Subwoofer question, dual 2ohm or dual 4 ohm

Car Stereo/Alarm Discussions
DimaK

Subwoofer question, dual 2ohm or dual 4 ohm

Post by DimaK »

i had a 350w kenwood amp and a typhoon 12 inch sub in my 93 pgtwhich i loved that got stolen, so i figured i would get a better stereo.i went out and got a 1100w kenwood monoblock with 12 inch dual voice coils kenwood excelon sub.....sounded like crap, then the amp would go into protection mode if i put it past 20 volume(i got a alpine 0883 deck).then week after my $400 subwoofer pooched........no sound out of it at all.figured out my problem, it was hoocked up into 1 ohm, which amp is not capable of.now im trying to get the best sub i can, i got a rockford fosgate P1, it was like a little piece of paper in the box, no good.then went out and got jbl1202d, which is a dual voice coil.now im running into 4 ohms......my amp produces 300w @ 4 ohm and 500W at 2ohm.now my question is.there are subs that are dual 4ohm, i have dual 2ohm now which can be ran @4 ohm or @1 ohm, can the dual 4ohm be ran @8ohm and @2ohm then?
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Re: Subwoofer question, dual 2ohm or dual 4 ohm

Post by Ryan »

That was a lot of confusingness. Subs can be wired in almost any configuration. You should learn the difference between series and parallel wiring. That would answer your question.

If I'm understanding you right, a 4 ohm dual voice coil is like (4 + 4 ohm) so each sub can be wired as 8 or 2 ohm. Two 4 ohm DVC subs could be wired into 1 ohm, 4 ohm or 16 ohm...
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
tehbrookzorz

Re: Subwoofer question, dual 2ohm or dual 4 ohm

Post by tehbrookzorz »

All that stereo stuff and they didn't provide any instructions?

Crutchfield.com has some pretty awesome how-to's. They have helped me in times of great difficulty... My problem is I get so excited to put things in my car I don't want to take the time to do it right.
Cody

Return to “Car Stereo/Alarm”