start-up troubles

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
npspears

start-up troubles

Post by npspears »

alright guys, I finally got all of the parts on my car since my engine rebuild. Finally got the axle situation taken care of and got my clutch hydraulics working right. I put fluids in today and proceeded to start the car but it was a no go. Starter went and I believe I heard the compression, sounded good, but I didn't hear the fuel pump. Took off a fuel line but my friend didn't see any fuel come out. Actually took of the rear seat and unhooked the fuel line going to the engine. At first some fuel came out but when we started the car nothing came out. So I think my fuel pump is bad. What do you guys think? Sound like a fuel pump? Are there any other things I can do to nail it down to being the fuel pump?

Also, what are the chances that the fuel pump relay is bad?

As always, thanks
nightridergsr

Re: start-up troubles

Post by nightridergsr »

I'd say check relay, fuses, and check all electrical connections to fuel pump. Make sure its hooked up properly, before spending money on new one. Did the pump work before you did your rebuild? Should be able to hear pump turn on when you turn key to "on" postion. Cheers ~
SuperK
Supporting Member

Post by SuperK »

I am not exactly sure what the fail rate on relays are...

... but if you need an extra one, I have one.

Also check the strainer on the fuel pump, I know of someone who had it clogged, and wouldn't start.
Bane
'93 Mazda MX-3 ZE
She Hates Me
My For Sale Thread
My Feedback Thread
My GS Worklog Thread
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Jump F/P->GND in the diag box - that will make the fuel pump turn on with the key.
npspears

Post by npspears »

Update: I did the F/P to GND on the diagnostic box and the fuel pump did turn on. I had the fuel pump out of the tank so I know it turned on, but when I took off the jump to F/P and GND and cranked it, the fuel pump did not turn on? Shouldn't the fuel pump turn on when this happens? Is my relay bad, my ecu bad?

One last thing, with the car off, should I be able to shift through my gears when the clutch is not pressed in? I just installed a new clutch btw, maybe I installed the tranny wrong?

thanks
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

shifting through gears when car is off and clutch out is normal. Just happens that all the dog teeth are lined up. Sometimes it may take some forcing to get it in, but don't make a habit :). As long as your shifter doesn't feel dead (empty, no resistance anywhere, can break the normal pattern (like go from 1st to 5th without the "down" movement):P), then you're good.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
npspears

Post by npspears »

Ok, thanks Ryan, I had a manual Ford Ranger a few years ago and I just couldn't remember if that was normal. Now if I can just figure out this fuel situation...
Ryan
antispam: ~SPAM*SUX~

Post by Ryan »

Its harder in some transmissons than others, which I suppose makes sense with all the different systems.
Now with Moderator power!

Black '93 BP RS - wrecked, parted, scrapped.
Green GS - Sold.
Black GS - Summer DD/Race car - Fancy KLZE
Red GS - K8-ATX -> MTX-KLDE - Frakencar. Scrapped
White GS - Rusty. Parts. Scrapped
1997 BMW M3 - my summer baby
2002 BMW 325Xi - sold
2003 Forester Xti - EJ20K swapped.
Feedback
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Do you have any codes? Does the fuel pump turn on when you move the VAF flap (if you have SOHC)? The ECU also needs to "see" some RPM before it turns the pump on.

Also - does the car start with the F/P-GND jumpered?

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”