my next ze project... advice please!

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
stereoking15

Re: my next ze project... advice please!

Post by stereoking15 »

i tried putting a udp on my ze when i first had it and it caused havov from, lower oil pressure, lower voltage, and kept eating belts, happy with a stock balancer no issues since i put this back on. i am going on a thurd no on that as well
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Mooneggs wrote: Here's what I'm thinking for my list so far:

kl31 cammed ze with de valvetrain
k8 ecu with probinator chip
awr motor mounts front/rear (94 durometer) / mazdaspeed filled motor mounts for the sides
srd control arm bushings/engine mount bushings/ front rear tie bars
mx-3 transmission
Big Bore TB
exhaust - pacesetter or ssautochrome headers (undecided) to 2 1/4" piping
Millenia Alternator
A/C removal + smaller belt for the water pump and alternator.
I am keeping power steering
HEI mod
suspension?
flywheel?

But I have a few questions below:

I am wondering which flywheel to go with. I have read/heard that the mx-3 flywheel works well with the ze + mx-3 tranny. I'm currently using a fidanza flywheel with my kl01 cammed ze + 626 tranny and I like it but I'm wondering if a different setup would be more ideal. Advice please!

I'm also wondering what would be the best suspension setup. I've searched and there is alot of conflicting information just because everyone has different things they like. I was thinking about maybe the zx2 strut conversion with B+G lowering springs, or maybe the k sport coilovers. Advice please!

I currently do not have a UDP nor have I ever used one... would this be good to include in my list? are there any cons to installing this? what brand?
First of all, If you want ideas for autocross, look for post by ProtegeSTS. Losta info and very valuable information for you will reside in his posts. Too bad he's not around anymore.

DE valvetrain is a good idea. Cams, depends. For drag I'd hightly recommend the KL31's. For autocross, it's hard to say. I've heard the 31 cams have plenty of low end, but I know the 01 with it's lower peak torque have alot of power for autocross to basically to any course I've done so far in 2nd gear, using 3rd only on some long straights. However in both drag and autox, I've heard many complains about the gears being too short. A 4.11:1 geared tranny would probably be suitable for both cases. LSD would be a great idea as far as I've been told by autocrossers and draggers.

Good idea on the mounts and even getting and filling the MS side mounts. Control arm bushing should help for wheelhop too.

The only disadvantage to a bored out throttle body is sometimes theres issues setting it to idle perfectly, but it helps responce and top end power.

Millenia alternator is a good idea, but athough really only needed if your running a good amount of accessories. Apparently it takes about 1hp extra to run, but I've also heard that the car feels like it runs better and is more responsive.

Powersteering i highly recommend for autocross. It's nice to be able to keep one hand onthe wheel and the other working the shifter and possibly the ebrake. So much easier to literally throw the car around.

HEI mod + coil, yes

ECU, the Probinator would probably give you the better results, proper vris points and a more linear power output, the KL31/36's are more fuel efficient, but for performance, the Probinator is what you want. With that, just get the curved neck IM, it flows better and with the Probinator, the VRIS is no longer an issue.

flywheel, definitely. Having it rev up quicker would be good for acceleration. The fact that the revs will drop quicker so it may be a little trickier for autocrossing.

For suspension, i wouldn't do the Zx/2, those are basically OEM type replacement for lowering springs since putting on shorter springs would underdampen the struts. Any spring you choose would suffice, just good struts if what you want, ideally MazdaSpeed, if you can find then, or the Koni inserts. K-sport would probably be ideal, but getting them to this side of the pond will not be cheap.

UDP seems to be hit and miss, but for it to work, since you will not have a harmonic balancer would be to get the engine balanced, depending on how much you want to spend on the motor. I'm giving one a try. If you do, get either a rr-racing or an unorthodox.

Exhaust, either 2.25 or 2.5 I'd say go for 2.5 crush bend (mantrel will be expensive and hard to find a shop that does it) You'll want 2.5 for more top end. 2.25 will give you a bit more lower end torque sacrificing a bit of top end. People used to look for specifically 2.5" inner diameter and have it mantrel bent for best performance...i guess that has changed since everyone on here lately seems to be saying to go with 2.25". I've got 2.5" crush bent stainless.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
stereoking15

Post by stereoking15 »

by a raise of hands how many have autocrosses more then once or twice? :!: racing since 2005 and have a championship in 2005 in street mod class and have many wins in class and very competive overall last big race 10th out of 110 entries raw time, first in class. back in june

lightweight flywheel wont hurt at all as long as you know how to drive, suspension wise i am running gr2's and b&g springs tokico blues act like pudding and have the responses of molasses and are very failure prone. most skilled and know howed drivers race with both hands on the wheel at all times except to shift. an LSD is a must!! when i race even in second gear at relatively tight corners at 25-30mph i can smoke the tires for minimum 60ft if i dont let off. coilover using a gr2 or koni insert would be great, the new ksports look awesone. horsepowerfreaks.com has them for like $1155. those and an lsd plus slicks are my next purchase. you can have a less powerful moter i.e. k8 with a proper set up and on smaller courses dominate....hence my 2005 championship then when you go to a larger track you may lose too the 400+ hp cars just like last weekend where the cars that beat me were cobras and corvettes.

