Broken Coil Spring

This forum is for Discussion on Suspension issues.
MX3ak

Broken Coil Spring

Post by MX3ak »

Yep, s--- happens... my left front coil spring has broke while riding the car :shock:

I notice before there was a "cloking" sound coming from front suspension each side every time I turned left or right. I allways thought was or the balljoint or some bushing shot. Because it was a sound of rubber against metal. I was like a release sound like something was compressed and released almost everytime i turn one side.

Yesterday when it would do that clocking sound it did an mounstrous cracKKK TAHH :freak: So I was like "wha da ell", It camed from left front strut, open the wood, the litlle cap over the strut nut was off because of the impact. I looked under the fender and ther was the spring divided in two in sharp edges :shock: :x :crying:

OH WELL at least I didn't had an accident because of it :roll:

Now I will try to find what was the reason of that all. Where that sound before was coming from.

Stay tuned
K8 running LPG (Liquified Petrol Gas)
mazdamx3freak

Re: Broken Coil Spring

Post by mazdamx3freak »

Thats why there was a recall on the V6 front strut springs. You can find the accual recall forums on here and print them out take them to the dealer and they fix it for free. The springs have a lifetime warrenty so dont let them tell you other wise! :)
colinsmx3

Post by colinsmx3 »

Looking in the system here... the springs DO NOT have a lifetime warrenty. They are replaced once with the updated springs ( usually done by 1997 since letters were sent out to owners) if they break again it is your problem. They run the VIN and see if it has been done and if it has ure outa luck!
I am sitting at my desk looking at the bulletin. (I work at a Mazda dealership.)

There was a recall due to the use of road salt getting stuck in the plastic that wraps around the spring and eating it!
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
4gotn

Post by 4gotn »

have a full set of 4cly springs if you want them
just pay shipping
1994 MX-3 1.6L B6DE 16v DOHC - rear disc swap, nix power steering/ac, Corksport f&r strut tower bars, Pedders urethane control arm bushings, urethane motor mounts, steel braided brake lines, painted dash, protege tranny
90 Miata w/ b6, Konig Lightspeed rims, Cams (boost to come soon)
74 Porsche 914 w/ 1.8L - restoration prooject

MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

Thanks 4gotn that's very kind but It would be too expensive to fly them over the ocean here.

I decided not to wait for Mazda...
I saw mazdamx3freak's post (by the way, nice nickname!!) and started to ask Mazda for the recall. They sayd they would reply me, but never did.

I decided for some Lansferos springs from UK. They're not bad...

But then I took time to do some research on the recall and found that my struts were allready taked in care by the recall, since they have a extra protection on the strut and the coils are market yellow as said in the recall. So.. that's ok... THAT'S OK?? HEY THE SPRING BROKE!! YOU THINKS THAT'S OK?? ...i'm scared... :crying:
MX3ak

Post by MX3ak »

UPDATED;

Finally got a reply from Mazda Portugal, They say my car's is on the Recall... Cool!!

Oh wait.. I allready got the springs from aftermarket store, and installed them!!

Will they do some kind of refund ??
sneechsandwich

Post by sneechsandwich »

The same thing happened, left front coil spring on a 4cyl snapped and went straight through my new tire. It could've been disastrous.....I was 2 blocks from the freeway.....
tehbrookzorz

Post by tehbrookzorz »

MX3ak wrote:Will they do some kind of refund?
Probably not. If you didn't give them sufficient opportunity to honour the recall, I doubt they'll help you out.
Cody

Return to “Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tires”