VICS and Idle

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
mdgain

VICS and Idle

Post by mdgain »

I have a 94 1.6L DOCH. I am looking for a VICS solenoid if someone would point me in the right direction.

Also, I have been all over this site trying to find an answer to the Idle issue. That is the Idle drops really low when any electrical load is on.(i.e. brakes, a/c, defroster, power windows, ect..) I have had a recent tune-up to include all the basics. I have set my TPS, cleaned my IAC and throttle body, my battery and alternator both checked good, and the only code my ecu spits out is 41. Which is the VICS #1. The solenoid did check Bad but surely this would not be the cause of my idling problem....would it?
shameem
Supporting Member

Re: VICS and Idle

Post by shameem »

Clean up ground points and add more grounds.

The VICS operates above 4750 RPM -

Best bet to get a solenoid is to hit up junkyards - any solenoid that routes vacuum will work - you just have to find one that matches up to your connector - if you cant find one - you can get the connector and splice it into your harness - polarity doesnt matter.

For temporary fix - you can unplug the connector and put a 33 ohm resistor on the connector - that will get rid of the code.

Also check to make sure that the vacuum lines are good and leak proof.
mdgain

Post by mdgain »

I have added two 8 gauge ground wires already. One from the battery to the chassis and another from the engine to the chassis.

I have done the WD-40 trick and couldn't find any leaks. My hoses are in good condition and I even went as far as replacing the accordion section of the air inlet tube with a metal section.

So what should I try next. I'm open for any suggestions. Thanks in advance for the advice!
mdgain

Post by mdgain »

OH and I forgot to mention, my resonator is gurgling, but I don't think that would affect my idle!?!
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Connect a voltmeter up to the battery - have the car running and monitor the voltage when you are having idle problems - if the voltage dips below 13v then your voltage regulator (inside the alternator) and or battery maybe shot. How did you test your battery/alt?

The intake resonator does make some noise - it is there to dampen pressure waves caused by abrupt closing of intake valves.

Also two 8AWG wires are not enough - this is an old car and the factory grounds are probably corroded to hell. You need to clean up old grounds and add a few more new grounds. Especially one on top of the tranny, one close to the disty and one close to the alternator.
mdgain

Post by mdgain »

I just had Autozone test them but I was standing on the brakes with the a/c full blast, and it still checked good.

I will add a few more grounds and let you know!

Thanks
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Try unplugging your IAC vavle on the throttle body. That usually fixes the idle up downs
and since its summer its not really necessary for the car to idle high to warm up.
mdgain

Post by mdgain »

Thats a good temp fix, but anal as I am I kind of want it fixed. Its not something I'm proud of! :lol:
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

Ive had 6 throttle bodies, mix of B6 and BP, and all the IAC's have not worked.
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

If you post a pic, I'm going to the Wreckers in the morning (Sat), I'll see if the 4cyl mx3 has what you need.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mdgain

Post by mdgain »

Do they go bad that frequently? When I start the engine cold, it idles high and slowly comes down as the engine warms up. Doesn't that mean it is working or is it the coolant sensor part of it that goes bad?
mdgain

Post by mdgain »

Thanks Daninski but your asking for something way above my computers ability. This damn thing was the first computer ever built :lol:

If it is a 1.6L DOHC from any Mazda model it will have one. It is mounted on a plate with the PRC solenoid on the left side of the intake. (Looking in from the radiator)

I would appreciate anything you can come up with. There is only one wrecking yard out of about 30 in my area that have an MX-3 and it just happens to have a 2.0L in it. Go Figure :shrug:
shameem
Supporting Member

Post by shameem »

Does the idle change happen only when brakes are pressed? Try switching on various stuff without pressing brakes. You may have a vacuum leak in the brake booster or the brake lights may be taking up too much juice (4x24w + 3x12w).

The alternator is usually load tested outside the car on a special rig. Try this - when the engine is running - disconnect the battery positive - the engine should stay running with just the alternator supplying the power (If you put any electrical load the engine will shut off). If the engine runs then its time to look into a new battery or do some serious maintenance on the old battery.
Mi|<E

Post by Mi|<E »

By not working I meant causes the idle fluctuations. My bad sometimes
I don't communicate goodly.
mdgain

Post by mdgain »

No, the Idle changes with any electrical load and just gets worse with each additional load that is added. My "little engine that could", tries to compensate but it just can't or won't for whatever reason.

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”