Midshaft bearing replacement

A forum for discussions regarding the MX-3' transmission. Swap, technical, and troubleshooting info should be placed here.
psycotuner

Midshaft bearing replacement

Post by psycotuner »

I got a used Mx-3 V6 midshaft for a project im doing in my Zx2. I would feel better in my mind to know that the bearing is brand new. However, Im assuming the bearing needs to be pressed out, I have no idea on how it comes out. and secondly, I would like to try and find a part number for that bearing.

I know my local bearing place sells really good bearings for half the cost of OEM bearings and they work just as good if not better.

So, anyone replace that bearing, would you be so kind in helping me find a part number for that bearing? And Lastly, Can I just take this shaft to my local machine shop and they can press the bearing out?
psycotuner

Re: Midshaft bearing replacement

Post by psycotuner »

psycotuner

Post by psycotuner »

anyone know where might be able to find a part number, even OEM ? ??
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

Call Mazda.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

It's like $65 bucks at Mazda. Need to press it out. Expect that the bolt hole threads may be stripped if you live in a snow/ salt area. Corrosion eats at the threads. No biggy, simply ream and tap to 7/16 fine thread.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
psycotuner

Post by psycotuner »

what bolt holes? Are yopu talking about the bolts holding the midshaft to the block? If sop they are out no problems.
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

That bearing does not need to be pressed out, ive changed at least 3 of them

I just made a "|_| " shaped thing out of 3 pieces of 2x4, hold the shaft up vertical and places the "u" shaped jig upside down with the 2 sides resting on the INNER race of the bearing and gently tap it off with a hammer on the flat end of the 2x4 jig..... you dont have to even beat on it, it comes off no problem.... and install the new one the same way

just have to make sure the 2x4s are close enough together that they rest on the Inner race of the bearing and you are safe
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Ya the bolts come out easy, it's when you try to install and torque them they strip but of course not in every case. Just thought I'd mention it.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Daninski wrote:Just thought I'd mention it.
And you were right to do so! Sorry a little off topic but... Daninski, did you ream and tap with engine in situ? Seems tight to get tools up there :?
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
hgallegos915

Post by hgallegos915 »

um.. I went to a mom and pop shop and the guy took it out with a hammer and pressed it in with a tool he had.
-hec

MX-3 w/ curved neck millenia klde, boosted @ 5 psi. /bov and wastegate are good!/ nitto drag radial/ gutted interior/ millenia red top injectors, vortech fmu/aem wideband/ all bolts ons/ Car put together 100% by me. Mechanic? who needs a mechanic? ew.. real men work on their own cars!
psycotuner

Post by psycotuner »

I was gonna post, I took housing off by smaking it with a hammer, then the bearing came right off the shaft slightly tapping it.

Return to “Transmissions”