HEI done but still leaves me stranded... Please Help

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Nd4SpdSe

Re: HEI done but still leaves me stranded... Please Help

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

well, the holes are there because they share the block and the like. If they didn't block the hole one way there's be a nice vacuum leak

Ya, you're right, the K8 and DE ECU's using the EGR. I wouldn't be surprised if the Probinator did it too. So ya, if you want to use the EGR, those would be the ECU's to use.

I will say that I know my KL36 runs lean and my Probinator runs rich, so that my also determine if someone needs to hook up the EGR on the richer Probinator chip (which may use the same fuel maps as the DE ECU) to be able to pass an emission test, but each car/motor/setup is different too. But for our experience up there, the ZE ECU's, both 31 and 36 pass the Ontario emission tests no problem on a standard ZE. Not sure if anyone has done it with a Probinator yet.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
JNeil

Post by JNeil »

Hey guys, sorry to change topics but I've decided to just stick with the HEI/coil mod for now instead of the whole swap (moneys tight as Im starting school this semester :( ). I live in Alberta and we dont have to do emissions tests either.

I just got the MSD parts for the coil mod as well as a new cap and rotor while I'm at it, I have one questions. First, what do I use to connect the 8.5mm coil wire to the top of the coil (the coil wire and the coil are both female connections) I cant find it in any faqs and the search function is not helping again.

Thanks again in advance

-Jneil
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

You can use the MSD power tower it just clips right onto the blaster coil. I can't recall what I paid for it, I think about $14 at Mopac.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
JNeil

Post by JNeil »

So I need 2 power towers??
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

You can do it that way yes. You can also get a different coil with a male end.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
JNeil

Post by JNeil »

Ok so I got my coil running and the car runs. However, I couldnt find a 1/2watt 1000ohm resistor anywhere so I used a 1/4watt 470ohm resistor, I need to know if there are any problems with my substitution?

Also I have the stock intake box and I cant put that black tube thing on the left side of the intake back on with my modded cap.. What do I do (besides get a cold air intake), is there a way to make it fit?
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

If you mean the silencer just block it off with a paint can lid.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
JNeil

Post by JNeil »

Ok, so I got the silencer blocked off. External coil mod is done and HEI is done, it worked for a week and by the end the car was having a hard time starting (turning over 4-10 times before it started). Now it's stalling again, 3 times in 2 days. Would the resistor on the tach cable have anything to do with this because i removed it completely for now because one side of the resistor was disconnected?

Could the external MSD coil fail within a week? If that's unlikely I'm going to try to replace the ignition control module again (each one is $70 here in Alberta, I cant find any cheaper). This is really annoying I need it fixed as I'm moving on Monday and cant be messing around with this on the highway :( :( :(
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I have my EGR connected complete but I didn't modify the block so it's not really doing anything. I just hooked it up so I wouldn't get a code. I have new O2 sensors and passed the emmisions test with a stock 96 ECU under Hot Rod status. NO was high so I'd like to try and bring that down. HEI is on my list of mods and that may help the emmisons test.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

JNeil wrote:Ok, so I got the silencer blocked off. External coil mod is done and HEI is done, it worked for a week and by the end the car was having a hard time starting (turning over 4-10 times before it started). Now it's stalling again, 3 times in 2 days. Would the resistor on the tach cable have anything to do with this because i removed it completely for now because one side of the resistor was disconnected?

Could the external MSD coil fail within a week? If that's unlikely I'm going to try to replace the ignition control module again (each one is $70 here in Alberta, I cant find any cheaper). This is really annoying I need it fixed as I'm moving on Monday and cant be messing around with this on the highway :( :( :(
I got an Accel GM HEI ignitor module #35361 from Mopac in Edmonton for I think $34. There is also one in Calgary and maybe Red Deer, not sure where you are.
My Worklog
My feedback thread
yvan

Post by yvan »

i had this problem down the road awhile back -- drove me crazy for a bit. i would say check the Engine Main Relay-- check for good resistance and hook it up to battery and apply power to the coil,repeat a few times because the problem might occur ever other time.. with coil energize you should have good continuity between the other two posts of the relay. This is also a common no spark on the mx3. If relay check out good then check the female connect that connect to the relay..you have to undo them from the bottom of the fuse block..make sure they're not green or corroded. This have been overlooked by many technician. hope this helped you out.
93' blue mx-3, klze curve neck, kl36ecu, all the upgrade possible/out turbo.
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

Make sure you have a resistor hooked up. the closer to 1000 ohms the better. I had a lot of problems with poor quality resistors and bad connections doing funny things with my tach / stalling over the long term. And I would highly suggest soldering all connections. I also had a random stall that was merely a loose connection jiggling over bumps.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”