Need Help!!!! Car won't pass emissions....

4-Cyl. Technical/Performance Discussions
SSR Mx-3

Need Help!!!! Car won't pass emissions....

Post by SSR Mx-3 »

So I went to get my car inspected yesterday and I was given sheet that said I have excess carbon monoxide levels. (I was told to hold a rev for about a minute and a half by the emissions worker, so I held it at 2,600rpm. Could this affect how much CO my car produces? To me it would make more sense that I would produce more emissions while giving the car more gas?) Anyways, Does anybody know how reduce CO emissions?

F.Y.I. My car is a 1992 1.6 SOHC RS with intake, header, and a full cat-back exhaust (Magnaflow High-flow Cat, Magnaflow resonator, and Magnaflow muffler). It currently has 181,xxx miles. It runs perfectly and I still get 33mpg in the city. I change the oil every 2,500-3,000 miles with full synthetic oil. Also the spark plugs and wires were replaced not even 10,000 miles ago at the local Mazda dealership with OEM NGK products.
SSR Mx-3: Custom CAI, custom 2.25 Magnaflow Exhaust (high-flow cat, resonator, & muffler), Genie 4-1 Header, Tokico Blue Struts, H&R Lowering Springs, Corksport front and rear Strut Bars, SSR Competition Wheels (11 lbs), Corksport Short-Shifter, KVR Slotted Front Rotors w/ KVR Carbon FIber Break Pads.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 RS

"God cannot give us happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing."- C.S. Lewis
SSR Mx-3

Re: Need Help!!!! Car won't pass emissions....

Post by SSR Mx-3 »

Also, I replaced the battery last fall with an Optima Yellow Top.... If that helps any
SSR Mx-3: Custom CAI, custom 2.25 Magnaflow Exhaust (high-flow cat, resonator, & muffler), Genie 4-1 Header, Tokico Blue Struts, H&R Lowering Springs, Corksport front and rear Strut Bars, SSR Competition Wheels (11 lbs), Corksport Short-Shifter, KVR Slotted Front Rotors w/ KVR Carbon FIber Break Pads.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 RS

"God cannot give us happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing."- C.S. Lewis
npspears

Post by npspears »

well I'm not really sure, but you could always clean out the EGR valve and pcv valve. If you go the homepage and look on the left or the online manuals those are very helpful.
mudflap13

Post by mudflap13 »

when we had emissions down here and we could nt pass a trip to the local pharmacy is all we needed run your tank till low then go get some alcohol bout a gallon four of the big sized rubbin alcohol will do but if possible fill up with a gallon or two of racin alcohol the idea is have just enough gas left in the tank when mixed with the alcohol it will still run its also good in helpin burn water out of your gas tank any questions hit me up :welder:
LIFE IS A SEXUALLY TRANSMITED, TERMINAL, DESIESE. AND WE ALL SUFFER FROM IT.
mudflap13

Post by mudflap13 »

DO NOT AND I REPEAT DO NOT getthe green stuff just plain ol white/ clear kind
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

I recommend 4 ounces of Acetone per 10 gallons of gas, and be sure the car is hot, when tested. I got my GS to pass emissions this way with NO cat, and Oregon is strict. If you do Isopropyl Alcohol, do the 90%, so it has less water in it.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mudflap13

Post by mudflap13 »

i was just coming back to say get the 90% stuff when fowljesse beat me to it

altho i wouldnt recomend using too much acetone due to the fact its very harmful to plastic components and most rubbers it may work but use very small doses like he sujested
fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

It's a toss-up between the 2, because Isopropyl is corrosive to the metals.
'93 GS - P&P DE w/ ZE exh. cams/ pistns, KLG4 IM, 65mm TB, MSnS, Phenos, K&N RAI, UDP, Grnd wires, rear batt, filld MM, torq strt, TWM short shftr, Exedy, Lng tube hdrs 2.5" Side exhaust, H&R sprngs, Poly bushngs, strutbars, Alum. crss mmber&tiebar, 22mm swybar, solid links, Direzzas, leather int, Alpine 9805 stereo & alrm, keyless entry, 10 Boston Accoustics spkrs, Prjectrs, Blaster2, CF hood, FG hatch, Lexan
mudflap13

Post by mudflap13 »

i do concur either way just use enough of the mixture to get u to the testers and to the nearest gas staiton the fill'er up althe way to dilute and in this case i wouldnt feel bad if i did run out of gas that way u know its all out lol let us know how it goes
SSR Mx-3

Post by SSR Mx-3 »

Alright. I won't be able to go until late next week because school is starting up, but I will definitely let all of you know the outcome of everything. Thanks for the responses! I appreciate it!
1992 Mazda Mx-3 RS

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Try 1 oz each of 90% Isopropyl, and Acetone in 5 gallons of gas (put the additives in, and then the gas), and check your air filter. I wonder if the Cat, being in the back, doesn't get hot enough. Also, high flow ones don't work as well.
SSR Mx-3

Post by SSR Mx-3 »

fowljesse wrote:Try 1 oz each of 90% Isopropyl, and Acetone in 5 gallons of gas (put the additives in, and then the gas), and check your air filter. I wonder if the Cat, being in the back, doesn't get hot enough. Also, high flow ones don't work as well.
This definitely worked for me. A mixture of both did me just fine! Thanks for everybody's help.
1992 Mazda Mx-3 RS

fowljesse
Supporting Member

Post by fowljesse »

Yay! Thanks for posting the result!
Daninski
Supporting Member

Post by Daninski »

No ones commented on why carbon monoxide is produced in the first place. It's a result of incomplete combustion. Sounds like a cat to me, EGR takes care of No does it not. Try running a fuel injector cleaner through as well. Your car should be passing with no probs.
2004 Subaru WRX Silver, stage 2, minty interior.
2002 Subaru WRX Blue, SOLD (best E test numbers I've ever seen)
94 MX-6. Sold
92 GS KLZE 5 Speed
96 GS 5 speed, KLZE, Sold
95 GS Minty Shape Sold
92 GS Sold
92 GS Parts Car scrapped.
Feedback viewtopic.php?f=37&t=66348" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
7477th member.

I know you believe that you understand what you think I said but I'm sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
mudflap13

Post by mudflap13 »

thanks for posting your results any time u need help lemme know

Return to “4-Cyl. Technical/Performance”