Oxygen Sensor for what car?

V6 Technical/Performance Discussions
Gods Father

Oxygen Sensor for what car?

Post by Gods Father »

i am doing a klze swap sould i buy O2 sensors for a probe or an mx3?
1993 MX-3 w/ straight neck KLZE swap...Probe GT 2.5in headers, Custom exhaust w/ test pipe and OBX Twin Loop Tip, Bully Stage 3 Clutch, Fidanza Flywheel, Pheno Spacers, HEI mod, Blaster SS coil, Probinator chip, TWM short shifter, AWR front and rear mounts (88 Durometer), and Corksport braided clutch line...so far

Ever see the lone rider of the night? Well he'll find you and then you'll never him again...
Daninski
Supporting Member

Re: Oxygen Sensor for what car?

Post by Daninski »

The consideration is the ECU so buy the ones for your car. Buy Denso's they're the factory ones.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
Nd4SpdSe

Post by Nd4SpdSe »

I believe they're pretty much universal. I ordered mine as a Probe, but Millenia, 626 and Mx-6 should be the same.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 GSR - 2.5L KLZE : Award Winning Show Car & Race Car ['02-'09] (Retired)
2004 Mazda RX-8 GT - Renesis Wankel : LS3 Coils, BHR Mid-Pipe + Falken RT-615K 245/40r18
2011 Mazda Mazda2 GS - 1.5L Manual : Yozora Edition (1 of 500)
2003 Nissan Xterra SE - 4x4 Supercharged : 2" Body Lift, 4" Suspension Lift & 33" MTR Kevlar
2001 Nissan Frontier SE - The Frontrailer : Expedition/Off-Road Trailer Project
mazdamx3freak

Post by mazdamx3freak »

bosch universal 4 wire for the probe/mx6 is the cheapest at 64.00usd each
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

just fyi, if you get an oem style one, the probe one won't work, you'd have to splice the wires, in which case you may as well get a universal one anyway. i've seen them as cheap as 25 bucks on ebay
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

You know I could be over playing this but the way I see it the O2 sensor is the basis for your fuel correction. If the ECU should be varying fuel flow from a sensor reporting lets say .3 to .55 volts and the universal you install reports .4 to .7 volts wouldn't that be significant?
Last edited by Daninski on August 13th, 2008, 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

i suppose? are you saying that that is what a universal one does? i have one and it runs fine
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I'm just saying that if universal is fine why are there so many specific sensors for different cars. Sure OBD2 cars would need a different one from OBD! but still. Why so many, must be a reason. I went with exact replacement for my 96.
http://home.att.net/~ngksparkplugs/wsb/ ... e_Rev1.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

You have a point, but unless we get those actual voltage numbers, then I'm just going to buy the cheap ones and same myself lots of money for beer.

Heres how I see it - The reason there are SO many options (meaning specific for each car) is because the people making them know then can get alot more for them if they fit a car specific plug...sure some might be slightly different, but its not the most complicated part.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

Money for beer eh? Good point. Don't let EGR find out. He'll be over mooching.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

ninjajim4

Post by ninjajim4 »

i agree... all the sensors for the K series are the same. for example you can use the same TPS off a K8, DE, ZE, doesnt matter. that the plug connector happens to be different doesn't bother me at all. i'm sure if you looked up alternators at autozone for an mx-3 and a probe, you'd get differnt part numbers and price points too, but they're the exact same thing
Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

I'm gonna throw my 2 cents at this, I recently tried some $25 4-wire universal bosch's, they seemed to work all right, but the car wasn't running the greatest. Not much different from before I changed 'em. So I read up on Seafoam and tried it through a vaccuum line, it destroyed the sensors, inversion and inactivation codes on both. So I bought some Denso 3-wires for an MX-6 from RockAuto, 3-wire was a mistake, wrong year range. But I spliced 'em in, and the car's been running better than it has in a long time. I was even able to finally set my idle properly, couldn't get it to go below about 1k without hunting.

So I put my vote in for Denso sensors, O2s are too important for proper fuel to cheap out on.
onlytrueromeo

Post by onlytrueromeo »

BOSCH DOES NOT WORK ON OUR CARS.

That's the reason your car ran poorly. Bosch ANYTHING does not work well in our cars, well mostly. Spark plugs, O2 sensors, etc, they're designed for European cars, not the mx3.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

I spoke with a North American tech rep for Bosch and they said car manufacturers have specific specs for their O2 sensors. So go ahead an buy universal. Like they say, you can pay us now or pay us later. Besides who wants to screw around cutting and crimping or soldering on the plug only to have it fail from corrosion 6 months later. Yes some do come with the specific plug nut most don't. RockAuto has good prices and they're legit. I don't trust Ebay for stuff like this. Too many bogus, Ivanknockoff parts.
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
7477th member.

Jutzi420

Post by Jutzi420 »

If you make a good solder joint and use properly sized heat shrink tubing the connection should last the life of the car... or sensor I guess. Doesn't change the fact that you get what you pay for as far as O2 sensor quality.

Return to “V6 Technical/Performance”