Car Audio questions (amplifier questions)

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
Dark_Rider2k3

Car Audio questions (amplifier questions)

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

Okay I have a few amplifier ?'s i'd like to ask of you all:

1. I used to have dual 12-inch infinity reference subs running off a 1200w Sony Xplod amplifier. The subs were wired on both channels (1 sub per channel, on a 2-channel amp). That setup was stolen 2 months ago. I finally got a new setup off Craig's list (dual 12-inch rockford fosgate subs with a rockford fosgate amp), and I noticed that he had his wired up differently. He had both subs running off one positive/negative, and did not use the other + and -. Is there any benefit to this, as they run just fine in my car hooked up, or is it better for me to run each sub off it's own channel? Jut a little confused about this.

2. I also acquired a fairly old amp (Craig PowerPlay 500.. which is approx. 500 watts). I know that the amp works fine, and so I am wondering if it would benefit me (and even if I can) run my front or rear speakers off the amp?

Thanks a lot everyone!!
Mad Cow

Re: Car Audio questions (amplifier questions)

Post by Mad Cow »

If it's 2 channels, use both channels. I don't see the logic in running 2 subs off 1 channel in a 2 channel amp.

And any amp will do better than a head unit for driving speakers, just make sure you have enough line outs, and I would suggest running proper speaker wires too, the stock wires are tiny.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

You didn't describe the new amp very well. Some amps are bridgeable, you only get 1 channel (mono sound) but that's not as important to some people as having more power, which is the advantage of bridging... Yeah.
Cody
Dark_Rider2k3

Post by Dark_Rider2k3 »

tehbrookzorz wrote:You didn't describe the new amp very well. Some amps are bridgeable, you only get 1 channel (mono sound) but that's not as important to some people as having more power, which is the advantage of bridging... Yeah.
Sorry for not describing it well. In a sec i'll get more specs for ya.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Mono is generally better for subs anyway...unless you some reason you wanted so have a left/right sub fade? this would however cause canceling effects as the waves could interfere with each other. Your best bet is probably to bridge it and run it in mono. Again, this does depend on exactly what you are running to determine the limits of the equipment you have.
DimaK

Post by DimaK »

[quote="Mad Cow"]If it's 2 channels, use both channels. I don't see the logic in running 2 subs off 1 channel in a 2 channel amp.

And any amp will do better than a head unit for driving speakers, just make sure you have enough line outs, and I would suggest running proper speaker wires too, the stock wires are tiny.[/quote]

how can you say that if you dont even know what subs they are
DimaK

Post by DimaK »

bottom line is, you gotta find out what subs they are, single 4ohm, dual 4ohm, dual 2 ohm, whatever.and then you wanne hoock it up to the highest reseistance possible.......bottom line

and lord why would you ever use two channels on amp for 2 subs, you cut your power in half.if you bridge it you get more power, and if you connect 2 subs correctly youll get less resisiance, which gives you more power as well

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”