Stock Tape Player swap for Protege CD unit | Photos added

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
timpronk

Stock Tape Player swap for Protege CD unit | Photos added

Post by timpronk »

Just returned from the junkyard.

Took a stock cd radio and the pop up tray from a 99 protege, they fit perfectly in the dash of a 1992 mx3 gs, and the wires hook up directly.

Cost was $25 for the cd/radio (protege), a tray under the radio that has pop up front (protege) and the a/c switch (from a mx3), plus the time to take them out. Overall, I am happy with my cheap stock Mazda CD player, and the popup front tray thing is deeper than the stock one in a 1992 dash.

Nice alternative for someone going to the junk yard and just wants a stock cd/radio to replace the stock tape deck/radio.

Maybe this info is already on this site, but I just thought of trying it while at the junk yard for the a/c switch, and it works.

====== PHOTOS ADDED NOV 2008 ===========
Flickr link as required

Flickr Link

Flickr Link

Flickr Link
Tray will fit cd's.

99 protoge cd storage tray with flip up front on left. 1992 mazda mx3 storage tray on right.
========================================
Here is a picture of the 99 protege radio and popup tray (my tray looks a little different) :
Last edited by timpronk on November 6th, 2008, 4:23 pm, edited 5 times in total.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Stock Tape Player swap for Protege CD unit

Post by Mooneggs »

nice find! I've been looking for a replacement tray that had some type of lid cause stuff never stays in the mx-3 tray...
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Do you know if the A/c controls detach (in the protege) - I assume they are electrical and not cable operated - i have been thinking of retrofitting those controls into my mx3....
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

thats really freakin cool especially for someone who doesn't want to take up both DINs to have a cd player, like you'd have to with an mx-3 cd player. i wish i knew about it before the carPC days, i'd totally have done it.

pocket is neat too
purewhitemp5

Post by purewhitemp5 »

a/c controls are electrical and not cable operated in the 99 and up protege's. I believe mazda did away with cable operated controls in 98 on all models.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Nope, Mx-3's had electric push-button controls in 94 and up, either it was an option or not I dont know, but I've seen cable sliders in 94's too, but typically it's electrical
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

Mooneggs wrote:nice find! I've been looking for a replacement tray that had some type of lid cause stuff never stays in the mx-3 tray...
...+1 :2thumbsup: I was actually planning on going to the salvage yard soon, to find a suitable tray that would fit...and now i know. :D
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

Can you post a picture of them installed in your MX-3 dash? I'd love to see the finished look.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
mx3boyze

Post by mx3boyze »

wytbishop wrote:Can you post a picture of them installed in your MX-3 dash? I'd love to see the finished look.
X2, Im curious as to how it looks, I may be on the look out for a protege radio.
purewhitemp5

Post by purewhitemp5 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Nope, Mx-3's had electric push-button controls in 94 and up, either it was an option or not I dont know, but I've seen cable sliders in 94's too, but typically it's electrical

Yup your correct 94 - 98 MX-3's have electronic controls
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

purewhitemp5 wrote:
Nd4SpdSe wrote:Nope, Mx-3's had electric push-button controls in 94 and up, either it was an option or not I dont know, but I've seen cable sliders in 94's too, but typically it's electrical

Yup your correct 94 - 98 MX-3's have electronic controls
I think it was an option, my '94 is cable operated, but it's not the unit from the <'93s because the AC button is right there beside the temperature slider.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
timpronk

Post by timpronk »

Photos added into first post.
92 MX-3 GS 2.5 KLZE
14.385 @ 98.21

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”