Megasquirt Bulk Buy

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
hppwdn

Megasquirt Bulk Buy

Post by hppwdn »

I know a lot of people here are interested in MS. There's an MS bulk buy on Probetalk right now. It's a good chance to get a good deal on one made by a highly experienced MS builder.

http://forums.probetalk.com/showthread.php?t=1701267058" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Figured I'd let you guys know.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Megasquirt Bulk Buy

Post by Mooneggs »

Thanks for posting this up - those are usually pretty good prices on these systems!
I have so many n00b questions about this I don't know where to start... sigh :?

I guess I'll start by researching MSNS and searching probetalk and this forum....
hppwdn

Post by hppwdn »

You can throw some questions at me as well. I have a pretty decent knowledge of MS. Just about every car I work on has it.
92 MX3 Turbo ($100 junkyard KLG4) 11.904 @ 124.3mph, 14psi, DOT approved Hoosier drags, pump gas.
NSCRA 2009 FWD Drag Radial Finalist
HIN/NOPI Supershow Class Winner - Miami 2010 - Street-Sport Compact-Mazda
Links: Pretty Pic, GoFast Pic, Timeslip, Track Video
As of July 2011 the MX3 has been retired and sold.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

hppwdn wrote:I have a pretty decent knowledge of MS.
^ He's awesome help :)
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

Come next year I'll be begging him for help.
Cody
gunmetalpgt

Post by gunmetalpgt »

Sorry for the newb question.

I've been out of the loop for a while. I heard there are some "plug and play" megaquirt versions out there. (plug into the wiring harness connected to the pcm). Is this true?

If it is true, are these also plug an play on the mx3? (pin locations on the harness are the same on mx3 and probe).. I imagine they are since the k8 and kl pcms are interchangeable.

Thanks
nightfire

Post by nightfire »

Another noob question... :) I'm looking to go MS for my NA KLZE setup (running K8 ECU/OBD-II atm). I've read that normally you have to keep your onboard ECU, and you just piggyback an MS off of it. Is that true?

Or can you completely replace/remove your stock ECU?

Would the fact I'm running the OBD-II ECU cause any serious difficulty in either case?
- Gord
1996 MX-3 GS-ZE 2.5L 5spd
KLZE+LSD / Headers / KL02 VAF / Clutchmasters stage-I / Fidanza 9lb flywheel / Eibach Pro Kit / Tokico HPs / Urethane bushings & mounts / SSR Comp-C 16x7 / General Exclaim UHP 205/45R16 / Wilwood 13" brakes / Whiteline rear swaybar / Carputer / Software Crossover / Infinity components+subs / 41hz Tripath Amp9 / Trunk SLA batt / Keyless entry
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

gunmetalpgt - I think this bulk buy is about as plug and play as it gets for us. You could ask shadome off PT for a custom job, but it's not that bad wiring it up, I don't think it would justify the custom job.

nightfire - It's normal to keep the stock ECU to control some things like IAC and air con. I'll be leaving mine in, it's no big deal! You can run standalone though with some mods. I think you'll be fine regarding OBDII but have a look around probetalk.
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
gunmetalpgt

Post by gunmetalpgt »

marcdh wrote:gunmetalpgt - I think this bulk buy is about as plug and play as it gets for us. You could ask shadome off PT for a custom job, but it's not that bad wiring it up, I don't think it would justify the custom job.

nightfire - It's normal to keep the stock ECU to control some things like IAC and air con. I'll be leaving mine in, it's no big deal! You can run standalone though with some mods. I think you'll be fine regarding OBDII but have a look around probetalk.
I am glad to hear that there is a piggie back off of the pcm. Glad to leave most of the control to the stock programming. Back in the day, I had the original megasquirt for my ford Probe, which replaced the ecu entirely. Had a hard time with cold start enrichements etc..

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”