car died need assistance

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
ninjajim4

Re: car died need assistance

Post by ninjajim4 »

do you know how to install the ditsy...? its not just a matter of slapping it on, or going one way or the other way. it needs be adjusted. if you look at the mounting points, you can see there's room to move it around. that's what a timing light is for. i think you should take a look at the exact procedure in the manual. if your ditsy is way off it's pratically the same thing as your timing belt being off
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

well I have never installed a disty before but I figured if I installed it the exact same way the other one came out it should work right?
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

I donno if you're still solving this problem, but when you replace the disty, it has to be fairly PRECISE. Off by a few millimeters and your timing is off. You can adjust the timing by rotating the disty a bit.
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

yea I kind of figured if it was off it wouldnt start so I started the disty at one end of the bracket and rotated it slowley all the way to the other side trying to start the car with every tiny movement and it got closest to starting in the position I started in. I have tried everything possible to get the timing right and the car does not start. which leads me to think maybe its not getting enough air. Is there a way to test and see if the VAF is bad?
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
Whisper

Post by Whisper »

Don't think VAF could go bad just like that, but you can pull it out and see if the plunger slides smoothly and all the way without getting stuck. Then test the electrical on it according to the manual. While you're at it, check the air filter and throttle body. Make sure they're clean.

What about your fuel filter? Make sure your fuel lines are all hooked up and haven't slipped off.

Lastly, check spark plugs and wires.
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

ok an update on my starting issues my VAF is within specs and operating fine. I found a led and I checked my codes and from what I could tell it looked like I got 3 short blinks a pause for a few second then 4 short blinks. according to the codes in the manual that means g signal crank angle sensor 1 and ne1 crank angle sensor. Now looking at the manual it informs me to check the connection it hooks up fine so I go to the next step and it asks me if there is continuity between 6 pin A and ground. this is where im getting confused am I suppose to unplug the connection and check pin a with voltmeter or leave it plugged in and check it that way?also I am referenceing manual numbers F2-080 and 81.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

another update I just reset my ecu and went to start the car and check to see if the codes would come up again and now my battery is almost dead so I am going to jump it and hope I can get enough juice in the battery. Also just a helpfull hint to anyone who is a noob to checking codes with an led always turn your ignition off before pulling your ten and gnd or you will fry you led :lol:
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”