[GI] CF OEM Side Skirts

New product ideas and status of new product development postings.
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

[GI] CF OEM Side Skirts

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

With the success of the current CF Hatch BB, I'm playing with the idea of getting these produced in CF.

http://www.mx-3.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=56041" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts?
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

http://www.pakfeifertuning.com
Savin

Re: [GI] CF OEM Side Skirts

Post by Savin »

We all would love you!
I think its a great idea. I have a feeling alot of people will want them.

a few questions though...
Since CF is designed to break upon impact (reference to formula 1 cars, etc) wouldn't these be at high risk of getting completely destroyed if you hit something like a speedbump too hard? I know fiberglass would be much the same way. I guess how would we know that these could withstand daily abuse? Or are we just supposed to have faith that they'll last a while?

What would the price range be?
Would you also be able to make them in FG for those who don't want/ can't afford CF?

Questioning over. :)
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

Most molds designed for composites can be laid up in either FG or CF, so to answer your question, yes we can do it in either CF or FG

I personally have these on my car. Of course they are original urethane side skirts but Icannot remember any time ever hitting them on a speed bump or curb for that matter, so I don't think that anyone should be worried about that.

Further, CF is much stronger than fiberglass which would shatter, CF will crack so visually it would hurt but in terms of structure, they would hold up quite well.

Back to your point; Idon't think members should concern themselves with cracking them as I've yet to hear about any members whips being so low that this becomes an issue...

Daily abuse and beyond. I'd even encourage a kick or two to show your friends how strong they actually are!!!
OSKY
95 MX-3 GS ZE Turbo: MSnS-extra, AEM WB, Blitz boost controller, MSD 6A w/ Blaster2 Coil, ZE disty, Redtops @ 550, Walbro 255, Garrett T3/T04E 60 Trim w/ .63 A/R, 38mm Deltagate Mark II @4psi, FMIC, Apexi BOV, CM Dual friction, 4-6.25 Kickers, 2ch Alpine V12. That's Alll.

EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

I'd price the pair at $500 CDN plus shipping in CF and $400 in FG.

I'd need to figure out the tooling cost to know for sure, but from experience I'd say they are pretty close.
OSKY

fieromx3
Supporting Member

Post by fieromx3 »

id be in!
93' MX-3 GS-ZE
14.4 @ 96.7
14.5 @ 97.2
Mnemonic
Forum Moderator

Post by Mnemonic »

to be honest Great Idea, BAD PRICE.

Your charging 600 for the CF hatch, and 500 for cf side skirts. Not knocking you or trying to aggravate just trying to see the logic in the pricing. I understand that these aren't available for the mx-3 but neither is the cf hatch. Looking at this as a draftsman and designer I have to say the Tooling and R&D on side skirts would be easier than the hatch and its obvious that you'll be using less material as there is less space taken up with the side skirts over the hatch.

500 seems steep compared to the hatch, cf sides on my is300 only run me 260, yes granted i can buy from a few other companies which yes more options will lower cost. But still 500 is kinda high, i would say 300 for cf and 200 for fg (400?) would be a more reasonable price.

just my thoughts
08 Infiniti G37s 6speed (The Daily)
Stillen Cold Air Intake, Z1 Plenum Power Mod, Z1 Headers, Z1 Test Pipe, OBX (Ark) Exhaust, Up-Rev Osiris Engine Management (Tuned at Z1), 20x9" 20x10" Str Racing Concave Staggered Rims, SPC Camber kit, Tein H Techs Springs

01 Lexus Is300 (LS2 Project)
93 Mx3 SE 2.5 KLZE (sold it)
93 Mx3 GS 2.0 KFZE (killed it)
Custommx3
Site Administrator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Custommx3 »

I hate to agree, but thats very steep. OEM urethane ones didn't cost anywhere near that new. If someone wants to pay that, then to each his own.
monty73741
Forum Moderator

Post by monty73741 »

Custommx3 wrote:I hate to agree, but thats very steep. OEM urethane ones didn't cost anywhere near that new. If someone wants to pay that, then to each his own.
are u going to ship them in a box instead of plastic wrap. Thats how my OEM from you came
Jason Danaher
Please Help Support MX-3.com
MX-3.com Online Store - http://www.mx-3.com/osv3
CafePress - http://www.cafepress.com/mx3com
JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

i think 300 for FG sides is alot more reasonable, id be in for that but no more
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

IMO 400 is abit steep for FG skirts that arent to large or dynamic. I would be down for a set but would be looking for more of what Josh was charging which was 250+shipping.
EZ_4_FUN
Supporting Member

Post by EZ_4_FUN »

in terms of material, I think its pretty close the amount of CF used for either the hatch or the OEM sides. Probably more for the skirts... The mold would be simpler, I agree.

I will look at how much it costs to tool and try to lower costs when possible.

$250 + shipping is impossible for CF, zero margin and nobody works for free right?

Monty, are you angry about the way I shipped your extremely durable OEM side skirts about 6 years ago when I was merely a schmuck in the scene? A set in CF would come in a box. I saved you on shipping I believe and cost of product. Were you not satisfied with what you got? just asking...
OSKY

JWMX3

Post by JWMX3 »

EZ_4_FUN wrote:

$250 + shipping is impossible for CF, zero margin and nobody works for free right?
i think he was referring to Fiberglass for 250+ shipping
94' Mx3 GS 0-60 in 7.53s [5 spd conversion / Rebuilt 2.5 KL]
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Yea, I am not interested in CF stuff on my car. But I would like a set of these in fiberglass
rece

Post by rece »

I would be interested in a set of FG, if the price was no more than $300
Jesse<BR>red 92 gs
solo_ryder

Post by solo_ryder »

Any news on these?

Return to “New Product Development”