AEM FIC (and my opinions)

A section dedicated to Engine Mangement Systems & Engine Tuning. Megasquirt, SMS, Haltek, ect.
lazzer408

AEM FIC (and my opinions)

Post by lazzer408 »

(Copied from my mt.net post)

I finally got an FIC wired up in my MX3. The 3 has a BP engine swap now and is boosted with the BP26 turbo setup.

I said I'd post my opinion of it when I had a chance. So here it is.

Compaired to the EMS, the FIC is harder to work with imo. For example. To change values you have to manually enter them or hit ctrl-u and ctrl-d to increase or decrease a value. You'd be suprised how hard that is vs. using the +/- keys like the EMS. It makes it difficult to modify a value quickly and with one hand. There isnt a target box either. You have no idea whether or not your smack dab in the middle of a cell or slightly off. An adjacent cell could be modifying the value in the active cell and you'll never know. You have to feel it out. Don't get me wrong. There is -much- less to deal with then a stand alone. I'd say the FIC can be learned quickly by a novice tuner. If you can install your own turbo and know how to read wiring diagrams and connect wires you'll grasp the FIC easily.

As far as the MAF elimination goes, yes you can eliminate the MAF. Here's how that works. You choose "MAP as load" in the configuration and then modify the "MAF Map" (in voltage mode). The values you enter in the MAF Map will be the voltages the FIC sends the factory ECU as the MAF signal. I left the MAF sensor (and recirculation bov) installed. I watched the MAF voltage, as displayed by the FIC, and entered that voltage into the MAF Map at any given load/rpm. It takes awhile. If data logging actually worked it would be easier but that's AEM bugs for ya. Of all the things it's logging, MAF voltage is blank. When time comes to upgrade injectors, I think I'll tune it with the MAF Map rather then the actual Fuel Map. Once a drivable state is reached, where the factory ECU isn't trimming fuel, I'll use the Fuel Map like a boost-comp map. I'm using the IGN Map to pull 2deg/psi. That's working well. Both the Fuel Map and IGN Map have an auto-fill feature so the user can simply choose X-deg per lb of boost.

The FIC has a nice gauge display. Tach, Load, and a 3rd user configurable gauge that can be used to monitor a wideband. All gauges have adjustable min/max/yellowline/redline adjustments.

Breakpoints are also adjustable. Don't plan on 50lbs of boost at 10,000rpm? Then readjust the breakpoints for 30lbs@8500 max to increase the resolution of the maps.

The MAP load is measured in kpa or psia. This means that "12lbs of boost" is going to show up as 26.5lbs (psia) in the FIC. I understand how pressure works but I don't understand why the user interface has to work in those values. Another anoyance.

I may update this post as time goes on, and bugs show up.

EDIT - This thing REALLY needs a 3D map view.

Return to “Engine Electronics/Tuning”