MX-3.com whp list

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions

I wont answer this Topic because ...

Poll ended at July 15th, 2008, 6:35 am

This list allready was done in the past, USE SEARCH !
15%
I am an undercover riceboy that own's a Mazda but i would love an Integra or Civic Type-r
35%
I dont like noobie questions
5%
I dont have time for this
20%
I am retarded, and i can´t seem to behave myself in a decent forum ...
25%

Total votes: 20

wytbishop

Re: MX-3.com whp list

Post by wytbishop »

ooops
Last edited by wytbishop on October 2nd, 2008, 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

How it works...

Power is the rate at which work is done. Horsepower for rotating objects is defined by the formula...

P = T * N/5252

Power in Horsepower is equal to Torque in Lb-ft multiplied by the rotational velocity in RPM divided by 5252. The number 5252 is a conversion factor which relates RPM to a compatible unit of angular velocity (rotational speed).

Dynomometers don't measure horsepower, they measure torque. The big drums that the wheels of the car drive on a chassis dyno are connected to a series of magical devices from which a tiny elf who lives in the Dyno is able to determine the Torque applied to the drum. Once the torque is known, the HP is calculated from the formula above and plotted on a graph vs. engine speed.

Here's the cool bit...If you look at that formula above, you'll will note that when the engine is turning at 5252RPM, the formula reduces to...

P = T

If you look at any dyno chart ever done in these units (HP and Lb-Ft, not Watts and Newton Meters) you will see that the lines cross at 5252 RPM...every single time. Math is frickin cool.

The difference between WHP (wheel horse power) and BHP (brake horse power) is the difference between real and ideal power. WHP which is determined on a Dyno from observed data is the actual power your engine is delivering to the road. BHP is the amount of power generated at the crankshaft of the engine and doesn't account for the losses experienced in the Transmission and driveline. It is called Brake horsepower because of the way power was determined in the good old days. A device called a Prony Brake was attached to the output shaft of an engine and torque was measured there. A prony Brake is essentially a mechanical arm of known length and a spring of known spring rate. Start the engine and measure how far it is able to elongate the spring to determine the force applied to the spring. Multiply by the length of the brake arm and presto, you've got torque.

I enjoy our little chats.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
leo323

Post by leo323 »

255 whp n/a KLZE heads
11.20 @120 1.58 60 ft ALL Motor KL
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

leo323 wrote:255 whp n/a KLZE heads
How??? That's awesome.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Enough of the mumbo-jumbo. Horsepower is how fast you hit a wall, and torque is how much of the wall you move. Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end, and oversteer is when you hit it with your back end.

Know why they call it "Horse" power? It was a "Calculation" of how much a horse could lift, or push. Incidentally, a human has about 1.2 peak horsepower, and an athelete ~ such as myself :wink: ~ can exert about a half of a horsepoer constantly. And a Horse has up to 15 horsepower, as measured today, but still works at about 1, at a constant pace.
It's like how they got the random measurements for a "foot", "inch" etc..
Fools.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

It's not mumbo jombo...its science man...it's beautiful...it's my religion.

Sir Isaak Newton is my Jesus Christ.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It's all smoke, and mirrors, buzzes, and pops, voodoo, and magic.
Okay.. I'm just jealous. I don't get numbers and math.
If it weren't for numbers, my I.Q. would be higher than the 130s.
It's always bothered me how variable the drivetrain losses are. I would think a brand new drivetrain with synthetic fluids would have up to several less HP loss than an old one with bad fluids.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
leo323

Post by leo323 »

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn19 ... 1222981993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn19 ... 1222982104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn19 ... 1222982155" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; < that run was made with street tires and 25 whp lees havent visit the track hopefully wil soon ...
se7en

Post by se7en »

More pics of your engine bay please leo!!!
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
1992 Fairlady Z(JDM RHD) 2+2 TT black(done!)700whp+
My Feedback
Don't Click Here! Trust me,Time waster!
leo323

Post by leo323 »

se7en

Post by se7en »

:):):):):):)

I went out and got a boost controller finally...

turned up the boost to 12psi from 7psi....

brought out the g-tech again....

NEW horsepower number: 245whp 287bhp

on a turbo k8.

This thing really hauls now! In third gear, around 5500rpm, the tires went up in smoke instantly...LOL kinda scary
(that's after trying to get traction in the other two gear LOL)

It went kinda like this....

1st gear...launch...spin......shift
2nd gear spin some more.....shift
3rd gear..spin...stick.....spin some more....shift
4th gear....finally putting some power to the ground...
5th gear...pulls like third used to :)

I will get a video soon, I promise!

cheers

-se7
1992 mx-3 GS-T, 10-12psi, T3/t4 hybrid, Turbosmart WG, AFPR, SSAC TURBO pipes, MSD Blaster coil, K&N, AEM W/B, MSnS(full standalone), 225Whp street tuned(10psi), 245Whp (12psi)(300bhp!!!)
My Feedback
se7en

Post by se7en »

what, no one is excited about this?

I sure as hell am!
My Feedback
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I just found this, and I AM excited!
Great job!
I'm looking forward to the video :o
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

se7en wrote:turned up the boost to 12psi from 7psi....

brought out the g-tech again....

NEW horsepower number: 245whp 287bhp

on a turbo k8.
:lol: that's quite a hike up! Does it seem like it will last? I'm impressed! What miles are on that k8?
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
se7en

Post by se7en »

Ya, it seems like it likes it....any more boost though, and detonation comes in...

pulls like a motherFlaker though!!
My Feedback

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”