Weird Engine miss problems, weird CEL codes?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
nsngarage

Weird Engine miss problems, weird CEL codes?

Post by nsngarage »

Ok the background:

1993 MX-3 GS SE 5 Speed with a KLDE motor swap and KL01 ECU.

I've just replaced the timing belt and it's spot on with all the marks. JUST replaced the plugs/wires/cap/rotor button. Also checked the timing with a light and it's spot on as well.

AFter putting the car into Diagnostic mode I am getting the following codes:

Codes: This is the order that they are pulling also.

(If im wrong on any of them let me know lol.. kinda tired and can't read at this point after going through what seems like thousands of trouble code pages :( )

Code 09 - Water Theromosensor
Code 30 - No idea, getting 3 solid pulses completely unlike the 9 in code above.
Code 04 - Camshaft Position Sensor? (Which is in the disty I believe)
Code 40 - Again, No idea, I havent seen this anywhere...
Code 01 - After I connect a plug from the PS pump I started getting this code now as well.. No idea.

The car will start, and die repeatedly until I rev it enough to steady it out then it will actually idle.. somewhat. When revving it'll miss consistently it seems through 2-4kish?

I've adjusted the tps to justbefore the fan kicks on and also the throttle screw for the idle, which has nothing to do with the miss but just more information for the MX-3 gods here.. lol :)

I have switched the water neck from the mx-3 motor to the probe motor to have the other water sensor, which im assuming might be the reason the CEL flashes for it? But again, im not sure what the miss is, I've searched and searched this is kind of a last resort.. and I'd rather not take franken'car to a dealer because.. well.. its franken'car.. anyway.. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Josh

PS not that it matters but this has been an 8 month project car so far.. The body is complete, but now it's running like this.. I've included a pic of the bodywork/style that i've put together.. I'd REALLY love to start driving my baby lol :)

and yes i'm aware it's still covered in dust for the most part :P
93 MX-3 GS SE -- KLDE Motor, Full Drift Kit w/molded rear/sides. Project Airbags in the near future!
88 Toyota SupraT -- Complete teardown rebuild this winter! MX-3 Took priority in the garage! >:)
nsngarage

Re: Weird Engine miss problems, weird CEL codes? *updated*

Post by nsngarage »

No help? :( lol

I also just noticed the water temp gauge inside the car no longer reads the temp... not sure when that started but i'll be working on that today :P

Thanks again!
93 MX-3 GS SE -- KLDE Motor, Full Drift Kit w/molded rear/sides. Project Airbags in the near future!
88 Toyota SupraT -- Complete teardown rebuild this winter! MX-3 Took priority in the garage! >:)
onlytrueromeo

Re: Weird Engine miss problems, weird CEL codes?

Post by onlytrueromeo »

Sorry I can't help, but that's the first mx3 I've seen with stripes...looks better than I thought it would.
nsngarage

Post by nsngarage »

well thanks for nothing! lol no just playin, thanks though, yeah i was pretty unsure about it considering our cars aren't as wide as most, and stripes on a neon or cavy look terribad :( lol.. I was pretty happy with it in the end!
nsngarage

Post by nsngarage »

UPDATE: Took the car for a "hell-ride" today just to see how the miss acted under.. my driving :P Almost totally unnoticable during driving, sometimes you feel it buck a little during a pull out.. Other than that she drives like a monster! I'd still like to fix the miss and figure out why all of a sudden my temp gauge doesnt work :(

Here's a couple better pics of the stripes...

Next project is airbags on the front so I dont always have to drive around on coilovers that are jacked way up lol :(
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OK for starters redo your TPS,,properly.
Connect ohmeter to 2 bottom pins (BR and BK/DB) and you should get continuity. If not, loosen 2 TPS retaining bolts and rotate until continuity has just barely been achieved. Semi tighten 2 TPS bolts.
Insert .006" (0.15mm) feeler gauge between the throttle stop screw and throttle lever. This should not break the continuity. If it does break continuity, slightly adjust TPS rotation again to regain the continuity. Insert the gauge in and out a few times to verify.
After confirming continuity with 0.15mm feeler gauge, insert a .020" (.50mm) feeler gauge. This should just barely break continuity but completely. If not re-adjust TPS rotation again. Re-confirm by re-inserting feeler gauge.
In essence, continuity on initial connection to TPS.
Continuity with .15mm gauge inserted.
No continuity with .50mm gauge inserted.
Tighten down TPS retaining bolts.
Re-connect TPS connector.
This should take you at least 1/2 an hour. Let me know how it runs after you do this. Cheers

EDIT: Did you clear your ECU memory by disconnecting the negative from your battery and holding the break peddle down for 15 sec's. After you do that start the car and don't shut it off untill it has run for 15 minutes or so so it can "learn" your new engine.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
nsngarage

Post by nsngarage »

Thx Daninski, I will get to that tomorrow, I have my other baby in the garage today for teardown :( 88 Supra for those who care.. but i'll redo the TPS in the morning to see if that makes any difference, thanks for the great info, I really appreciate it! :)

Josh
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Why did you decide not to continue the stripes on the grill in the front?
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
nsngarage

Post by nsngarage »

well.. that's a new grille...and the reason is because i tried that lol.. and it's horrid... mostly because the stripes dont look perfect since the grille isnt a solid surface.. It just ended up looking kinda... bad i guess? lol i wish i had a picture for ya :( It just looked really weird..

UPDATE: Fyi, in case you dont know.. a car without a working temp sensor will not open the thermostat to cool the engine.. hence my anti-freeze ALL over the ground today.. and i still dont know why it wont read temps... so i'll swap it out and hope it's the sensor and not the wiring :(
nsngarage

Post by nsngarage »

UPDATE: The water temp sensor was cleaned and replaced, it now works.. The thermostat was replaced it seemed to be stuck closed.. I went anti-freeze twice now.. As once it heated up it just pushed it out, and didnt see where from because it was dark outside both times,and i didn't wanna drive the car any further than i had to while it was heated up..

Something else came up as well.. A weird clunking sound while driving.. now with two brand new axles this scared me.. I took everything apart and noticed that the camber kit on the passengers side was loose at the top, so Im assuming that's what was making the noise...

The car doesnt seem to be missing as much anymore, I also found (while the car was lifted) two nice holes in my muffler... looks like I gotta put the cannon back on it :( Too loud for it not being as fast as I want it right now... But it's coming along

Once I get this part together and done, i'll drive it till first snow here in PA, then it's down again for a complete rebuild and turbo fun :)

ANyway, thanks for all the help so far! :)

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”