piggy back chips??

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
noluv

piggy back chips??

Post by noluv »

Hi,
any one used them piggy back chipps that connect to the air flow metre?
seen them on ebay very cheap and wondering if it worth a go and what will it do to the car?
like,eat more petrol,how much more bhp?
i know what its ment to do but what seller says and it does are 2 different things.
i will be getting it for a 92 1.8 v6mx3.
any advise appreciated
thanks
marcdh

Re: piggy back chips??

Post by marcdh »

general consensus = rubbish

the stock ecu is pretty well tuned as is, dumping more fuel in wont do you any favours. If you want more power swap your engine, it's the best thing you can do to these cars :D
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
Mx-3 2.5 V6 Turbo 291 BHP 251 lbft @ 8psi - Retired due to rust and back at uni
View Worklog
RS_OBD'oh_2

Post by RS_OBD'oh_2 »

Go to your room!

And search useless products/mods. Many people have asked and they all have been made fun of. Horse power does not come in a little box w/ 2 wires comming out of it.
Savin

Post by Savin »

Really now, can we make it so you get banned if you ask about these within your first few posts? It obvious the new people don't read and search first. This topic has been popping up as much as the moles in whack-a-mole within the past month or two.

I know that when it comes to other members that I'm still a noob when it comes to the mx. I know a decent ammount, but I'm always learning.

But come on now, if its a freakin' eBay chip that says it'll add like 60+ hp for $3 and you consider it, I honestly don't think you deserve to have the car....

I'm just a little PO'd that new people don't read anymore. If anything THIS type of stuff is what you should be reading first. Read how its no good and pointless to buy.

*takes deep breath* All better. :D
'95 MX-3 RS - Project "Déjà Vu" Destined for the scrapyard.
'93 MX-3 GS - SOLD!
'93 MX-3 GS SE - Parts car!
'94 MX-3 GS - Scrapped
'94 MX-3 RS - Scrapped
'96 Sunfire SE - Scrapped
'03 Sunfire SE - Deathtrap
'95 Cavalier Base - Scrapped
'94 Thunderbird LX - Collects dust
'89 Mustang GT - SOLD!
noluv

Post by noluv »

Savin wrote:Really now, can we make it so you get banned if you ask about these within your first few posts? It obvious the new people don't read and search first. This topic has been popping up as much as the moles in whack-a-mole within the past month or two.

I know that when it comes to other members that I'm still a noob when it comes to the mx. I know a decent ammount, but I'm always learning.

But come on now, if its a freakin' eBay chip that says it'll add like 60+ hp for $3 and you consider it, I honestly don't think you deserve to have the car....

I'm just a little PO'd that new people don't read anymore. If anything THIS type of stuff is what you should be reading first. Read how its no good and pointless to buy.

*takes deep breath* All better. :D
may be but lets remember im new and not familiar with the forum.
ban me if you think thats what i deserve!
and if you cant help me and wanna make fun then why post?
i know if i was reading a topice that i knew about,weather they had searched or not i would help if i could "the hole idea of a forum"!!

I did search and there was a load of different piggy back sytems which obviously wasnt the one i was talking about,so thats why i asked the question.
thank you and as i say if you cant help me or cant resist making fun of me then dont post!
thanks for half decent replies.
appreciated.

ps if any thing you should be helping me as a fellow mx3 owner and lover "not b----ing" ban me for what exactly?
got to my room?with comments like that you should be banned,as simple as that,if you got nothing good to say dont say it at all.
1st reply "thank you mate" :D :wink:
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

:lol: people just get sick of the same questions, each time someone new asks theres a harsher response! And just in case, the ebay superchargers are BS too ;)

Join http://www.uk-mx3.com
AZ-3 1498cc Turbo! EVO 8 turbo and manifold, 5 stud swap, SSR Type C, DIYPNP seq Megasquirt
View Worklog
noluv

Post by noluv »

marcdh wrote::lol: people just get sick of the same questions, each time someone new asks theres a harsher response! And just in case, the ebay superchargers are BS too ;)

i understand that but friggin hell give a newb a chance.
thanks for reply.they are the ebay ones,very cheap and i was just wanting to know if there any good at all and what they actually do.i will have a deeper look in the search.
atb
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

noluv wrote:
i know if i was reading a topice that i knew about,weather they had searched or not i would help if i could "the hole idea of a forum"!!

I did search and there was a load of different piggy back sytems which obviously wasnt the one i was talking about,so thats why i asked the question.
thank you and as i say if you cant help me or cant resist making fun of me then dont post!
appreciated.

ps if any thing you should be helping me as a fellow mx3 owner and lover "not b----ing" ban me for what exactly?
got to my room?with comments like that you should be banned,as simple as that,if you got nothing good to say dont say it at all.

typical noob response... go on the defensive and say, 'what else is this forum here for but to answer q's?' we've seen this time again too along with your noob questions.

the answer is, we're NOT here to be your personal researchers. the point of a forum is not to blindly answer every single question thats been asked no matter how many times, however stupid.

the point of a forum is to help others and HELP YOURSELF. the point is, the answer to your question is already on here. YOU not only want the answer to this question, you want someone to hold your hand and show you where it is. that's crap.

you need to ask yourself, if we're here to help you, how do you yourself contribute? and the answer to that is, even if you're not actively contributing, you can passively do so, by taking your OWN time to find the answers that are already here, instead of wasting everyone ELSE's time to answer it for you for the millionth time, and then claim that's what we're here for anyway.

