so the zx2 outers are longer than the gs? so u can get more threads on the shorter 323 inners then if u were to use the oem GS outers??
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

fieromx3 wrote:ooo zx2 outers! i thought u ment inners.. so the zx2 outers are longer than the gs? so u can get more threads on the shorter 323 inners then if u were to use the oem GS outers??
The zx2 outers and 323 outer are are the same length as the GS ones.

The reason I use Zx2 ones is b/c the dust boots are replaceable and you can put ES poly boots on there. I made a post of it....
http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=67100" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you have any questions just ask :wink:
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

wow.. you know what.. im defenetly doing this mod..

I resealed the seal yet AGAIN..the one on the back.. and it STILL leaks.. that POS

oh well.

323 rack time.

oh and my main seal seems to still leak a bit.. maybe ill blow the engine up before it totally goes out again.
-hec

hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

I did a howto on switching to the manual rack a few months back. It's not stickied in the suspension faq but here's a link to it.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=65960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

sweeeet, bookmarked it. AS soon as the weather warms in a few months and my eclipe is painted ill do this. :D

DO I have to remove the subframe to do it? or can it be done with the subframe on?

ir is it jut easier to remove the subframe?
-hec

hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

Unless your engine happens to be out of the car, it's just a lot easier to do change the rack by removing the subframe. The subframe is real easy to get off and put back on.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”