i am at the crossroads klze, de, or bp

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
bc93mx3

i am at the crossroads klze, de, or bp

Post by bc93mx3 »

so it is time for the old ze to go, it has been a good motor but it is starting to show its age. the way i see it is i have four options for he future of my car:

1. pull the ze rebuild it with forged internals, have it balanced and have the heads worked. finish it off with megasquirt and possibly supercharge it.

2. i have a low mileage de collecting dust so put that in supercharge it and call it good

3. put a bpt motor in it with a slightly larger turbo and leave it at that

4. sell the car find something else (here's a few pics to base your opinion)

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Re: i am at the crossroads klze, de, or bp

Post by fowljesse »

Supercharge the DE, and tell us how you did it/ sell us kits! I haven't seen a reliable Super kit for these yet. Otherwise, rebuild the ZE.
The pics didn't come up for me, probably because this computer suzzucks.
Keep us posted with a worklog!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Rebuild the ZE, stroke and squirt it N/A setup with Colt cams.

Nice car btw, I like the rims and the motor setup. Where you located and where did you get that strut tower bar?
bc93mx3

Post by bc93mx3 »

located in southwest lower Michigan the strut bar is off a newer tib and i fabed up the mounts
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

Hmm... Whatever you decide to do... Can we work out a deal? ... I'm in need of a motor, this K8 just isnt cutting it. You know all about that im sure. Sooo... Whatcha think?
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
bc93mx3

Post by bc93mx3 »

well if i go de i will use the cams out of the ze and the ze needs to be rebuilt so your talking major money, the best thing you can do is find a ze with low mileage from a repuable dealer
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Hehe I think he was messing with you..

But if you are gonna go the DE boosted route.. take the top end from the ZE and the bottom end from the DE and that will be ur best combo as the heads flow better. Maybe do a valve spring and retainer swap from the DE to play safe
SmoothMX3

Post by SmoothMX3 »

bc93mx3 wrote:well if i go de i will use the cams out of the ze and the ze needs to be rebuilt so your talking major money, the best thing you can do is find a ze with low mileage from a repuable dealer
I wasnt jokin at all. lol
If you dont want the DE, I'll take it. lmao ... Like you said, It's collecting dust.
Overall, I think you should combine them. Use everything you have.
93 MX-3 2.5 KLZE - KL101 \\ H&R Springs \\ Short Shifter \\ 17" ADR Rims \\ 205/40/R17 Namkang Tires \\ Millenia Manifold \\ Rockford Amp \\ Rockford 12" Sub \\
--- K8 was my gateway drug.
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

I like the supercharge route. A while back, I saw a KL probe, supercharged and nitrous...It would keep spinning the tires on the dyno, and on the last run, with the nitrous on, he smoked the clutch. The mx-3 probably has less engine bay room than a probe, but a supercharged de/ze hybrid would be sweet :D
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
bc93mx3

Post by bc93mx3 »

so no one likes the bpt option.... i was kind of thinking that might be the best route because it is something like 205 stock already turbocharged, lighter, and less cost to build. am i wrong?
hotsiit
Supporting Member

Post by hotsiit »

Nothing wrong with a bpt at all...that is what I am doing, but I am swapping from a 4cyl to a 4cyl. The GTR version, if you can find one, is rated around 205. An easier to get gtx version is around 180hp.
Chris--It's HOTNESS, you wouldn't understand! -- Donate to MX-3.com--It'll make you feel good!
http://www.cardomain.com/id/colonelsmx3
1993 Mazda MX-3 RS-Turbo
1993 Mazda RX-7 touring
1983 Mazda RX-7 GSL
1995 Subaru Impreza L AWD Sedan
1987 Jeep Comanche
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

For the money, and time you'd spend putting an I4 in there, you'd have a great ZE!
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mazdachad

Post by mazdachad »

i went v6 to bpt for the easy modding but i admit it is a pain. If i did it again id go the gtr route due to its potential out of the box. Its alot easier if you got a 4cyl mx3 for parts i wasted alot of time sourcing parts. Doing the swap ull lose abs and ull need to swap the gauge cluster out for a 4cyl one for the mechanical speedo. At times i wish i went de and turbo route since it seems to be getting much more common these days. Another advantage to the turbo 4 is the great gas mileage you get if you stay off the boost. If i can keep my highway speeds to around 65 i see mid 30 mpgs.
94 green rs
92 black gs project bpt. daily driven bpt in a gs...lovin the boost
Flyer

Post by Flyer »

fowljesse wrote:Supercharge the DE, and tell us how you did it/ sell us kits!
Best option so far.

On a related note, how well does the DE bottom end mate with the ZE head/IM?
MrMazda92 wrote:I find Honduh forums more helpful, typically more pleasant too.
purewhitemp5

Post by purewhitemp5 »

Well if its already got a V-6 in it you might as well keep it in there no sense in spending money on swapping parts. Keep the ZE and rebuild it and drop in some forged 8.5 - 1 pistons , talk to the guys at probe addiction and ask them if there supercharger kit will fit (it will be a tight fit I'll tell you now) or save some money and throw one of their turbo kits on it.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”