Pictures Short RAM intake

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
SstennizZ

Pictures Short RAM intake

Post by SstennizZ »

Has anybody here got some pictures of a short RAM intake on a v6 engine? I bought a kit with a pipe with 45 deg bend on the end, one rubber and airfilter, but can't decide where to put the VAF..
WhiteFinish

Re: Pictures Short RAM intake

Post by WhiteFinish »

If you don't want to destroy your VAF you should place it horizontal
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
SstennizZ

Post by SstennizZ »

Hey jij hier.. ;)
The opinion on that matter differs quite a bit. If it was really that fragile, why doesn't your VAF go ape s--- when you make a huge turn, fast acceleration or go up/downhill?
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

SstennizZ wrote:Hey jij hier.. ;)
The opinion on that matter differs quite a bit. If it was really that fragile, why doesn't your VAF go ape s--- when you make a huge turn, fast acceleration or go up/downhill?
I think it's the fact that it's always horizontal. My VAF was mounted horizontally and is completely stuck, may be a coincidence but still. Plus, judging by how it works, there's no way I can work properly when horizontal because of gravity.
KLZE-ed '94 RS/'92 GS hybrid -- It's complicated :lol: -- Now somebody's winter beater
1999 Audi A4 2.8Q -- New ride
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

horizontal is the proper way to mount it. You could mount it vertical or angled if you want, but given the fact that if you mount it either of those ways gravity plays a bigger roll and when the engine sucks in the air, it has to work against gravity now. In other words, that little plunger type piece in the maf, will have more resistance facing downward or at an angle than it would facing horizontally.
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
SstennizZ

Post by SstennizZ »

Ok I understand, but how about those pictures? :P
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Genious, instead of changing resistence values in the vaf to trick the ECU I wonder if angling it one way or the other would net the same result? Angling one way would result in a richer flow from the injectors and vise versa (not the car). Sorry for hijacking your post.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

doubt you'll find that many pics, very few peeps decided to go with short ram. Most opt to go with the full size so that they pull air from coolers parts of the engine bay (generally the driver side fender area). then there are those that take it one step further and create a ram air intake where they run the inlet of the intake to the very front of the car, allowing for the momentum of the car to push more air into the engine.
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

Daninski wrote:Genious, instead of changing resistence values in the vaf to trick the ECU I wonder if angling it one way or the other would net the same result? Angling one way would result in a richer flow from the injectors and vise versa (not the car). Sorry for hijacking your post.

It's possible though not sure about the true effects it would play but yes in theory you could could angle it facing either up or down (90/-90 or 45/-45) and allow for more or less resistance. Granted I'm not sure how much this would actually take into effect, as no one on here has actually played with the idea of angling the maf. But the theory still holds water, as gravity would play a role in the resistance of the mafs little plunger.

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=63008" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Scroll down : ) I now have a 6" aluminum dryer hose around it that goes into the fenderwell. Next time I go racing, I'm going take out the headlight, and put the end of it in there for ram air.
I thought about that, too, with the MAF angled. It may just change throttle response, or richness at idle. There was a guy that had his vrtical, and said it didn't make a difference.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
WhiteFinish

Post by WhiteFinish »

I have some actual results from a misplaced vaf.

When testing for my smog it went through the roof (VAF mounted in an angle)

Tried so many different things that I was about to give up.
I was sick of putting everything back the way it was so I mounted the vaf directly on my TB and my filter on the VAF. Suddenly my smog results were perfect

Know it sounds wierd but that's the story :freak: :welder:

Ontopic:
If you want to drive a short ram intake, you should consider something with your hood so you would direct the airflow directly to your filter. If you don't, it will only suck up warm air.
Just another Mx3 freak :)

Feedback topic: Click

Worklog
Worklog click
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Just so you know: Warm air intakes give you better gas mileage.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”