just like the miata it doesnt have power, but it is the ultimate track beast if properly set up.
94 gs ze swapped,front mount oil cooler,b&g springs, kyb gr2 struts, vris deleted, gutted, racing 4 point harness. centerforce dual friction clutch, BREMBO ROTORS X4, CARBOTECH XP10 front pads, ebc green stuff rear PADS, corksport brake lines & clutch line, hei mod w/ msd blaster 3, MAZDASPEED motor mounts, B&M short shifter, M-FACTORY LSD, Carbon fiber hatch with lexan window.
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

this is all excellent advice and I thank you for taking the time to respond!

I know that I definately want to use a klze even if it puts me in another class! I have kl01 cams + 626 tranny right now and I'm just not sure... it feels like I'm not getting enough power quick enough so that's why I was going with the mx-3 tranny and kl31 cams. I still want this to be fun on the street too!! LOL! 8)

all in all right now I want to do this for fun... maybe I'm not winning anything... but I guess it's more of just a personal thing with me and my car... if I end up winning some stuff along the way that's great!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

OK first suggestion, instead of going with Millenia alt. why not just get yours beefed up. Now fro my stupid suggestion, there's a process by Calico Coatings in North Carolina where their CT-5 coating is applied to the piston rods to reduce windage and drag from oil adhearing to the rods. Suppose to really add to the engines acceleration and horsepower.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

stereoking15 wrote:by a raise of hands how many have autocrosses more then once or twice? :!: racing since 2005 and have a championship in 2005 in street mod class and have many wins in class and very competive overall last big race 10th out of 110 entries raw time, first in class. back in june

lightweight flywheel wont hurt at all as long as you know how to drive, suspension wise i am running gr2's and b&g springs tokico blues act like pudding and have the responses of molasses and are very failure prone. most skilled and know howed drivers race with both hands on the wheel at all times except to shift. an LSD is a must!! when i race even in second gear at relatively tight corners at 25-30mph i can smoke the tires for minimum 60ft if i dont let off. coilover using a gr2 or koni insert would be great, the new ksports look awesone. horsepowerfreaks.com has them for like $1155. those and an lsd plus slicks are my next purchase. you can have a less powerful moter i.e. k8 with a proper set up and on smaller courses dominate....hence my 2005 championship then when you go to a larger track you may lose too the 400+ hp cars just like last weekend where the cars that beat me were cobras and corvettes.
I've autocrossed a half dozen times, my work schedule/location (out of country) was always an issue with getting out to events. This year, well, my motor's blown, so no racing or shows this year. I usually place pretty up there, I almost placed 1st in my class in Virginia but was off by a few seconds....but I just drive for the fun of and thrill of it...it's pretty wild and wreckless run, but god it's fun. Passengers love it too :) I've been told from the racers there that LSD on FWD makes a great difference and is highly recommended. I race usually one handed; with a 12" racing wheel it doesn't take much to turn the car, that and I'm pretty damn quick at palming the wheel (thanks to many years of winter driving fun), while I hold myself with the handle on the door with my left hand. Tokico blues are what's used in the ZX2 suspension, but that's just an OEM-type replacement for lowered Mx-3's, it's not something for some hard racing.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

my reccomendations as a former scca autocross member, an udp is not worth the risk I have one and almost put it on but my mechanic told me not to and I listen when he speaks... fidanza flywheel has always worked great for me but I also have never tried the mx-3 flywheel on my ZE. My KL31 ecu works great. LSD would be a great investment. Seems how you going to be in a diff class with ZE you might as well turbo or SC it I lean towards SC for autocross and turbo for strip. Extremely lightweight rims(preferably stock size) is also a great investment. Removal of AC is a good idea strip as much of the interior out as you can because the less weight the better, some traction control bars. I have H&R springs with zx-2 stuts and they seem to work good 4 me. new suspension bushings and such.. thats all I can think of 4 now. O yea CAI if you dont already have 1.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
V8KOMX3
Supporting Member

Post by V8KOMX3 »

also if you do get to drag racing it or even autocross putting some ice dry or regular can help give a lil extra boost if its real hot out.
Teal 1993 MX3GSZE
Mooneggs
Forum Moderator
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Mooneggs »

thanks for the advice!

I am debating right now if I should get 88 or 95 durometer awr front and rear motor mounts... I have 88 in the fast car right now and I am happy with them but I'm wondering if 95 would do even better....
projectzemx3

Post by projectzemx3 »

turbulence23 wrote:why do you favor the straight neck over the curved if i may ask?
because straight neck is bad a--
NEED PARTS INSTALLED? PM ME!
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

straight neck is a pain in the a--!

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”