help changing brakes

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
Doreago

help changing brakes

Post by Doreago »

I am going to attempt to change my brake pads and rotors next week for the first time and was hoping to get some tips on how to do it and maybe a good brand to get. Ive got a book on how to change the brakes, but since it is my first time attempting it I'd like to know some things to watch out for or to be careful of. also is there a difference in changing front and rear brakes? Any help would be appreciated.

Re: help changing brakes

Post by Guest »

question? is the car 4-wheel disk? if yes then the opperation is basicly the same from front to rear. for the front loosen the 2 bolts on the back of the caliper(12 or 14mm i think.) pull the caliper off the roter, then pull the pins that hold the pads in the caliper make shure not to dammage any of the hard where (eg. the pins or clips.) and try to remember how every thing goes back to gether. then push the caliper piston back using a pair of large chanel locks or water pump plires. be carefull not to rip the piston boot. ( pushing the pistons back can be tough depending on the condition of the calipers, if one wont go back then u may have a caliper problem) do only one side at a time, makes things less confusing. now to get the roter off loosen the 2 bolts that hold the brake bridge (17mm i think) take the bridge off and the roters should slide off (their may be 2 screws holding the roter on the hub, take them out) if they dont then hit on the back side of the roter to loosen any rust that may be keeping them on. the rear is simmilar but the rear calipers dont "push" in u need to turn them back. to do this u need a caliper tool( it can be done withut one but if u dont know much about cars i dont sugust it) that should help u at least with the front. if u have any problems at all please take it to a profesional mechanic, brakes are not something to be done half assed. hope that helps man, sorry its so long. any more questions just yell.<p>[ January 21, 2002: Message edited by: Godsmx3 ]
Doreago

Post by Doreago »

thanks for the info GodsMX3. Hopefully I can do figure it all out. I will let ya know if I run into problems. Thanks again.
Sonicxtacy02

Post by Sonicxtacy02 »

hardest part will be to get the bolts off the caliper (if they havent been done in awhile). Air tools maybe necessary
Shaun Newman
SOLD 1994 Blaze Red GS/ SOLD 1994 Chaste White GS-R

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”