K8ZE??

General Mazda MX-3 Discussions
jbud1291

K8ZE??

Post by jbud1291 »

i was looking around on the internet looking at how much i would have to spend on a klze or klde and i found this
http://jdm-online.com/index.php?main_pa ... ucts_id=27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

never heard or of this engine before. i was thinking maybe i could get this because its alot cheaper lol
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
solo_ryder

Re: K8ZE??

Post by solo_ryder »

Some ppl have them, but they are not that much different then a regular K8, your still better off getting a DE or a ZE. Unless you really care about mileage. I am also not sure what ecu you run for that motor.
npspears

Post by npspears »

well the ze has 140 hp, which is like 5 or 10 hp more than a regular K8. Big woop. But you'd have a rare engine.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

135bhp with a 7500rpm redline.

It's a nice alternative if you have an automatic and you don't want to swap to a manual for a KL swap

If you hav a 5-speed, you'd be better off swapping for a KL.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

I have considered that route as well...for the affordability.The upside to me is that you could probably get a direct replacement engine with 30 - 50k miles on it for about $750 shipped.

It would be a direct swap but I don't know if it would run on the K8 ECU. It would have no EGR, but I'm not sure if it has the same ignition and other sensors and such.

I think it would be a good low cost alternative to rebuilding your K8 or swapping in a DE or ZE.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

yea its says it has 140hp which is only like 5-10 more hp but it also says it has 160lbs of torque per foot compared to the regular k8 with only 115lbs of torque which is a big difference
93 GS SE - Raspberry metallic. K8 - 2 1/4in exhaust w/Magnaflow street series muffler, Custom intake, Kyb Gr2's w/Apex springs, Full kenwood audio - SOLD
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

For that price you can get a DE easily and a ZE is almost that price. I got my ZE for $750 from an importer in New Jersey so theyre not too much money and the gain in power makes the MX-3 so much more fun. Save up alittle more and go with a ZE, nothing comes close to it if you want a good stock motor for the MX that is still reliable and gets good gas mileage.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

illa killa where in jersey was your motor shipped from? because i live in jersey and have been looking around for ze's and de's
OutlaW

Post by OutlaW »

Some people here think that i have a K8ZE ... i dont know ... but i have seen that ...
K8 :: 136.8 bhp---160 nm---108.0 whp---118lbs/torque
ET: 15.567 @ 136 kmh (84 mph)
"Racing a Honda is like being in the special Olympics, you may win, but in the end your still retarded."
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

jbud1291 wrote:yea its says it has 140hp which is only like 5-10 more hp but it also says it has 160lbs of torque per foot compared to the regular k8 with only 115lbs of torque which is a big difference
The K8 ZE is 135hp, not 140. You could probably get the 140-144 that is was supposibely able to make at the end, but you'll need to convert to OBDII, use the K8ZE ECU from a 98 Mx-3 to get those numbers. Even if you got a "144hp" K8, its higher power is more likely from the more advanced ECU running more efficiently., Maybe they used slightly more aggressive cams or changed the IM to get a few more hp, who knows, regardless, if running a K8ZE on the older OBDI system, you'll never get past 135, I'd almost guarantee it. Secondly, there's in no way that that motor makes 160ft-lbs/tq. A DE/ZE makes around 160/165. It makes 115 just like a regular K8.

Never trust what an Importer's side lists for motor details, it's not always right, and exagerated numbers do help sell the motors.
Illa Killa wrote:For that price you can get a DE easily and a ZE is almost that price. I got my ZE for $750 from an importer in New Jersey so theyre not too much money and the gain in power makes the MX-3 so much more fun. Save up alittle more and go with a ZE, nothing comes close to it if you want a good stock motor for the MX that is still reliable and gets good gas mileage.
Ya, exactly. Maybe if you were getting the motor for like $200 or something it would be worth it if your short on cash and don't want to upgrade the ECU or clutch. Regardless preventative maintenance like timing belt and waterpump really should be done
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
wytbishop

Post by wytbishop »

That's the point really. If you do a ZE or even a DE you really need to do clutch, exhaust...yada, yada, to do it right. Plus shipping for most people its gonna be $300 minimum for any engine from the east or the west. If you're lucky and you live close maybe it is financially easier. I could drive to Calgary and inspect the engines at JDMSource, but not everyone has that chance.

On the other hand you can get a K8ZE to your door for $750-800 and don't need to upgrade anything aside from preventative maintenance...which you'd have to do on any engine.
94' RS/GS/MS/CF Monster Turbo...coming soon.
93' GS SE, the Black Beast, the former love of my life...soon to be gutted and crushed.
94' GS, black on black, now in several small pieces...and one large crushed piece.
2007 Mazda3 GT Sport --- super fun
2004 Honda RC51 --- Lost forever to some theavin' bastard
My Worklog
My feedback thread
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

yea i was thinking to myself about the k8ze having 160lbs/ft and i thought it was a little wierd but u guys cleared that up for me lol. but yea thanks for the info and ill probably end up getting a ze or de i was just curious
2RotorsNaDream
Supporting Member

Post by 2RotorsNaDream »

jbud1291 wrote:illa killa where in jersey was your motor shipped from? because i live in jersey and have been looking around for ze's and de's
I pcked it up from a place called Japanese Engines Inc in Paterson NJ. The guy always has alot of ZEs there and the motors are always clean. I have bought two ZEs and a BP motor there with absolutely no problems.
Image1993 Mazda RX-7 Touring Edition Innocent Blue Mica- Not stock...
1993 Teal MX-3 GS- KLZE and other goodies. RIP
jbud1291

Post by jbud1291 »

cool i guess ill have to look them up thanks illa
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

wytbishop wrote:That's the point really. If you do a ZE or even a DE you really need to do clutch, exhaust...yada, yada, to do it right. Plus shipping for most people its gonna be $300 minimum for any engine from the east or the west. If you're lucky and you live close maybe it is financially easier. I could drive to Calgary and inspect the engines at JDMSource, but not everyone has that chance.

On the other hand you can get a K8ZE to your door for $750-800 and don't need to upgrade anything aside from preventative maintenance...which you'd have to do on any engine.
Yes and no. If your pulling the motor, more likely the clutch is far from new, would be a good idea to put a new one in. Would be a very good idea is you don't do the work yourself. You don't need to upgrade the exhaust. I didn't, but it decided to go less than 2 months afterwards anyway. On a basic swap, you'd just pay for the ECU and the difference from stock to an upgraded clutch. The rest is stuff you should do in terms of preventative maintenance would be the same no matter the motor. The rest you can do later. It's a tough call IMO. It all comes down to how cheap you can get that motor.

Return to “General Mazda MX-3”