Coadt - 96 MX3 V6

In this section, Users can post worklogs for their vehicle and show users their projects. (MX-3 ONLY!). Please create only ONE topic when starting a project, and DO NOT create 2 worklogs for the same vehicle, even though they are different projects. READ THE STICKY!
Coadt

Coadt - 96 MX3 V6

Post by Coadt »

I bought this car about 2 months ago and its been a work in progress. So far the only thing that hasn't busted is the sunroof and thats starting to stick. Just got it out of the shop for some mechanical stuff. The seats are out of a ??? I don't know what year car and other half thought a set of black seat covers would look so nice, will be reupolstering. Its in dire need of some body work but first have to remove the rock coating the last owner was so nice to apply. I bought the car as I like the look and its quick. It has the factory 6 in it. Once its road worth then I will start with the body then will move to the motor. Yes its tape holding the air filter on as the bottom half is missing so its just dangling there......needs some help under the hood. It used to be red as can be seen by the great paint job, it will be returned to red (not a great lover of white)

jrors
Supporting Member

Re: Coadt - 96 MX3 V6

Post by jrors »

Look foward to seeing what you are going to do with your MX :)

Also, those seats came out of a 92-93 MX

And I recommend going to your local junkyard to get the parts for the air filter, as well as other things. My MX was missing a few things under the hood. I went to the junkyard and took care of all of it.
If you fall, then get back up........Luck favors the prepared
Coadt

Post by Coadt »

I went to the junkyards all over around here and MX3's are really scarce. I did manage to get the seats and a few minor things. Have to find another way around it
npspears

Post by npspears »

So why is the door panel off? Are you putting in new speakers or a power lock system? My mx-3 is white and I actually like the color (stock white). I'm not digging your white though
Coadt

Post by Coadt »

The panel is off as had to replace the power window motor and the lock has to be replaced. The panel was pulled off and the holes are to large for the screws. I am not crazy about the white, it wouldn't be too bad if the whole car was done but inside the door is still red and alot of other areas including the dash panel. Its a major work in progress
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Someone painted the dash panels red. That's not my cup of tea. I have a double set of parts to swap out all those dash components back to original. I like white myself, wished I had one. Too bad you don't live here. I probably have all the parts you need to redo your ride and they're red too (not the dash stuff tho :( ) First off get some engine Gunk and clean your engine area. Do a oil change for sure and see if anyone else on here lives near you. I know your not the only NB member here. Where abouts are you anyway, I've been through NB many times. Macdonalds drive through in Edmondson is one of my pit stops. lol
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Coadt

Post by Coadt »

I'm in oromocto just outside of Fredericton, don't blink you will miss it. The paint job on the dash is starting to flake off in spots. The car was abused and looks like it had some aftermarket parts on it, that were removed and not replaced properly with the stock. Have an oil leak somewhere that why its so oily thats next is to clean under the bonnet. On the lighter side "the sunroof works" with a little help.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The oil leak is probably your valve cover gaskets, very common. You may find oil in your spark plug wells too. Thats from the gasket as well. Easy to replace. Don't forget to silicone the corners or your new gaskets will leak (see online manual). Leak could be from your oil filter/cooler as well, no biggy. Always check and adhear to the proper torques. As long as the subframe isn't rotted out (check the rear axel area) your car should be good to go. Take your time and enjoy. If you need parts ask on the [WTB] forum. If your cash strapped post that with it. Some of us may take pity on you and just charge you shipping. :) Cheers
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Coadt

Post by Coadt »

I have replaced the valve cover gaskets and I think that stopped one leak, didn't know about the silicone in the corners will have to check that out. Still seem to have oil in the first spark plug hole. There is a couple more leaks there one is a the front of the engine (nearest rad) and the other is ???????. Will have to clean engine to find it without causing an enviromental disaster. Its not the problem of paying for it, I just can't find the parts. There is some rust on the unside but the mechanic said it wasn't too serious. If its not rusted its not from atlantic canada.
Coadt

Post by Coadt »

I have cleaned the engine, put in an air filter and shield and started the body work which is a very large project. I guess the last owner loved bondo as its the only thing holding the rockers together, that and rock guard spray. As the grinding started more and more rust holes started to show what a mess, so the one or two day job has turned into a major rebuild. On the plus side after some plug and wires the engine sounds great. That idea with the paint can lid works excellent, gets rid of that big piece of plastic, hats off to the person that thought of it. The local scrap yard has turned up some jewels. It has 4 MX3 in it and there are some good parts there.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

The silicone is required according to the Manufacturer at the corners of the heads and a couple other spots to ensure the valve cover gaskets seal. I actually put a thin layer of silicone on the entire mating surface, let it sit for 10 mins to skin over then installed and torqued the heads on. Read the on line manual and it'll tell you exactly what's required. Cheers
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Coadt

Post by Coadt »

Where exactly is the manual, I have googled and nothing. I have tried to find a haynes manual still no luck
Savin

Post by Savin »

The online manual, as in the one found at the mx-3.com homepage. Its on the left side margin...

Anyway, Good luck on the project!
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
Coadt

Post by Coadt »

Vehicle is on the road but still has alot of work to go. The wiring for the dash lights were a mess as someone decided to attempt some soldering and trying to put it back together. The number 3 cylinder has a problem and need an O2 sensor but on the good side most of the body work is done the floor is welded back in and now its going for a paint job. A nice blue as the while looks bad.

Return to “MX-3 Worklogs”