sometimes i can't resist and just respond these, but i think the real solution is to ignore stupid, repetitive questions altogether. give them no choice but to help themselves.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

noluv wrote:
marcdh wrote::lol: people just get sick of the same questions, each time someone new asks theres a harsher response! And just in case, the ebay superchargers are BS too ;)

thanks for reply.they are the ebay ones,very cheap and i was just wanting to know if there any good at all and what they actually do.i will have a deeper look in the search.
atb

this jsut shows how little you listen, even when someone gives you the answer. there arent ANY crappy little chips you stick on and 'make your car go faster.' your search is over, buddy
noluv

Post by noluv »

ninjajim4 wrote:
noluv wrote:

appreciated.

typical noob response... go on the defensive and say, 'what else is this forum here for but to answer q's?' we've seen this time again too along with your noob questions.

the answer is, we're NOT here to be your personal researchers. the point of a forum is not to blindly answer every single question thats been asked no matter how many times, however stupid.

the point of a forum is to help others and HELP YOURSELF. the point is, the answer to your question is already on here. YOU not only want the answer to this question, you want someone to hold your hand and show you where it is. that's crap.

you need to ask yourself, if we're here to help you, how do you yourself contribute? and the answer to that is, even if you're not actively contributing, you can passively do so, by taking your OWN time to find the answers that are already here, instead of wasting everyone ELSE's time to answer it for you for the millionth time, and then claim that's what we're here for anyway.

sometimes i can't resist and just respond these, but i think the real solution is to ignore stupid, repetitive questions altogether. give them no choice but to help themselves.
as i said if id seen a newb asking questions and i knew answer i would post "thats what id do to contribute".
what are you doing to contribute except make the forum look messy and negative with your negative replys.
i wont reply to your posts any more as im not here to argue specialy over some thing so stupid.
noluv

Post by noluv »

ninjajim4 wrote:
noluv wrote:

atb

this jsut shows how little you listen, even when someone gives you the answer. there arent ANY crappy little chips you stick on and 'make your car go faster.' your search is over, buddy
this jsut shows how little you listen, "yeah i didnt listen and i admit it as i can only read"
where did i say they make them faster?
i asked what they do and if there any good?"look at your quote!!.
well you guys know how to make newbies feel welcome but i dont mind,not going to argue so post what you like.
forgot you lot was born with mx3s and know every thing.
i like the way youve all ganged up and trying to bully me but it really dont bother me as it only you guys that look silly,not me,i blatently admit i know nothing any way and is why i asked.
just a shame you lot have to mess up a good forum over some thing so minor when a simple mate they dont work and do a search was all you needed to say.
i wont reply again so good luck with making members feel welcome,i really liked the welcome you all gave me :D

ps you lot sure your even old enough to drive?
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

noluv wrote:
as i said if id seen a newb asking questions and i knew answer i would post "thats what id do to contribute".
what are you doing to contribute except make the forum look messy and negative with your negative replys.
i wont reply to your posts any more as im not here to argue specialy over some thing so stupid.
maybe you'd have that attitude the first time. or the second. or the tenth time around. but trust me... it gets old.

what am i doing to contribute? look over my posts and see. in this particular case, i'm trying to educate a noob in some forum etiquette. obviously a pointless endeavor.

you wonder why you're being ganged up on. yes, it must be because we're just a bunch of meanies. we're all elitest mx-3ers who can't stand it when someone doesn't know everything about our cars. it couldn't possibly be because we have a valid point. gosh how young and stupid i sound.
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

there is a sort of difference, though you would get differing opinions, between a "Chip" and a "Piggyback".

There are Piggyback systems out there which intercept sensor data and modify it to enhance the functionality of the ECU. MAP ECU is one that I have researched. It's main purpose is to eliminate the stock Mass Air Flow/Vane Air Flow sensor in favor of a more accurate Mean Absolute Pressure sensor to determine fuel mixture.

A "Chip" can be many things. Some are legitimate performance enhancers. Modern cars which are "Chipable" can be dramatically improved by updating the firmware on the ECU or by replacing the EPROM with one with alternate progamming.

In the case of the MX-3 and pretty much anything you see from a EBAY store, the "Chip" they refer to is really a resistor. The resistor adds resistance to the VAF signal tricking the ECU into enriching the air/fuel mixture. This will probably improve the car's performance at RPM's where the mixture is lean, but at RPM's where the mixture is already good, or a little rich, it can really mess up performance and will destroy your fuel economy overall.

We all want to help you. The problem with you asking questions which have been asked many times in the past is that the archive gets more and more clogged with threads which contain variants of the same information...making the search tool less and less useful...making people less and less inclined to use the search tool. Most of these things can be found within 10 minutes when a sensible search strategy is employed. Frustration aside, the "Stupid Noob Question" issue does have a serious negative affect on the ability of the forum to do "what it's here to do".
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wytbishop wrote:This will probably improve the car's performance at RPM's where the mixture is lean, but at RPM's where the mixture is already good, or a little rich, it can really mess up performance and will destroy your fuel economy overall.
No man, lean is better for performance
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
marcdh

Post by marcdh »

Now I'm confused, I thought I read on megamanual that lean was best for performance and efficiency, going hand in hand...Now I'm seeing this:
Stoichiometric air/fuel ratios are not necessarily the optimal target for best power or economy though. For best power, you will want to run rich, for best economy you will want to run lean of stoich:
View Worklog

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”