another EGR question...

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gods Father

another EGR question...

Post by Gods Father »

ok ive read like every EGR post on here and still no one seems to KNOW do you need an EGR with a KLZE and a probinatored ECU? and if i do can i just do a block off plate and i dont have to connect anything else except the wiring? (the vacuum lines and the line to the back header?) thanks for your help...

PS i tried getting all this information in another post ("Everything EGR") so that it might be possible to make an FAQ about it but everyone responded with things just sayin how much they hate the EGR and all that...not very helpful...thanks again
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
Nd4SpdSe

Re: another EGR question...

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

You can do whatever you want with the EGR on the ZE, keep it or not it's upto you....but if you don't want to keep it block it off.

You can use the EGR system with the Probinator chip, it's still functional, it's just that it doesn't show a CEL on the dash, but it will give a code, if the EGR system isn't right/not connected.

Ironicly, you can pass emission test with a KL31/36 ECU and no EGR, but you'll need it to pass with a Probinator.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
coltfoet5

Post by coltfoet5 »

You do not need EGR on the KLZE like the above post says. You will have a CEL if you don't use it but thats all.
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

thanks for the replies guys...if i do keep it so i get no CEL do i still have to connect it to the headers and the vacuum lines or can i just connect it to the plug?
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

If u choose to keep it you will need to hook it up just like it was on your K8 vac lines, sensors, and ex. tube. But you have to realize somthing that your motor does not need egr to run at all. It simply for emmisions and thats it mean doesnt effect your preformace and even though you have a CEL your ECU will not go into limp mode at all . So if u dont have to do emissions test take it off its usless. Ive ran a K8,DE, and ZE /w no EGR, meaning blockoff plate and NO sensors, vac lines, or anything related to it for years now and not once have it effected gas milage, AFR's, or preformance.
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

Nd4SpdSe wrote:Ironicly, you can pass emission test with a KL31/36 ECU and no EGR, but you'll need it to pass with a Probinator.
Really, I've always just barely passed my e-tests with my old KL36 ECU and no egr, but I recently got a probinator. What would the probinator change that'd make an egr necessary to pass?
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

Ppobinator seems to use a richer fuel map. Mx3autozam just tried his and it failed so he had to swap back to a ZE ECU. The ZE ECU's aren't EGR aware so it makes no difference, but the Probinator is, so you can connect and use the EGR with a Probinator.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

i really dont want a check engine light...is there any way to get rid of the CEL without connecting the EGR?...does the probinator eliminate the CEL for the EGR if its not connected?

Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I've got a ZE, a probinator, and no egr. I've had some engine lights since I got the ECU, but never one for the egr.
Gods Father

Post by Gods Father »

thanks thats what im hoping for...but it seems like theres some mixed reviews on this outcome...can anyone else say the same? (klze...probinator...no egr...no CEL...) thanks again

shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

The ECU expects to see (approx) 33ohms resistance across the solenoid connectors. If it doesnt see proper resistance it will put up codes 28 (vacuum) & 29 (vent).
The ECU also expects to see 0.8V from the EGR valve position sensor in closed position and about 5v when its open (when the EGR vacuum solenoid is active). If it doesnt see proper voltages the ECU will put up code 16.

Normally those codes will cause the CEL to be on. With some probinator chips the codes will not turn on the CEL - but will be stored "silent" in the ECU - that is if you jump TEN->GND the CEL will flash those codes.
One way to get rid of codes is to have the solenoids, vacuum lines and the EGR valve hooked up - but you dont have to hook up the exhaust part of it.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”